FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Samsung S8 Oreo: Specific reason found for massive battery drain in flight mode

685 posts
Thanks Meter: 115

By Tatsch, Senior Member on 11th March 2018, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, be aware that these results were found in several german forums. So probably this reason/cause is valid for european devices, but might not affect US devices or asian devices.

Reason for battery drain in flight mode is the buggy phone modem in Samsung S8 Android 8 Oreo.

In case you experienced massive battery drain in flight mode, you can easily test yourself:
> Set preferred network mode to 2G/3G only, wait 2 minutes and then enable flight mode during night: You will experience only few battery drain, as you know from Android 7 Nougat.

Workaround: Flashing phone modem of Android 7 Nougat. But you will lose OTA Updates capabilities.

So maybe just test and give detailed Feedback to Samsung. If many users do, they have to notice this bug and will hopefully getting it fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tatsch Ad-Free

16th March 2018, 12:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Hey! This is also happening to the S9 too. Hopefully they will fix it one day.
16th March 2018, 03:42 PM |#3  
Flag Banana Paradise
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeFaNaTi3

Hey! This is also happening to the S9 too. Hopefully they will fix it one day.

What? Those post's about the same problems like our s8 series on Oreo are the same on s9 serie?
That sucks. What is going on with Sammy....
16th March 2018, 04:39 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaki-

What? Those post's about the same problems like our s8 series on Oreo are the same on s9 serie?
That sucks. What is going on with Sammy....

The battery life is pretty amazing in general so far after the first few days when it was just average. However i don't think I can put this thing on flight mode now unless I want to drain 10-20% battery overnight. I tried do not disturb mode instead and lost only around 5%
16th March 2018, 04:50 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeFaNaTi3

The battery life is pretty amazing in general so far after the first few days when it was just average. However i don't think I can put this thing on flight mode now unless I want to drain 10-20% battery overnight. I tried do not disturb mode instead and lost only around 5%

There are 2 way to resolve this issue 1) flash/overwrite the Samsung_S8_NOUGAT "CP" file (modem) with Odin 2) switch to 2G/3G before turning on flight mode

I've reported the bug to Samsung Italy Community forums, and now they're investigating the problem (the first Samsung moderator attempt was "...consuming 10-20 in flight mode overnight it's NOT a bug but a normal beahviour..." (!!!) )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdnick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hdnick Ad-Free
17th March 2018, 09:23 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
@hdnick
Could you please give us the URL/link to discussion in italian Samsung community?

Here is the one from the german Samsung community - many users complaining:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...S8/td-p/435743

So we could give that links to Samsung's moderators. I'm not sure wether they communicate across country borders...
18th March 2018, 02:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I'm having the exact same problem on my Note 8 as well.
SM-N950F, Build N950FXXU3CRC1 (Offical Oreo, just released yesterday).
On standby, device uses 1% per hour with Wi-Fi or mobile data turned on (which is normal), but as much as 3% per hour with Flight Mode enabled. (compared to 0.1% per hour on Nougat).
This appears to affect all Samsung devices on Android Oreo (S8, Note8 and S9 at the moment), not sure about S7.
I thought I was the only one having this problem until I found this thread.
Hope Samsung fixes it soon
The Following User Says Thank You to 100055 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 100055 Ad-Free
20th March 2018, 05:36 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Good news:

Samsung could reproduce the issue and is working on it:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/.../435743/page/3

Translation:
"Our experts were able to recreate the problem and are now working on a solution. As soon as we have news, we will let you know here."
20th March 2018, 08:56 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsch

Good news:

Samsung could reproduce the issue and is working on it:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/.../435743/page/3

Translation:
"Our experts were able to recreate the problem and are now working on a solution. As soon as we have news, we will let you know here."

Great! Could you ask them if a fix is also going to come out for the S9?
20th March 2018, 09:35 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
They are aware that the S9 is also affected.
9th April 2018, 07:02 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
I've just made a post on reddit about this (https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/co...drain_on_idle/).

It seems i have this very exact problem!!!!

Except i can eliminate the drain by doing this: restart phone. Inmediately after it starts, put in airplano mode: NO overnight drain.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)