FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] Carrier Switch Galaxy S8/S8+ **SNAPDRAGON**

269 posts
Thanks Meter: 308

Post Reply Email Thread
*READ FIRST*
This thread is now completely dedicated to the aspect of Carrier Switching on the Snapdragon model of the Galaxy S8/S8+, the current root progress can be seen here:
Current ROOT Progress for G950U/G955U Snapdragon

Please Note that if your device is network locked this WILL NOT unlock it for use on other carriers, however it will allow the switching of carriers and carrier specific features on network unlocked devices just by changing sim cards, the device will reboot and your done. As for those with a network locked device this thread still applies to you, if you are interested in a bloat free experience(that is faster and smoother than stock touchwiz), on your Galaxy S8/S8+

Let's Begin!
  1. Download the firmware for the unlocked S8/S8+ here:
    G950U1UE1AQDC_XAA
  2. Download the Prince Cosmy version of Odin here:
    Odin_3.12.3_Modified
  3. Enable developer options on your device:
    Settings----->About Phone----->Click Build Number 7 times
  4. Enable USB Debugging:
    Settings----->Developer Options-----USB Debugging
  5. Put your device into download mode: Volume Down + Bixby + Power
    (accept the warning and connect your device to your computer)
  6. Take the G950U1.zip you downloaded in step 1 and extract it, then place the BL,AP,CP,and CSC files into their corresponding places within Odin and press start
  7. Once finished the device will boot back up and you will be free to disconnect it from your computer
  8. You now have the unlocked, bloat free, firmware on your S8/S8+

CONTRIBUTORS
@Maltego for hosting files
@mweinbach for originally getting the unlocked firmware and for posting a tutorial on flashing it
@Acoustichayes for creating a dedicated root thread
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to TimelessPWN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimelessPWN Ad-Free

28th April 2017, 02:07 AM |#3  
Flag Virginia Beach
Thanks Meter: 175

More
I have the s8+ version installing now. Will report back. Op make sure they uncheck Auto reboot and f. Reset time in odin first.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Persianhawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Persianhawkes Ad-Free
28th April 2017, 02:15 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I've been getting protocol version errors trying to flash via odin 3.10 (the only one that I can download)

EDIT: installing now, needed the latest odin
28th April 2017, 02:20 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumai

I've been getting protocol version errors trying to flash via odin 3.10 (the only one that I can download)

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862722617

Here is Odin 3.12.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimelessPWN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimelessPWN Ad-Free
28th April 2017, 02:21 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 761

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persianhawkes

I have the s8+ version installing now. Will report back. Op make sure they uncheck Auto reboot and f. Reset time in odin first.

This is for an s8....Not plus. Be careful.
28th April 2017, 02:24 AM |#7  
Flag Virginia Beach
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook

This is for an s8....Not plus. Be careful.

I know. I have the s8+ file. Flashed and booted up now I have to do some tinkering.

28th April 2017, 02:28 AM |#8  
Boston
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I can't wait to give this a run this weekend
28th April 2017, 02:42 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 761

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persianhawkes

I know. I have the s8+ file. Flashed and booted up now I have to do some tinkering.

Oh, ok. Didn't realize that. So does this overwrite the carrier info? Or is that untouched?
28th April 2017, 02:46 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook

Oh, ok. Didn't realize that. So does this overwrite the carrier info? Or is that untouched?

As of right now there is no way to overwrite carrier info, we are working on it though. That reserved comment is going to be where i put all that is known, been tried, etc with carrier switching just a little busy right now
28th April 2017, 03:02 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My build number is SM-G950A and my firmware is G950USQU1AQD9. I am quite familiar with the concept and process of rooting but I have never had an opportunity to actually get into it. I was wondering if my device is compatible with this firmware. If so I am fine with testing so long as there is a reliable way to restore my phone if something were to happen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)