Remove All Ads from XDA

80% charge threshold broke Rooted US s8 SnapDragon

6,911 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,872

By TheMadScientist, Senior Member on 5th April 2019, 07:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So without further ado, I bring you a manual way to charge past 80%

First off, The good stuff.
I Nor anyone else is responsible for what you do to your devices.This is all done at your own risk.This "manual" charge is basically one small hack allowing us to charge so far up to 98% I have yet to be able to charge fully to 100%

So for starters,Obviously We need a U.S. Snapdragon rooted S8 There are several guides in either the General sections and or the Development sections, Quite easy to find with Xda's wonderful search bar at the top of each page.

Now that where all on the same page first of let me explain what is going on and what we are going to be doing about this.
We all rooted users know that Samsung implemented a safety feature starting back with the note 7. They limited charging to 80% While using any Boot-loader other than pure stock User Release.
What we are going to be doing is basically once we charge our devices to 80% We are then going to fake the battery gauge out into thinking the device is dead.
The file we have to modify is,First off undone by every Reboot as it lies in /SYS/Class/Power_Supply_Battery Which is a non persistent partition...So any modifications will be undone with this file on Reboot.

More Disclaimers

Will be installing a Xposed module called Critical battery shutdown disabler. You need the version I will list Further down below, and this one exactly!!!!The one in Xposed and other sources are of a different make and are not what is needed...
So with this modded Module,If your battery does ever reach 0% it will not shutdown it will not reboot...So you can truly flat-line your battery if you do not pay attn...... Which is double bad for us Samsung users, As we also face a known bug called Deep discharge. Which in means if your battery flat-lines. There is a chance which it will not power on and will not charge... This sometimes can be remedied by placing device on wireless charger and USB at the same time.

I will post ScreenShots down below, Hopefully in order as well So you can follow a bit better.

So first off Download this version of Critical Battery Shutdown Disabler here... CriticalBatteryShutdownDisable

Now that that's installed Activate and reboot. Charge your device as normal to 80%. As shown below in the First SS
So once we hit 80% We need to navigate in a Root file explorer to this directory /SYS/CLASS/POWER_SUPPLY_BATTERY_battery_capacity_max. Open as a text file and is will show some value 1000 being the highest. Well with this module installed and This file open You can now change this value which mine is 1000 To 0 And save.... As in second third and fourth screen shots

I have had to click save several times on occasion. This should take up to 10 to 15 seconds and you battery gauge will drop to 0 and low power mode may come on... But if you now notice, Since we are charged to 80% and now it claims 0 The device now begins to charge... As you can see in the 5th screenshot below

So now your device is charging At first impressions it just sits at 0% while charging But I have learned even though this is true Several tests revealed once I get to a actual 94 to 95 % the gauge begins to climb rapidly back up...
So I am assuming there is another safety net in place, As I figured this would possibly lead to over charges if left unattended for long periods......But no matter how many times i try about 95% it always reverts the file and Max capacity back to 1000 Almost making this a Foolproof design.... So far....

You can see in other screen shots i reverted the file back and forth to show it charging and such
I just know Those of us that say are on @partcyborgs Rom We get awesome battery life with several of us hitting well over 8 or 9 hours of SOT....
Now just imagine what we can achieve with a extra 15% plus more since in the end the device will not reboot at low battery.....
I want to see 11 hours of SOT And I think I can hit it.

Hey remember the Thanks button goes a long way And Make sure to go out and thank all of our local heros That keep our S8s alive.

Credits
@firefds For modifying CbSd for our device to make this all possible.
@partcyborg For finding a root method and for a wonderful Rom
@jrkruse For getting us a root method on Bit 5 bootloaders and several nice roms
@elliwigyFor the countless hours he has put in, and suffering of dealing with me

On a side note this should work for any samsung note 7 or higher on a US eng or combo bootloader.
I hit 97% this morning and felt confident enough i fell asleep not watching it. And just as several times before. It trickled of to the point of not charging any more. A t 97%.
Today has been the best day ever for battery. Om at 59% since about 530 am. Youtube most of the day for music while doing yard work. Screen on since 8 am its a little after 2 now. Im aiming for 11 hours SOT😂😂😂😂😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChargeTo80%.png
Views:	880
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	4738186   Click image for larger version

Name:	File location.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	4738189   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap max.png
Views:	852
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	4738190   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap minimum.png
Views:	760
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	4738191   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 and charging.png
Views:	748
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	4738196   Click image for larger version

Name:	follow the graph.png
Views:	734
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	4738198   Click image for larger version

Name:	graph 2.png
Views:	724
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	4738199   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp-voltage-percentage.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	4738200   Click image for larger version

Name:	95%.png
Views:	774
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	4738201  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Xposed-DisableCriticalBatteryShutdown-release.apk - [Click for QR Code] (35.7 KB, 68 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheMadScientist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMadScientist Ad-Free

5th April 2019, 08:34 PM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,621

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadScientist

So this is a wip right now. I have been testing last few nights guys for root on s8. But this would work on s8 and up rooted.

I will tonight or tomorrow start posting screen shots and method once i work out one last major hitch in my hack.

But long story short. I have managed to once charged to 80% to charge now to 92 94 and 97% manually. Which i will disclose shortly.
This method will not be for the faint off heart. Can be dangerous. And probably is. But again once i limmit down one last issue. I think we will be able to hit a full 100% charge.

I need help from the community. And its weird i know. Bit to hit a 100% charge i need to find a app or xposed model. Like critical battery shutdown disabler. As it seems to only work to 4.3 or so.
So if any one has any suggestions on this please let me know.

I forked the original xposed model on Github and I'll try to enable it for Android 9
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firefds For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift firefds Ad-Free
5th April 2019, 08:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefds

I forked the original xposed model on Github and I'll try to enable it for Android 9

Im still on nougat. All us snap users rooted are nougat. Thank you for the response good sir love your app👍👍👍
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadScientist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMadScientist Ad-Free
5th April 2019, 08:59 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
Quote:

So what i got going on is we cant charge above 80%. But i can pretty much fake the battery gauge but only to 0% but once i do fake it it starts charging again. But randomly shuts down due to "low power". So if i can get it to not randomly reboot due to low power i can get 100%
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190405-134351.png
Views:	370
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	4737426  
5th April 2019, 09:02 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
I showed a few fellars. This morning. I hit 96 and 94 % last night. And i can do it any time i want. Again this is dangerous as the device sees 0%. Even though its really at 80% +. So you have to kinda keep an eye on the graph like i did i followed the curve + time and estimated. But i cant pass 94 to 96 % without a low power shutdown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadScientist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMadScientist Ad-Free
5th April 2019, 11:39 PM |#6  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
@TheMadScientist please try the attached APK
The Following User Says Thank You to firefds For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift firefds Ad-Free
5th April 2019, 11:47 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
Quote:

@TheMadScientist please try the attached APK

Tells me i need a newer framework. 90+ thus can't be activated
5th April 2019, 11:49 PM |#8  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Tells me i need a newer framework. 90+ thus can't be activated

What's your xposed version?
5th April 2019, 11:51 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
Quote:

What's your xposed version?

89 framework
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190405-185039.png
Views:	250
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4737494  
5th April 2019, 11:52 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag VT

More
I see something now about a90 betta
5th April 2019, 11:53 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

89 framework

This should work
The Following User Says Thank You to firefds For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift firefds Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)