FORUMS

Video Recording Bad Quality

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By MXS801, Member on 28th May 2017, 07:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I shot some video in standard HD and i'm surprised how bad the quality is due to compression artefacts. My S6 shoots way better video than S8.

This can't be possible.

Am I missing something? I can't find any settings for compression.

And there's no way such bad quality is the case when I've seen videos from other ppl and in reviews as well as Samsung's own advertisements/ showcase of camera & video shooting.

Help/ suggestions appreciated, thanks!
28th May 2017, 01:25 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Wait so you are shooting in 720p and expecting good quality?
28th May 2017, 01:44 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrock7

Wait so you are shooting in 720p and expecting good quality?

It's shot in FHD 1080p.

And I've had way better quality on my S6. Something can't be right.

Usually the video on these smartphones, at least since S6 is almost on par with DSLR video.

But now the videos I shot on my S8 are below acceptable. Extremely fuzzy and large compression artefacts that I have never seen before on a smartphone. Not even when I was still on my iPhone 4.

You can see other examples of videos on YouTube that people shot with S8 and on review videos, which is what I was expecting. But not extremely poor video quality.

And there's no settings at all for compression stuff. Any other ideas?
28th May 2017, 01:47 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Here is also a screengrab of a part in the video.

It's a test video done in the kitchen. There was enough light, even bright lights on except in that part where it was a little darker but it should never be this harshly compressed even in somewhat darker or low light conditions.

I mean look at the image. You can barely notice any straight lines and the fridge corner, it's so extremely fuzzy breaking up any straight lines.

29th May 2017, 08:18 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXS801

Here is also a screengrab of a part in the video.

It's a test video done in the kitchen. There was enough light, even bright lights on except in that part where it was a little darker but it should never be this harshly compressed even in somewhat darker or low light conditions.

I mean look at the image. You can barely notice any straight lines and the fridge corner, it's so extremely fuzzy breaking up any straight lines.

My videos looks the same in dark. Terrible & unacceptable :\
It would be better if there is dark in the darkness instead of this software-tuned ****.
29th May 2017, 08:34 AM |#6  
sensationvsgalaxy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
@MXS801 that's exactly why I started this thread a few days ago: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ality-t3613441
any help would be appreciated ..or at least spread the link in so many threads as you can so all can see it..
29th May 2017, 10:51 AM |#7  
AndikaTedja's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Denpasar, Bali
Thanks Meter: 205
 
More
Try this maybe
I have same problem too on low light, try to :
- Set to FHD or higher
- Dont use 60fps
- Disable stabilization
I tried that and seem fixed it
10th June 2017, 09:22 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I'm having the same issue... But wondering why this isn't a widely reported issue?
11th June 2017, 07:08 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
More
Samsung paid for youtube reviews. Those videos were probably shot with thousand dollar dslr cameras. Wonder what the u 11 camera actually looks like. Hm. 🤔
23rd June 2017, 01:18 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndikaTedja

I have same problem too on low light, try to :
- Set to FHD or higher
- Dont use 60fps
- Disable stabilization
I tried that and seem fixed it

Wow I changed from FHD 60fps to normal FHD and what a huge difference, but it should be the opposite really...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes