FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Solved] Samsung S8 Dex without Dex Station

40 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By Meleor, Member on 13th May 2017, 04:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread has one simple objective: unlock the Samsung S8 Dex UI without the Dex station

To better understand this new feature, let's say there is a software interface which is the DEX UI. It provides a true desktop interface from a mobile device and make your smartphone useful and practical when you need to work or entertain on a big screen. But Dex requires the DEX station, which can be compared to a hardware interface. It's a simple dock on which you can connect a TV, a keyboard, a mouse in order to use your smartphone as PC properly.
The problem is that the Dex station is very expansive for what it is ( a simple hub), and many of us just want to use the Dex UI on something else.

Here are some alternative solutions that could turn your Samsung S8 into a real computer:

The Mirabook
The Mirabook
Your Smartphone is the ultimate pocket computer: Powerful, Connected and Practical. You could fully exploit its potential if it was not limited by its size and its interface.
The Mirabook unleashes the power of your Smartphone by turning it into a full-fledged Laptop with a large screen, a keyboard and a track pad.
Your Smartphone is now the only computer
As I'm contributor for their campaign, I had access to 3 secret links to pre-order at $180 and not $299, that I gladly share with you Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

The Superbook

At its core, the Superbook is a smart laptop shell that provides a large screen, keyboard and multi-touch trackpad, 8+ hours of battery, and phone charging capabilities.
When plugged into your Android smartphone, it launches our app to deliver the full laptop experience.
https://www.sentio.com/

Microsoft Dock/ HP Dock

Connect your Lumia 950 or 950 XL to a Display Dock and do more with an external monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. Office apps and Outlook scale up to create a big screen-optimized work environment that makes you more productive. It’s a PC-like experience that’s powered by your phone.
https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

Slimport adaptor

The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter connects your SlimPort-enabled smartphone or tablet with a USB Type-C (USB-C) port to any HDMI-enabled TV, projector, or monitor at up to 4K Ultra HD (2160p), so your smartphone or tablet’s screen can be displayed on the big screen. The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter is plug-and-play easy to use, delivers the highest quality video-out from your phone/tablet, and there’s virtually no lag when video simultaneously appears on your phone’s screen and your TV screen.
Amazon Link

How to enable the Dex UI of the Samsung S8 on these alternative products?

What I did:

-I try to run the app with a 3rd party launcher with root activated
-I tried to convert the system app to a user app

-I tried run the app through the android terminal. I may have done wrong but here is the result
code

This thread will be updated. Thank you for your contributions

At the moment we don't know if Samsung has a hardware DRM or if it's a software one.

UPDATE: Good News ! Thanks to KarateKid430 and Kbarni there's a complete solution to unlock the DEX feature.

https://youtu.be/s50GWuKphTI
Thank you very much to all contributors of this thread.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Meleor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Meleor Ad-Free

13th May 2017, 04:32 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
This is intresting!
13th May 2017, 05:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Good luck with your efforts. If successful, I can see a lot of possibilities.

Do you think s8/s8+ will work with HP lap dock? I'm not talking about the dex desktop software, but will it work so that we can use the screen and keyboard on the lap dock when connected via USB=C?

Did you by any chance get it working with the Microsoft dock?
14th May 2017, 03:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipuna

Do you think s8/s8+ will work with HP lap dock? I'm not talking about the dex desktop software...?

No, but it will absolutely work directly when connected to your HP laptop. Just use the Samsung SideSync software: http://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabilancia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rabilancia Ad-Free
19th May 2017, 07:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
anything we (tech-savvy users who aren't gifted android developers) can do to help you?
28th May 2017, 10:08 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleor

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"]

How to enable the Dex UI of the Samsung S8 on these alternative products?

What I did:

-I try to run the app with a 3rd party launcher with root activated
-I tried to convert the system app to a user app

-I tried run the app through the android terminal. I may have done wrong but here is the result

This thread will be updated. Thank you for your contributions

At the moment we don't know if Samsung has a hardware DRM or if it's a software one.

At the end of the am start command, you need to append
--user '0'

Give that a try and post your findings. Great work so far!
The Following User Says Thank You to karatekid430 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karatekid430 Ad-Free
6th June 2017, 10:16 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid430

At the end of the am start command, you need to append
--user '0'

Give that a try and post your findings. Great work so far!

I tried and even and Sudo it doesn't work. Guys it's so frustrating !
6th June 2017, 10:37 AM |#8  

More
Okay as I posted in the other thread, we need to look at files
/sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state which is 109 for a Samsung TabPro S Multiport adapter, and 110 for the DeX.
/sys/class/dp_sec/dex which is 0 when not connected to DeX and 1 when it is.

If you have su, then please try echoing values into those and try again. I would but I am not rooted.

Thanks and best of luck!
6th June 2017, 11:00 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Okay as I posted in the other thread, we need to look at files
/sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state which is 109 for a Samsung TabPro S Multiport adapter, and 110 for the DeX.
/sys/class/dp_sec/dex which is 0 when not connected to DeX and 1 when it is.

If you have su, then please try echoing values into those and try again. I would but I am not rooted.

Thanks and best of luck!

I was just reading and trying just now haha.
Here is what I got:

Am I doing this right or not ?
6th June 2017, 03:22 PM |#10  

More
No. Just do the su command on its own first (literally two letters 'su' and hit enter) and grant root when it asks.

Then type the whoami command, hopefully you will be root or 0 or something.

Then do echo 1 > /sys/class/dp_sec/dex

And so on.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Wait, you did do it once correctly.

When it is successful it will not say anything.

You can check by going 'cat /sys/class/dp_sec/dex' and hopefully it will be 1 without being connected to DeX. Now try to launch the DeX activity, try using the quick shortcut maker app.
6th June 2017, 04:16 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:

No. Just do the su command on its own first (literally two letters 'su' and hit enter) and grant root when it asks.

Then type the whoami command, hopefully you will be root or 0 or something.

Then do echo 1 > /sys/class/dp_sec/dex

And so on.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Wait, you did do it once correctly.

When it is successful it will not say anything.

You can check by going 'cat /sys/class/dp_sec/dex' and hopefully it will be 1 without being connected to DeX. Now try to launch the DeX activity, try using the quick shortcut maker app.

Then I get this

It seems like the phone does not have the right settings to fit the screen or something. when I spam the Dex application button, sometimes I see a black screen like if it's trying to launch the app, and one time I had a
landscape orientation black screen, so we're almost done I guess.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)