FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Changing the CSC of your S8/S8+ (G950F/G955F) (No Root)

115 posts
Thanks Meter: 73
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody, here is a little comprehensive guide on how to change your CSC for the Galaxy S8 & S8+.

It all started when I noticed I could not use Samsung Pay (Spay). Bit by bit managed to work up some theories on how to do it on any device.
CSC(Consumer Software Customization) denotes a specific geographical region or carrier branding of your phone. Samsung verifies this in order to allow the use of Spay.

Some important notes:
1. Your phone will be wiped clean in the process, so backup important stuff.
2. Not sure if all countries support Samsung Pay.
3. Avoid partial firmware flashes, they can mess things up.
4. Be really careful picking up the right files for this process.
5. This will not trip Knox.
6. This method might work on other S8/S8+ variants, feel free to test it.
7. Most roms are Multi-CSC, so straight flashing it might not work and you can end up with another unwanted CSC.
8. You can use this guide to upgrade/downgrade from Nougat/Oreo.

Let’s begin: There are two scenarios we can start with…
1. Nougat/Oreo with Bootloader V1
2. Nougat/Oreo with Bootloader V2

About your Bootloader version:
Early 2018 Samsung launched a bootloader update (V2) mainly to fix Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, as according to this XDA post. For what I know, there is no way to downgrade your bootloader version so far, so be careful selecting the files when changing your CSC.
I noticed a quick tell sign to know if your bootloader is already in V2: If you see the legend “Volume Down Key + Power Key for more than 7 secs: Cancel (restart phone)” at the bottom of the screen when in Download Mode, you are already in V2 bootloader. Otherwise you may still be in V1 (Which is way easier to find files for).

Recommended sources for the required files:
1. Firmware: SamMobile S8-S8+, Updato
2. Combination File: Firmware Gem Flash S8-S8+, Easy Firmware (I found Bootloader V2 Combination file here)

Required files:
S8 with Nougat/Oreo and Bootloader V1
• A Nougat/Oreo Firmware containing the CSC that you want, and still containing V1 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file/firmware version, it should have G950FXXU1 on it (U1 is for Bootloader V1).
• Combination file specific for V1 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file, it should have G950FXXU1 on it (U1 is for Bootloader V1).

S8+ with Nougat/Oreo and Bootloader V1
• A Nougat/Oreo Firmware containing the CSC that you want, and still containing V1 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file/firmware version, it should have G955FXXU1 on it (U1 is for Bootloader V1).
• Combination file specific for V1 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file, it should have G955FXXU1 on it (U1 is for Bootloader V1).

S8 with Nougat/Oreo and Bootloader V2
• A Nougat/Oreo Firmware containing the CSC that you want, and still containing V2 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file/firmware version, it should have G950FXXU2 on it (U2 is for Bootloader V2).
• Combination file specific for V2 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file, it should have G950FXXU2 on it (U2 is for Bootloader V2).

S8+ with Nougat/Oreo and Bootloader V2
• A Nougat/Oreo Firmware containing the CSC that you want, and still containing V2 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file/firmware version, it should have G955FXXU2 on it (U2 is for Bootloader V2).
• Combination file specific for V2 Bootloader: This can be distinguished in the name of the file, it should have G955FXXU2 on it (U2 is for Bootloader V2).


Steps:
*I will assume you already have the abovementioned files.
1. Enter download mode by turning off the phone then pressing Vol Down + Bixby + Power, then press volume up.
2. Flash the downloaded firmware with the latest version of Odin (Available here):
Use the AP, BL, CP and CSC file (Not Home CSC, regular CSC).
Wait for it to boot.
3. Turn off the phone.
4. This is the tricky part:
a. Download 7zip for Windows.
b. Rename the Home_CSC that came with your firmware, removing the md5 extension and leaving it at .tar, thus making it a .tar file.
c. Expand the files in a new folder.
d. Delete a file named “Hidden”
e. Select remaining files and create a new Tar file with the name of the original .tar.md5 file with 7zip.
5. Odin Flash the downloaded combination file on AP, and the newly created Home CSC tar file on CSC.
6. Boot into factory mode.
7. Select IMEI option at the bottom of the screen to bring up the dial pad, then dial *#243203855#
8. Select your new CSC code, and wait for it to install and reboot.
9. Wait for phone to reboot and clean memory.
10. Re-enter download mode.
11. Odin flash the firmware again:
Use the AP, BL, CP and CSC file (Use the recently created file again, the one without the hidden file).
12. Reboot and setup your phone.
13. You should be in the desired CSC now.

Regarding S9/s9+ method compatibility:
Not sure at all if this can be similarly done with the S9/S9+, but I would be more than happy to check that for you if you send me a test phone, lol.

Thanks to arthurbxp for all the complimenting knowledge on the matter.

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because your phone failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this method and before flashing/using it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to yojosefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yojosefo Ad-Free
7th June 2018, 04:03 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
hey mate thanks for the guide. Both websites needs paid memberships for downloading though. Any free sources?
7th June 2018, 05:57 AM |#3  
yojosefo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chihuahua
Thanks Meter: 73
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capuagenclik

hey mate thanks for the guide. Both websites needs paid memberships for downloading though. Any free sources?

Hey there, no problem.
I would look for the name of the specific file you need and Google it. Share the name with me, I will kindly help you look for it. Plus, I might still have paid access to them, wouldn't mind sharing them with you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yojosefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yojosefo Ad-Free
8th June 2018, 03:20 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 302
 
More
Settings - About phone - Soiftware information - service provider software

Have you screenshots of that before and after?
Does the last CSC change?

And, afte I have done all that.
If I then flash a unmodified Firmware from Samsung AP,BL,CP and CSC
or HOME_CSC will that change the CSC back?
8th June 2018, 10:14 PM |#5  
yojosefo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chihuahua
Thanks Meter: 73
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maik005

Settings - About phone - Soiftware information - service provider software

Have you screenshots of that before and after?
Does the last CSC change?

And, afte I have done all that.
If I then flash a unmodified Firmware from Samsung AP,BL,CP and CSC
or HOME_CSC will that change the CSC back?

I don't have screenshots, but the process is very straight forward.

After all, if you flash everything and CSC you might end up with another csc(the firmware default's one). That's why at the end you should flash home CSC.
The Following User Says Thank You to yojosefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yojosefo Ad-Free
11th June 2018, 05:44 PM |#6  
vok01's Avatar
Senior Member
Death Island
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Question Hi / Hola
@yojosefo
Eng:
Hi!
I can see you're from Mexico, can you answer me just one doubt?
My phone is a S8 SM-G950FD with United Arab Emirates firmware, its dual SIM, with this procedure, could I lost this feature or is it compatible with muy phone, i want to change it to Mexico's firmware 'cause Spay and Members?

I was looking for V2 Combination file but I couldnt be able to find some page without "premium" downloads, can you upload it to GDrive if you have it?

Please?.
-------------------------------------------------
Spa:
Hola!
Veo que eres de Mexico, puedes responderme una duda que tengo?
Mi teléfono es un S8 SM-G950FD con firmware de los Emiratos Arabes Unidos, es dual SIM, con este procedimiento puedo perder esa función o este procedimiento es 100% compatible con mi telefono, quiero cambiarlo al firmware de mexico por el Spay y Members?
Estuve buscando el archivo de combinacion v2, pero no encuentro ninguna pagina que no tenga descargas premium, si lo tienes, lo podrias subir a Google Drive?
Por favor?
14th June 2018, 04:57 AM |#7  
yojosefo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chihuahua
Thanks Meter: 73
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vok01

@yojosefo
Eng:
Hi!
I can see you're from Mexico, can you answer me just one doubt?
My phone is a S8 SM-G950FD with United Arab Emirates firmware, its dual SIM, with this procedure, could I lost this feature or is it compatible with muy phone, i want to change it to Mexico's firmware 'cause Spay and Members?

I was looking for V2 Combination file but I couldnt be able to find some page without "premium" downloads, can you upload it to GDrive if you have it?

Please?.
-------------------------------------------------
Spa:
Hola!
Veo que eres de Mexico, puedes responderme una duda que tengo?
Mi teléfono es un S8 SM-G950FD con firmware de los Emiratos Arabes Unidos, es dual SIM, con este procedimiento puedo perder esa función o este procedimiento es 100% compatible con mi telefono, quiero cambiarlo al firmware de mexico por el Spay y Members?
Estuve buscando el archivo de combinacion v2, pero no encuentro ninguna pagina que no tenga descargas premium, si lo tienes, lo podrias subir a Google Drive?
Por favor?

Hi there, hope u are doing fine.
To my understanding, if possible, you will lose that functionality... You may try to find all the files required to do the change, and then keep the dual sim capability.
Can you post the required combination file to see if I still have access to the download?
Regards....
14th June 2018, 06:46 AM |#8  
vok01's Avatar
Senior Member
Death Island
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojosefo

Hi there, hope u are doing fine.
To my understanding, if possible, you will lose that functionality... You may try to find all the files required to do the change, and then keep the dual sim capability.
Can you post the required combination file to see if I still have access to the download?
Regards....

According with my bootloader, I need B:2 (Binnary 2... I guess, Im in May patch) combination file, I was looking for it before and I get 2 files (One with 2Gb of size and other with 760Mb) but Im not sure which is the correct file.

I'll attach an image with the full information about the phone and the firmware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180613-233346_Settings.jpg
Views:	2454
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	4526211

And these are the combination file that I found in easy-firmware, but... I need to use FD or F? (My model is FD)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.PNG
Views:	2386
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	4526213
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura2.PNG
Views:	2354
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	4526214

Easy-Firmware
Gem-Flash

Sorry, maybe are dumb questions but its my first time with samsung phones

Edit:

I tried to do this:
Quote:

e. Select remaining files and create a new Tar file with the name of the original .tar.md5 file with 7zip.

And the new md5 file shows launch an error: "Md5 Error. Binary is invalid", how can I create that md5 file
21st June 2018, 06:04 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 302
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vok01

According with my bootloader, I need B:2 (Binnary 2... I guess, Im in May patch) combination file, I was looking for it before and I get 2 files (One with 2Gb of size and other with 760Mb) but Im not sure which is the correct file.

I'll attach an image with the full information about the phone and the firmware.

Attachment 4526211

And these are the combination file that I found in easy-firmware, but... I need to use FD or F? (My model is FD)
Attachment 4526213
Attachment 4526214

Easy-Firmware
Gem-Flash

Sorry, maybe are dumb questions but its my first time with samsung phones

Edit:

I tried to do this:
And the new md5 file shows launch an error: "Md5 Error. Binary is invalid", how can I create that md5 file

remove the .md5 at the End.
There is no valid md5 signature in that nee created file and that is ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to maik005 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maik005 Ad-Free
25th June 2018, 12:46 PM |#10  
Lao Mayer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Craiova
Thanks Meter: 63
 
More
I don't have the hidden file inside my original firmware's HOME_CSC tar file.
17th July 2018, 01:08 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
hey is it possible you can help me? I need the combination file for s8 g950f with v2 bootloader, uk version if that makes any difference.. the site he gave only allows me to download it with a subscription
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
csc code

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes