FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Overall love

815 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,571

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 25th July 2017, 07:19 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the Samsung Galaxy S8, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the Samsung Galaxy S8 is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
The Following User Says Thank You to XDA_RealLifeReview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XDA_RealLifeReview Ad-Free

29th October 2017, 11:27 AM |#2  
Orgrimmar
Thanks Meter: 35

More
I can't believe I'm saying this but I love it! Other than that dumb fingerprint scanner :| Ughhh I just use pattern! feels really strange to use pattern thesedays
It also has that good old samsung lag and stutter but it's much more acceptable now. It stutters and it's nowhere near smooth 60fps but not torture either!
IT'S ALSO SOOOO goood in your hands! my s7 edge wasn't very nice to hold without a case
10th December 2017, 03:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I love love love regular S8 but battery life is a real bummer

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
11th December 2017, 07:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Love it too, wish the snapdragon ver had root with magish
5th January 2018, 09:46 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
London
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Lots of love on this thread!!
6th January 2018, 09:36 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
I know Im a bit late to the party, (I always wait about 3 - 6 months before buying a flagship, so the bugs get sorted) but I Just got my regular S8 (Ive used an S8+, but in UK... the + is STILL an extra £10p/month on contract).. and yep... I love it too.. its awesome and Bixby is actually useful and interesting now... Unlike HTC who have done Nothing with Sense Companion at all..

My only gripe with the S8 over the S8+ is the tinney speaker on the S8... the S8+ sounds far better and a bit louder as well... but on the whole... awesome phone.
9th January 2018, 11:13 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I did the pre-order via BestBuy and luckily qualified for and recieved the 256gb sd card, AKG headphones along with the VR headset. So in that respect, extremely happy.

The phone itself is very good. The camera & video can be excellent especially in sunlight, night shots are good too.
With 64GB space I can take over 2000 pics and videos before I have to download and erase.
Speaking of space, one thing I have been waiting for, for years is the ability to hold all my mp3s on one device. The 256gb card does it for me. I think there's 40k odd songs on it right now. Of course during all this time of waiting, it's not really that important anymore with all the streaming services available. I have amazon prime/unlimited music so...

Speedwise I can't complain, I just pulled 50Mbps this afternoon on my local tower. The camera is mostly quick to respond though I miss the shake to wake camera app my last Moto had.

Biggest non-love is the screen. Not a fan of the long and skinny aspect ratio. I think the S7 Edge with 5.5" is the better form factor, but I had an S6 and didn't want an immediate upgrade, I usually skip a year. But really other than that I like everything about the S8. Does everything I want it to without complaining. Can't get much better than that!

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

..oh yeah Bixby. WTF is that stupid thing anyway? What a dumb name. Useless button. I wish they'd just kill it off, give it a graceful death and let the button be assigned in settings. sorry for the neg in the love thread but somebody had to say it
17th January 2018, 06:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
battery life? turn off sync
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketgirl90

I love love love regular S8 but battery life is a real bummer
(Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app)

Really? How about turning off Sync and manually syncing only when you need to. I get the word "smart" is placed in front of the word "phone" but the real use of the device is as a PHONE. For any other use, even Samsung sells that "dock" thing where you *can* use the phone as an android desktop-like replacement, but even there, its plugged in while in that use!

Because I'm not constantly checking emails and not using those communications apps that many of your type of person seems to use, I don't need Sync turned on, and would rather have the option to do manual sync on EVERY app, where some fail this (or have in the past) requiring lots of extra steps too get them to sync when you want to ...

Its that constant SYNC of data that you aren't using *right now* that is always draining your battery. Otherwise I'm sure you're not complaining that you use all these apps all the time, and by nature of the fact that using memory and processing capabilities actually USE power from the only source it has (the battery) .. right?

Its not the same argument as the recent Iphone garbage where Apple was caught deliberately slowing down the processing to conserve battery draws to maximize the length of time the "smart" in the smartphone could actually run.. nor is the battery life an issue with regards to the explosive fire causing nature of the previous note gen phone right?

Or do you actually think you should be able to play racing games on your phone for hours at a time, without consequence? or have constant wireless or cellular data in use downloading or just even CHECKING for updates regardless if there are any ..

I don't begrudge your type of user from wanting more battery life, but you have to accept the responsibility for your actions too .. if you wanted longer battery life, you'd need to chose options more accordingly. This phone has no "user replaceable" battery, and in days of old, companies would make extra capacity batteries and would include a new back cover for your phone to allow for the bigger battery bulge..

I don't like the saying .. but its true in this case .. It is what it is. The battery will only last as long as the power draining apps you run can be sustained.

PS/Edit: by the way on my S8 I'm getting nearly 2 days of use, I play 4 games regularly, but none of them that require constant processing power, so the largest use of that power is the screen being on. And with that, I manually lower the brightness so that it is less than what the "auto" setting would use.

and an FYI ... anything that does "location" work ... thats a big energy hog too .. geo location with satellites is yet another battery drain. Social heart-beat apps too how do you think they know where you are or you know where they are? ... close proximity broadcasting and data transmissions .. you either find out through Bluetooth or a combination of that plus Geo-Location sent back to their servers .. data data data and MORE data.. ... read that as battery zapping bits moving about when you don't need them ... wanna know if your friend is close by? how about looking up and away from your phone for a minute?
The Following User Says Thank You to TreborG2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TreborG2 Ad-Free
28th January 2018, 01:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I did like my s8 UNTILL all the adds started, now its none stop with adds, so as a life timer haven a samsung phone, i now have decided to switch over to a iphone, simply due to iphones are not having the intrusive add issues samsung has going on, so to sum this up you at samsung are going to loose alot of customers because of the adds you think u must put out, so ill say good bye to samsung shortly and start a new chapter with my new iphone, you guys must realize u made the phone we buy the phone it now becomes our phones and if we wanted all the adds we would go online and get them, we dont want all the adds like you have now, get rid of these adds and you will gain back lost customers
28th January 2018, 04:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImdaGOonch

I did like my s8 UNTILL all the adds started, now its none stop with adds, so as a life timer haven a samsung phone, i now have decided to switch over to a iphone, simply due to iphones are not having the intrusive add issues samsung has going on, so to sum this up you at samsung are going to loose alot of customers because of the adds you think u must put out, so ill say good bye to samsung shortly and start a new chapter with my new iphone, you guys must realize u made the phone we buy the phone it now becomes our phones and if we wanted all the adds we would go online and get them, we dont want all the adds like you have now, get rid of these adds and you will gain back lost customers

ads? What ads were you getting? And when did they start? Which cellular carrier?

The only thing with ads in them are the apps you use. Example Visual Voicemail .. the current version of it you either pay for it, or you get ads, regardless if you're using the full extent of the program or just using the basic version of it. And so in a case like that, the answer is simple really .. don't use that app, I mean like ever.

Other than visual voicemail there hasn't been any samsung included app on mine (under Boostmobile) that generated ads, external to using the app and even with visual voicemail, it won't show you ads unless you're actually using the app. I do have gripes that the basic apps that came with the phone lost some of the features that were in the older (other) generations of the phone but in 60 days of use not one ad ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to TreborG2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TreborG2 Ad-Free
11th February 2018, 10:59 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Yes i love the s8 honestly i love this phone so much. roms custom kernels, hacking the samsung them strore doing all the crazy stuff getting 35 hours battery time on single charge listing to 16 hours of music time that display is so cool even that iphone X is suppose to befaster or whatever the S8 is so much better lol the only phone i consider to bay after i had my s8 since is it came out about year ago was the Note8 but it was to big:
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)