FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL][EAS][8.x/9.x/TREBLE][G95xF/FD/N] RZ Kernel for Samsung Galaxy S8(+) Exynos

329 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,237

By remilia15, Senior Member on 24th January 2019, 07:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from remilia15: First ever EAS kernel for Exynos 8895 platform
25th January 2019, 02:25 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag /dev/ram

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgun007

@remilia15 your kernel has no way of rooting it with super su or magisk and ur kernel doesn't come pre-installed with a rooting method so am asking myself what is the real purpose of this kernel that i cannot root? 🤷*♂️

The kernel doesn't come with root methods because I want users to have freedom of choices

And by the way, I can still root my device with Magisk 18.0 though

Sent from my SM-G955F using XDA Labs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190125-092512_Magisk Manager.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	4693159  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to remilia15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift remilia15 Ad-Free

25th January 2019, 02:36 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Yes it a gd thing u give us choices and i believe u should keep it that way as i still use super su but i tried flashing magisk and it gave me updater error v18.0 also tried super su but same thing
25th January 2019, 03:14 AM |#23  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilia15

The kernel doesn't come with root methods because I want users to have freedom of choices

Look what it say when i try to flash magisk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-24-21-03-13.png
Views:	584
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	4693168  
The Following User Says Thank You to jgun007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jgun007 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 04:40 AM |#24  
OP Senior Member
Flag /dev/ram

More
Quote:

Look what it say when i try to flash magisk.

Can you try installing Magisk first before installing the kernel?

The Following User Says Thank You to remilia15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift remilia15 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:20 AM |#25  

More
Quote:

Quote:

It worked only when i flashed back the kernel i was using which is tgp and in amora options i didn't choose a root option then flashed magisk Uninstaller then flashed ur kernel after and then super su and it worked! I think u need to modify ur kernel to uninstall any previous root for everyone to be able to flash their desired root method so they won't have any issues and i believe the issue stems from ur kernel not having a feature to uninstall previous root to start fresh with a unpatched/untouched boot image can you look into that please?
25th January 2019, 06:30 AM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag /dev/ram

More
Quote:

It worked only when i flashed back the kernel i was using which tgp and in amora options i didn't choose a root option then flashed magisk Uninstaller then flashed ur kernel after and then super su and it worked! I think u need to modify ur kernel to uninstall any previous root for everyone to be able to flash the desired root method so they won't have any issues and i believe the issue stems from ur kernel not have a feature to uninstall previous root ti start fresh with a unpatched/untouched boot image can you look into that please?

The kernel installer itself only replaces ramdisk files to the source ramdisk, which is from the previous packed boot.img of the device. I'm sure that it doesn't interfere with any root installation methods, or just because you installed a different kernel that heavily patches ramdisk files, which will cause Magisk conflicts in this situation

And for the option to uninstall previous root method, well.... I don't think I'm gonna add that, because I would like to keep the installer as clean as possible. Also for the uninstallation method, I won't keep track of Magisk or SuperSU ramdisk changes in future builds, so it will be complicated to uninstall these root methods. Only proper way here is to use their uninstallers provided by the developers, or just simply reflash your backed up stock boot.img, which is the cleanest way

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to remilia15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift remilia15 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:35 AM |#27  

More
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The kernel installer itself only replaces ramdisk files to the source ramdisk, which is from the previous packed boot.img of the device. I'm sure that it doesn't interfere with any root installation methods, or just because you installed a different kernel that heavily patches ramdisk files, which will cause Magisk conflicts in this situation

And for the option to uninstall previous root method, well.... I don't think I'm gonna add that, because I would like to keep the installer as clean as possible. Also for the uninstallation method, I won't keep track of Magisk or SuperSU ramdisk changes in future builds, so it will be complicated to uninstall these root methods. Only proper way here is to use their uninstallers provided by the developers, or just simply reflash your backed up stock boot.img, which is the cleanest way

Cool thanks for the info... Kernel is running smooth right now will do further testing... 😊
26th January 2019, 10:17 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Kernel running smooth and good. 3% drain overnight (~0.5% per hour, wich is acceptable for me)
My question is..will we get OC in this kernel? 2.65 or 2.81 GHz?
26th January 2019, 11:32 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Great kernel
Let S8 get a new life
Now, power saving is the most important
S8 is a bit old

It is best to add voltage
This saves more power
thank you very much
26th January 2019, 04:21 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Flag /dev/ram

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartuniac

Kernel running smooth and good. 3% drain overnight (~0.5% per hour, wich is acceptable for me)
My question is..will we get OC in this kernel? 2.65 or 2.81 GHz?

First of all, I accept no CPU OC on this platform. 2,3GHz on big cluster is enough to kill battery when you run benchmarks already
Daily normal tasks won't even use up to that high frequency usually

Second, Samsung is doing something weird to the kernel. I did tried changing CPU frequency tables once and find that it automatically reverts to default. This might due to ECT driver that I am totally unsure how it works. OC'ing or even UC'ing is currently not possible

26th January 2019, 04:21 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Flag /dev/ram

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xudahua123

Great kernel
Let S8 get a new life
Now, power saving is the most important
S8 is a bit old