AdHell 2 - Rootless Ad Blocking

349 posts
Thanks Meter: 347

By FiendFyre, Senior Member on 27th August 2017, 07:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

AdHell 2

Code:
*** Disclamer

I first want to note that the original developer did not help me in any way with this, he did not provide me with the code (it was found from public forks from his Github), nor guidance on modifying the app. I do not want to cause him any further inconvenience or trouble with his job.
I simply forked the code and made some minor changes, so majority credit goes to the original dev, but as he is now dissociated from the project any other developers (including some of the contributors from the first version) are welcome to help continue. I take no responsibility for any issues this app may cause with your device.
Introduction
Quote:

Hi everyone, since Adhell was removed from the Play Store and the code was taken down from Github, I (not the original developer) got a copy of the publicly available code and made some changes to remove dependence on the original developer's server and removed the subscription on the new permissions feature. It was a very quick and dirty edit, but it was just to ensure the app still works once the original developer takes down everything related from his website, which the app relies on.
The way this app works was to utilize Samsung's Knox framework which included a Firewall feature that allowed ads to be blocked. The additional features such package disabling and permission blocking were also done through Knox. In order to make a Knox compatible app, a license has to be used, and the only way to get one is from Samsung unfortunately. It is fairly easy to get a "development" key from Samsung which lasts for 1-3 months (I believe) and so I have modified the app to require each user to enter their own key. I know this is not ideal, but it will keep working like this, and it reduces threat of Samsung revoking the license and disabling the app entirely for everyone. If any developer wants to help me rework the app, please let me know, help is definitely appreciated, and my code is still open source and available on Github. I'm a broke college student with very little time to work on this, and am by no means a professional dev, so I apologize in advance for slow updates and probably little in the way of additional features. I will do my best to keep it working.

Installation instructions
Quote:

So to procure your own "developer" license, you need to go to this link, and either register for a Samsung account or sign into your own, and then enroll as a developer. After that proceed to this link and generate a Knox Standard SDK Enterprise license key with a generic "key alias" (I recommend something like "testing", not something like "adhell", just in case). Copy over the key to your device somehow (email, Join, Pushbullet, etc.) as it is pretty long. When you open up the new Adhell 2 app, you will see a popup asking you to enable device admin access, enter a key, and then enable license, do the three steps in that order. If the key is not entered correctly, the license will not activate.

Download
Quote:

This link will randomize the package name to stop Samsung from blocking the app. Every 2 minutes you can rebuild the app, but please only do this if the current version stop working.
http://adhell.nobelium.xyz

Changelog
Quote:

Code:
Current changelog: -- 8/27/17
[note] -- Made all features free
[changed] -- Changed app to rely on user supplied Knox license

If anyone wants to donate, it is very much appreciated, and here is a PayPal link - this will go towards funding my college tuition which is too damn expensive.
The app will be free and I will not be re-enabling the subscription or making any features premium.

XDA:DevDB Information
AdHell 2, Device Specific App for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
FiendFyre, Raymonf
Source Code: https://github.com/MilanParikh/Adhell2

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 2.2.0
Beta Release Date: 2017-11-27

Created 2017-08-27
Last Updated 2017-11-27
The Following 177 Users Say Thank You to FiendFyre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FiendFyre Ad-Free

27th August 2017, 07:29 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice. But why did you remove the blocked url reports?
27th August 2017, 07:46 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xingle

Nice. But why did you remove the blocked url reports?

I didn't think I did, the button is still there?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FiendFyre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FiendFyre Ad-Free
27th August 2017, 07:55 PM |#4  

More
O yea. I just it after turning on the app. My bad. Sorry.
Thanks a lot for the app. If you add a donation app on play store I might be able to donate something. Do let me know if you ever do something like that. Paypal isn't my thing unfortunately :|

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiendFyre

I didn't think I did, the button is still there?

O yea. I just it after turning on the app. My bad. Sorry.
Thanks a lot for the app. If you add a donation app on play store I might be able to donate something. Do let me know if you ever do something like that. Paypal isn't my thing unfortunately :|
27th August 2017, 08:20 PM |#5  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 66

More
followed your steps. got my key. enter it in and it fails to register. what is the middle button for in the popup? submit knox key i think it says. i have tried reinstalling it a couple times. i have used both the really long knox key samsung gave me and the much shorter key. i have tried with and without pushing the middle button before the activation button. nothing seems to work. no idea what i am doing wrong here. verizon s8+ running unlocked firmware.

Edit: Just went and got an enterprise key as someone on reddit suggested that was the correct key to use. No difference. Still won't activate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hobson318 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hobson318 Ad-Free
27th August 2017, 08:22 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Nothing happens when i click submit nox key or activate
27th August 2017, 08:30 PM |#7  
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 376

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson318

followed your steps. got my key. enter it in and it fails to register. what is the middle button for in the popup? submit knox key i think it says. i have tried reinstalling it a couple times. i have used both the really long knox key samsung gave me and the much shorter key. i have tried with and without pushing the middle button before the activation button. nothing seems to work. no idea what i am doing wrong here. verizon s8+ running unlocked firmware.

I have the same issue. I have made sure that the license type is Enterprise (the first tab on the Samsung site). The 'Submit Knox' key never grays out, and the 'Activation' takes almost a minute before it comes back as failed.

I have Adhell 1.7.3 installed but deactivated. Don't know if that matters.
27th August 2017, 08:38 PM |#8  
Flag Pittem
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Submitted and got 2 keys.. neither one of them works..
27th August 2017, 08:39 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson318

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoMaximus

Nothing happens when i click submit nox key or activate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlocker

I have the same issue. I have made sure that the license type is Enterprise (the first tab on the Samsung site). The 'Submit Knox' key never grays out, and the 'Activation' takes almost a minute before it comes back as failed.

I have Adhell 1.7.3 installed but deactivated. Don't know if that matters.

Working on figuring out the License activation fail everyone, the same version (same .apk file) was working just fine yesterday and testers had no issues. Seems like Samsung might have done something on their end. Give me a little bit to see what's going on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiendFyre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FiendFyre Ad-Free
27th August 2017, 08:45 PM |#10  

More
Activated fine on my end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170828-001404.png
Views:	6882
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4254381  
27th August 2017, 09:13 PM |#11  
Flag Pasig