FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is wireless charging good for your battery?

532 posts
Thanks Meter: 117

By AB__CD, Senior Member on 12th May 2017, 03:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The thing causes my S8 to heat up, even when I turn off the fast option, more so than fast wired charging. Is it really good for my battery health when the phone is heating up for the entire two or three hours on the charger?

12th May 2017, 06:03 AM |#3  
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 608

Donate to Me
More
The phone will stop charging automatically if it thinks the temperature is not comfortable.
Do not stress over things that are mentioned in the manual, inductive charging will generate more heat than a wire, but the phone is more than capable of managing the process and stopping if things get too hot.

And no, the temperature isn't going to get high enough to damage your battery. (Unless you are using unauthorized wireless chargers / fakes that can cause the actual metal casing to heat up, google this).
12th May 2017, 08:07 AM |#4  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I too had this question back when I bought my Wireless Charger for my S7. Interesting to get more feedback from the others. E.g. Does it shorten the battery life quicker considering it heats up the battery more than on cable.
12th May 2017, 06:35 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I've wireless charged my s7 since I got it and also wireless charge my s8. I've also added wireless charging to an LG G3 and G4. IMO it does not degrade the battery and fast. The way I look at it, it saves the charging port from 100's maybe 1000's of plugs/unplugs. It's also a point of device failure, so from that perspective, it's better. Again, IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to mklpickle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mklpickle Ad-Free
13th May 2017, 01:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
notice it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asher22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asher22 Ad-Free
13th May 2017, 02:25 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How about if you introduce the extra variable of putting the thin metal thingies for magnetic car mounts between the phone and the case? Does that change the situation?
13th May 2017, 03:22 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Another variable is a case, which can add to heat build-up. Overall, I have seen nothing definitive that suggests that heat won't adversely effect battery life. Notwithstanding the money companies make selling QI chargers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ljg600 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ljg600 Ad-Free
13th May 2017, 10:23 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarboarder28

with the official samsung one that has a fan?

Well the fan is for the charger itself isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
13th May 2017, 10:28 PM |#10  
Flag London Equador Embassy
Thanks Meter: 589

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB__CD

Well the fan is for the charger itself isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I believe its to cool the phone
14th May 2017, 10:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
The fan in the authentic Samsung Desktop charger only activates if fast wireless charging is turned on in the phone.
The fan is to cool the phone.

I use the Samsung desktop stand but usually just normal charge it to which apart from typical heat being discharged I've not experienced any other issue.
I do not use a case.

There is opinion that constantly using Fast Charging can reduce the batteries condition over time. Wether you believe this is personal opinion. I've only Fast charged maybe 2-3 times if I've needed a quick boost of juice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)