By Meleor, Member on 13th May 2017, 04:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2017, 04:16 PM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid430

No. Just do the su command on its own first (literally two letters 'su' and hit enter) and grant root when it asks.

Then type the whoami command, hopefully you will be root or 0 or something.

Then do echo 1 > /sys/class/dp_sec/dex

And so on.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Wait, you did do it once correctly.

When it is successful it will not say anything.

You can check by going 'cat /sys/class/dp_sec/dex' and hopefully it will be 1 without being connected to DeX. Now try to launch the DeX activity, try using the quick shortcut maker app.

Then I get this

It seems like the phone does not have the right settings to fit the screen or something. when I spam the Dex application button, sometimes I see a black screen like if it's trying to launch the app, and one time I had a
landscape orientation black screen, so we're almost done I guess.

6th June 2017, 04:30 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
What did you have connected at the time? Was it an adapter with a display connection connected to a screen at the time?

If you do not have one, they are known as Multiport adapters, most commonly with a USB, HDMI and charging plug. There are so many brands of them it isn't funny. Ebay or Amazon.
6th June 2017, 04:45 PM |#13  
OP Member

More
Quote:

What did you have connected at the time? Was it an adapter with a display connection connected to a screen at the time?

If you do not have one, they are known as Multiport adapters, most commonly with a USB, HDMI and charging plug. There are so many brands of them it isn't funny. Ebay or Amazon.

the Microsoft HD-500 dock which is Slimport like the S8 and a monitor.
6th June 2017, 04:56 PM |#14  

More
When it is connected, what is the value of /sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state ? When the dock is connected?

If it is zero then the dock mightn't be suitable.
6th June 2017, 05:18 PM |#15  
OP Member

More
Quote:

When it is connected, what is the value of /sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state ? When the dock is connected?

If it is zero then the dock mightn't be suitable.

Yes it's 0.
Is this the DRM of Samsung acting ? Is is possible to bypass this ?
Do we have to test all the different docks to find which one is working except the dock station?
6th June 2017, 05:23 PM |#16  

More
I don't know. But that value goes to 109 when I connect the Samsung TabPro S Multiport Adapter to it, and 110 for DeX. I don't know about non-Samsung accessories, but you perhaps need to find something that changes the value. WAIT OH. What's the chance that CCIC refers to the charge controller IC in the USB? As in PD mode? Only a guess, but it might indicate whether the device can charge. Then again, my DisplayPort adapters with PD support say zero. Anyway GMT +0800 so it's my bed time, I don't know about other people's timezones. Please keep me posted, and if anybody can offer any information or comments on this then it would be appreciated. Thanks for trying so far, I wish I had the balls to root the phone. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to karatekid430 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karatekid430 Ad-Free
9th June 2017, 02:33 PM |#17  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 644

Donate to Me
More
Just a quick note to help you guys.

DeX only launches when I have the official GS8 charger connected to the dock, no other charger will launch DeX mode. I wonder if this has a big part to play in why you cant get DeX to work through other techniques.

If you can identify why only the official S8 charger triggers DeX mode, that could enable you to workaround this problem.
So maybe you should try checking what system values change when you're connected to the charger and the dock separately?
9th June 2017, 02:56 PM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilerOnline

Just a quick note to help you guys.

DeX only launches when I have the official GS8 charger connected to the dock, no other charger will launch DeX mode. I wonder if this has a big part to play in why you cant get DeX to work through other techniques.

If you can identify why only the official S8 charger triggers DeX mode, that could enable you to workaround this problem.
So maybe you should try checking what system values change when you're connected to the charger and the dock separately?

As I have said, the DeX works with a standard USB-C PD charger, and actually fast charges the phone. The EP-TA20 only cable charges it through the DeX. The DeX presumably demands too much power for normal USB chargers, so Samsung probably just made it refuse to start unless some kind of high power charger is attached.

I use the Asus UPD 3.1 Panel (100W Type-C) and an 8ware 1M 100W USB-C to USB-C cable (USB-IF certified).
12th June 2017, 11:35 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Following this thread. Would love to see this come to fruition.
12th June 2017, 11:41 PM |#20  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaresTaylan

Following this thread. Would love to see this come to fruition.

Please gather anybody who might have an interest and get them to make accounts here. Later on I will be starting a petition. It will take a few days as I am going to make it elaborate with images and diagrams. Let's kick Samsung's A and get the right to choose third party hardware, which is what USB-C is all about.

Thanks for following.
The Following User Says Thank You to karatekid430 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karatekid430 Ad-Free
14th June 2017, 03:49 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I posted the below in the other Dex related thread and I thought it might be a good idea to post it here for those that hadn't seen it:

Hi All, I just had a look through the S8 kernel source as I figured that anything in /sys/class would most likely have kernel code to support it, looks like the "Dex check" is as follows:

Code:
bool check_dex_support(struct displayport_device *displayport)
{
	if (displayport->ven_id == SAMSUNG_VENDOR_ID
			&& displayport->prod_id == DEXDOCK_PRODUCT_ID)
		return true;

#ifdef CONFIG_DISPLAYPORT_ENG 
	return true;
#else
	return false;
#endif
}
Which is pretty ****ty IMHO. CONFIG_DISPLAYPORT_ENG is a define that isn't set in the release kernel so, it looks like the only way to do this would be to spoof the vend/prod id's on the displayport adapter. I'm not sure id these ID's are displayport native data or USB ID's that then signal the electrical change of using the alt-mode pairs, though it's stored in the "dispayport" struct.

That is assuming that this check echo's out to /sys/class/dp_sec/dex and the dex_home checks it.

That said, for unlocked/rooted users if the samsung source compiles it should be a simple job to compile with CONFIG_DISPLAYPORT_ENG set

EDIT:
the prod/Ven ID's do come from the USB subsystem when a CCIC_NOTIFY_ATTACH is sent:

Code:
displayport->ven_id = usb_typec_info.sub2;
displayport->prod_id = usb_typec_info.sub3;

if(check_dex_support(displayport))
    displayport_info("Dex mode supported product connected\n");
Also, here are the numbers it's expecting:
Code:
/* Samsung Acc VID */
#define SAMSUNG_VENDOR_ID 0x04E8
#define SAMSUNG_MPA_VENDOR_ID 0x04B4
/* Samsung Acc PID */
#define DEXDOCK_PRODUCT_ID 0xA020