Video
Hay i did a video teardown if you want to check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcqit8YzGlQ
25th August 2017, 04:29 AM |#82  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erclalle

Many people on the GS8+ forum have tried, tested and approved them. If I'm correct these actually use the same chipset as does the actual DeX, and they spoof the verification signals of the original DeX. This is actually huge, since I'm sure many of us already have a USB-C hub!
Great Work @karatekid430 !

Thanks!

But when modifying the kernel, I have not encountered any "verification signals". As far as I know, it is just by hardware vendor and product ID. If there is further verification, then I inadvertently bypassed them.

It worked with RTL8153 (USB Gigabit Ethernet) in DeX, so it cannot be verifying all of the exact components of the DeX, either.

The Microsoft Windows phone works with the DeX station, but the Galaxy S8 refuses to work with the Microsoft dock without kernel modification. There is nothing proprietary or unusual about the DeX, except that Samsung programmed their phones to only activate with the official DeX station.
25th August 2017, 06:26 AM |#83  

More
Proof that I got DeX working with other adapters - https://youtu.be/s50GWuKphTI

You can try the boot.img at your own risk. It worked with my device, AP: G950FXXU1AQG7 CP: G950FXXU1AQG5 CSC: G950FXSA1AQFE Model: SM-G950F.
Make sure you backup all data on the device and know how to recover in the event of a failure.
This is using the boot.img-dtb that I compiled - if it would help you to have it, you can extract it from the boot.img with the "Android.Image.Kitchen.v2.8-Win32" toolbox.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuN0OlwU3-gMgtcTnrNYvm0YFhWBvQ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karatekid430 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karatekid430 Ad-Free
25th August 2017, 11:30 AM |#84  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 534

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ18uk

Unless you can make your own PCB with HDMI to LVDS converter chip small enough to fit with the phone inside the case then you may struggle with older LCDs. May be a bit easier with eDP displays.

It would be easier with that custom kernel as you wouldn't need to go Type C > DP > HDMI > eDP. You could build in the keyboard and TP to USB controller.

Adafruit has the Qualia HDMI to eDP driver board for modern screens but it's built specifically for iPad LCDs.

Or, one could convince the manufacturer to make a version of this adapter that has a DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort connector, to what one could connect an eDP compliant display. It would be cheaper to manufacture (no need to do the DP-HDMI conversion), and easier to work with if we want something built-in.

But it could be made in a way so that the S8/+ connects via a Type C port (so no dock, etc.), and all the internals have are this adapter, the HDMI-LVDS interface, an M.2 SSD with USB interface, and a big battery pack.
25th August 2017, 12:15 PM |#85  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid430

You can try the boot.img at your own risk.

I confirm it's working. I flashed the boot.img on Renovate Ice 5 rom with AQH3 firmware, it booted without problems. As I connected the external screen, it displayed the Dex desktop. Leet!
25th August 2017, 12:43 PM |#86  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232

Or, one could convince the manufacturer to make a version of this adapter that has a DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort connector, to what one could connect an eDP compliant display. It would be cheaper to manufacture (no need to do the DP-HDMI conversion), and easier to work with if we want something built-in.

But it could be made in a way so that the S8/+ connects via a Type C port (so no dock, etc.), and all the internals have are this adapter, the HDMI-LVDS interface, an M.2 SSD with USB interface, and a big battery pack.

Unless you trip KNOX and flash the custom kernel you need the PS176HDM chip though. I have yet to find the proper datasheet so do not know if it does pass-thru of the DP signals.
25th August 2017, 01:01 PM |#87  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 534

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ18uk

Unless you trip KNOX and flash the custom kernel you need the PS176HDM chip though. I have yet to find the proper datasheet so do not know if it does pass-thru of the DP signals.

You could always have the chip in place, and just duplicate the DP lines into a usable port.
25th August 2017, 01:35 PM |#88  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
@kbarni What model do you have?
@karatekid430 can the boot.img be flashed on any rooted s8, or do I need to edit it to match model/csc?
The Following User Says Thank You to erclalle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift erclalle Ad-Free
25th August 2017, 02:04 PM |#89  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erclalle

@kbarni What model do you have?
@karatekid430 can the boot.img be flashed on any rooted s8, or do I need to edit it to match model/csc?

I have the Galaxy S8, Exinos variant (SM-G950F). The same code can be built for the S8+, but this image won't work directly on the larger model.
Normally this kernel should work on any (updated) S8, so I think it's safe to try it.

But, as always, be sure to have a backup of your system, in case that anything goes wrong!!!
Create a backup in TWRP, clear Cache/Dalvik, flash the new kernel image (Select image button),
and reboot.
If anything goes wrong, go back to TWRP and restore the system.
25th August 2017, 02:25 PM |#90  

More
Any SM-G950F. Assuming the bootloader meets the standard for the Jesse kernel. It says "
NOTE: As of VERSION 0.3 and SEMI-STOCK RELEASE 6, AQG5 or newer bootloader is required."

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I can compile for the Samsung S8+ SM-G955F, but I won't be able to be 100% sure it will boot, as my Samsung S8+ is my main driver and is not rooted.
26th August 2017, 04:23 PM |#91  

More
Guys, I just read about the eDP idea. But is there a point when there exist USB-C monitors like Asus MB16AC? Or do you want a completely embedded solution?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)