FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Canadian S8 has Unlocked Bootloader, according to Samsung Support.

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

Post Reply Email Thread
So to make it clear that Canadian S8 variant has locked or unlocked bootloader, I asked the live chat. It was quick process for me to get it answered.

info: Thank you for choosing Samsung. A representative will be with you shortly.
info: You are now chatting with ****(Agent name censored). There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (Issue ID Censored)

****: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Me: Hi, I want to ask about Galaxy S8 sold here in Canada. I heard that Galaxy S8 from United States are Bootloader Locked (Doesn't mean SIM lock. Bootloader Lock that prevents boot of custom roms)

Me: Is Canadian ones are bootloader locked?

Me: As a person do not care about Warranty being voided, I was enthusiastic about using custom OS.

****: I see that you are having a question about if canada mobiles are bootloaded.

Me: So not FRP nor SIM lock, but specifically, bootloader Lock

****: I'll get to you on that.

****: Please get me some time.

****: XXXXXX(My name censored), I've been to my resources and found that canada mobiles are not enabled with 'bootloader' function.

****: Are there any other questions for me?

Me: What does it mean?

Me: "Bootloader" function?

****: I'm sorry I was trying to say the canada mobiles doesn't have bootloader.

Me: Doesn't have bootloader? Aren't every devices must have bootloader to boot OS? I just asked whether it is locked or not as locked bootloader means I can't use custom OS.

****: There is no lock for canada S8 mobiles however it is not recommended to have custom OS on the mobile.

Me: So there is absoultely no bootloader lock on Canadian S8? Because I heard that Snapdragon S8 has locked bootloader in USA

****: Yes, there is no bootloader lock on canada S8. You can be sure of that.

Me: So if I buy unlocked S8 directly from samsung.ca, will I have Bootloader unlocked? (NOT meaning SIM lock.)

****: Yes, that is correct. You'll get the mobile Bootloader unlocked.

****: I hope I answered your question.

Me: Thanks for clarifying.

****: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Me: No. That was it

****: Have a good time.

****: Thank you for chatting with Samsung Canada support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive the transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better.

So Canadian S8 seems to have unlocked bootloader unlike USA ones. I think it would be similar to S5 case, when Canadian S5 had unlocked bootloader.

20th May 2017, 02:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
What a load of rubbish, BL is locked, I don't think the reps know the difference between Bootloader and sim. The giveaway is the fact the rep said the phone doesn't have a bootloader, then what is it booting on? That's like buying a car and telling you the car you bought doesn't have an ignition.

BL is locked, beginning and end of story.
The Following User Says Thank You to theeze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theeze Ad-Free
20th May 2017, 06:23 PM |#3  
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 3,814

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeze

What a load of rubbish, BL is locked, I don't think the reps know the difference between Bootloader and sim. The giveaway is the fact the rep said the phone doesn't have a bootloader, then what is it booting on? That's like buying a car and telling you the car you bought doesn't have an ignition.

BL is locked, beginning and end of story.

Agreed. I don't know why people post those idiotic customer support chats as if they prove something.

All the Snapdragon models have locked bootloader.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda6024

So to make it clear that Canadian S8 variant has locked or unlocked bootloader, I asked the live chat. It was quick process for me to get it answered

So Canadian S8 seems to have unlocked bootloader unlike USA ones.

You go ahead and buy it, then come back here and post your results.

If true, you'll be a real hero.
20th May 2017, 06:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 721

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda6024

****: I'm sorry I was trying to say the canada mobiles doesn't have bootloader.

We don't need no stinkin bootloader, take that!
20th May 2017, 07:33 PM |#5  
Flag Djakarta
Thanks Meter: 732

More
Well, trust me, 90-99% of the call center staff (the rest of 10% wont stay long enough in that department, since their boss gonna move them up to better position) dont know what they are talking about,

They just read what inside the advisory, or the guidebook given by the product management team,
and most of the time has lack of willingness to actually learning in details about the product sold by their company

They cant even give a proper answer to most of advanced yet daily question from customers. For these kind of questions, they always forward the mail or the call to a device/service/product management team.
The Following User Says Thank You to otonieru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift otonieru Ad-Free
21st May 2017, 04:40 AM |#6  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 35

Donate to Me
More
Bootloader is locked a 100%
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)