Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

FiendFyre

Jul 11, 2012
5aHYJta.png

AdHell 2

Code:
*** Disclamer

I first want to note that the original developer did not help me in any way with this, he did not provide me with the code (it was found from public forks from his Github), nor guidance on modifying the app. I do not want to cause him any further inconvenience or trouble with his job.
I simply forked the code and made some minor changes, so majority credit goes to the original dev, but as he is now dissociated from the project any other developers (including some of the contributors from the first version) are welcome to help continue. I take no responsibility for any issues this app may cause with your device.

Introduction
Hi everyone, since Adhell was removed from the Play Store and the code was taken down from Github, I (not the original developer) got a copy of the publicly available code and made some changes to remove dependence on the original developer's server and removed the subscription on the new permissions feature. It was a very quick and dirty edit, but it was just to ensure the app still works once the original developer takes down everything related from his website, which the app relies on.
The way this app works was to utilize Samsung's Knox framework which included a Firewall feature that allowed ads to be blocked. The additional features such package disabling and permission blocking were also done through Knox. In order to make a Knox compatible app, a license has to be used, and the only way to get one is from Samsung unfortunately. It is fairly easy to get a "development" key from Samsung which lasts for 1-3 months (I believe) and so I have modified the app to require each user to enter their own key. I know this is not ideal, but it will keep working like this, and it reduces threat of Samsung revoking the license and disabling the app entirely for everyone. If any developer wants to help me rework the app, please let me know, help is definitely appreciated, and my code is still open source and available on Github. I'm a broke college student with very little time to work on this, and am by no means a professional dev, so I apologize in advance for slow updates and probably little in the way of additional features. I will do my best to keep it working.

Installation instructions
So to procure your own "developer" license, you need to go to this link, and either register for a Samsung account or sign into your own, and then enroll as a developer. After that proceed to this link and generate a Knox Standard SDK Enterprise license key with a generic "key alias" (I recommend something like "testing", not something like "adhell", just in case). Copy over the key to your device somehow (email, Join, Pushbullet, etc.) as it is pretty long. When you open up the new Adhell 2 app, you will see a popup asking you to enable device admin access, enter a key, and then enable license, do the three steps in that order. If the key is not entered correctly, the license will not activate.

Download
This link will randomize the package name to stop Samsung from blocking the app. Every 2 minutes you can rebuild the app, but please only do this if the current version stop working.
http://adhell.nobelium.xyz

Changelog
Code:
Current changelog: -- 8/27/17
[note] -- Made all features free
[changed] -- Changed app to rely on user supplied Knox license

If anyone wants to donate, it is very much appreciated, and here is a PayPal link - this will go towards funding my college tuition which is too damn expensive.
The app will be free and I will not be re-enabling the subscription or making any features premium.

XDA:DevDB Information
AdHell 2, Device Specific App for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
FiendFyre, Raymonf
Source Code: https://github.com/MilanParikh/Adhell2

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 2.2.0
Beta Release Date: 2017-11-27

Created 2017-08-27
Last Updated 2017-11-27

Last edited:

Xingle

Dec 2, 2016
O yea. I just it after turning on the app. My bad. Sorry.
Thanks a lot for the app. If you add a donation app on play store I might be able to donate something. Do let me know if you ever do something like that. Paypal isn't my thing unfortunately :|

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I didn't think I did, the button is still there?

O yea. I just it after turning on the app. My bad. Sorry.
Thanks a lot for the app. If you add a donation app on play store I might be able to donate something. Do let me know if you ever do something like that. Paypal isn't my thing unfortunately :|

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
followed your steps. got my key. enter it in and it fails to register. what is the middle button for in the popup? submit knox key i think it says. i have tried reinstalling it a couple times. i have used both the really long knox key samsung gave me and the much shorter key. i have tried with and without pushing the middle button before the activation button. nothing seems to work. no idea what i am doing wrong here. verizon s8+ running unlocked firmware.

Edit: Just went and got an enterprise key as someone on reddit suggested that was the correct key to use. No difference. Still won't activate.

Last edited:

meatlocker

Jul 29, 2007
FL
followed your steps. got my key. enter it in and it fails to register. what is the middle button for in the popup? submit knox key i think it says. i have tried reinstalling it a couple times. i have used both the really long knox key samsung gave me and the much shorter key. i have tried with and without pushing the middle button before the activation button. nothing seems to work. no idea what i am doing wrong here. verizon s8+ running unlocked firmware.

I have the same issue. I have made sure that the license type is Enterprise (the first tab on the Samsung site). The 'Submit Knox' key never grays out, and the 'Activation' takes almost a minute before it comes back as failed.

I have Adhell 1.7.3 installed but deactivated. Don't know if that matters.

FiendFyre

Jul 11, 2012

Nothing happens when i click submit nox key or activate

I have the same issue. I have made sure that the license type is Enterprise (the first tab on the Samsung site). The 'Submit Knox' key never grays out, and the 'Activation' takes almost a minute before it comes back as failed.

I have Adhell 1.7.3 installed but deactivated. Don't know if that matters.

Working on figuring out the License activation fail everyone, the same version (same .apk file) was working just fine yesterday and testers had no issues. Seems like Samsung might have done something on their end. Give me a little bit to see what's going on.

FiendFyre

Jul 11, 2012
Ok everyone, it seems like Samsung is blocking my app specifically. When I change the package name (basically the internal app identifier) the license verification goes through just fine. I just tested on two devices and it worked just fine once I changed the package name, and if I change it back the verification breaks again. I'll see if I can find a permanent fix to stop them from blocking the app, but in the mean time I'll post up a new .apk with a changed package name. Keep in mind, Samsung seems to be monitoring this, and it will likely stop working again.

Reactions: Demonoid_i_am

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Sammy has people working hard on Sunday. Already none of my keys are working. SDK (either long or short) nor Enterprise are working.

FiendFyre

Jul 11, 2012
This may sound a bit weird but adhell (1) is working jusf fine for me..
Do you mean the original app from the play store? I do believe that is still working, if you find the apk online (it's posted everywhere), problem is it's reliant on some stuff from the original dev's servers, so when that goes down, anyone trying to install will have trouble. That's why I made this. But Samsung doesn't like me apparently.

It works with the latest apk. Good job!
Thanks!

Pawbrotm

Dec 24, 2010
It's actually starting to look silly how hard they are trying to stop people that don't care about their useless assistant that does only one thing - wastes resources and a potentially useful physical button. Button remappers first and now this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ajm786
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    5aHYJta.png

AdHell 2

Code:
    *** Disclamer

I first want to note that the original developer did not help me in any way with this, he did not provide me with the code (it was found from public forks from his Github), nor guidance on modifying the app. I do not want to cause him any further inconvenience or trouble with his job.
    I simply forked the code and made some minor changes, so majority credit goes to the original dev, but as he is now dissociated from the project any other developers (including some of the contributors from the first version) are welcome to help continue. I take no responsibility for any issues this app may cause with your device.

Introduction
    Hi everyone, since Adhell was removed from the Play Store and the code was taken down from Github, I (not the original developer) got a copy of the publicly available code and made some changes to remove dependence on the original developer's server and removed the subscription on the new permissions feature. It was a very quick and dirty edit, but it was just to ensure the app still works once the original developer takes down everything related from his website, which the app relies on.
    The way this app works was to utilize Samsung's Knox framework which included a Firewall feature that allowed ads to be blocked. The additional features such package disabling and permission blocking were also done through Knox. In order to make a Knox compatible app, a license has to be used, and the only way to get one is from Samsung unfortunately. It is fairly easy to get a "development" key from Samsung which lasts for 1-3 months (I believe) and so I have modified the app to require each user to enter their own key. I know this is not ideal, but it will keep working like this, and it reduces threat of Samsung revoking the license and disabling the app entirely for everyone. If any developer wants to help me rework the app, please let me know, help is definitely appreciated, and my code is still open source and available on Github. I'm a broke college student with very little time to work on this, and am by no means a professional dev, so I apologize in advance for slow updates and probably little in the way of additional features. I will do my best to keep it working.

Installation instructions
    So to procure your own "developer" license, you need to go to this link, and either register for a Samsung account or sign into your own, and then enroll as a developer. After that proceed to this link and generate a Knox Standard SDK Enterprise license key with a generic "key alias" (I recommend something like "testing", not something like "adhell", just in case). Copy over the key to your device somehow (email, Join, Pushbullet, etc.) as it is pretty long. When you open up the new Adhell 2 app, you will see a popup asking you to enable device admin access, enter a key, and then enable license, do the three steps in that order. If the key is not entered correctly, the license will not activate.

Download
    This link will randomize the package name to stop Samsung from blocking the app. Every 2 minutes you can rebuild the app, but please only do this if the current version stop working.
    http://adhell.nobelium.xyz

Changelog
    Code:
    Current changelog: -- 8/27/17
    [note] -- Made all features free
    [changed] -- Changed app to rely on user supplied Knox license

If anyone wants to donate, it is very much appreciated, and here is a PayPal link - this will go towards funding my college tuition which is too damn expensive.
    The app will be free and I will not be re-enabling the subscription or making any features premium.

XDA:DevDB Information
    AdHell 2, Device Specific App for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    FiendFyre, Raymonf
    Source Code: https://github.com/MilanParikh/Adhell2

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 2.2.0
    Beta Release Date: 2017-11-27

Created 2017-08-27
    Last Updated 2017-11-27
    Maybe you give simple instruction, for correctly build unique personal app on local user machine in Android SDK?

Manually building a debug APK using Android Studio:
    1. **First installation only: Turn off and delete / uninstall AdHell.
    2. On your phone, enable USB Debugging in Settings --> Developer Options
    3. Open my GitHub page: https://github.com/mmotti/Adhell2
    4. On the right-hand size, select Clone or Download
    5. Choose Download ZIP
    6. Once the download has completed, extract the zip file
    7. Download and install Android Studio (https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html)
    8. Open Android Studio
    9. Select Open an existing Android Studio project
    10. Navigate to your extracted zip file
    11. Select Adhell2-master and press OK
    12. At this point you may need to install SDK / build tools. Follow the onscreen instructions to do so.
    13. Wait until Gradle Build Running finishes (visible at the bottom).
    14. On the left-hand side, select the Gradle Scripts drop down
    15. Double click Build.Gradle (Module:app)
    16. Locate: applicationId "com.fiendfyre.AdHell” and change the digits after AdHell to a random sequence (e.g. “com.fiendfyre.AdHell14342”)
    17. You will see an alert at the top stating that Gradle files have changed. Click Sync Now.
    18. Wait for the Gradle Build process to finish
    19. Connect your phone VIA USB
    20. Press the Play button (triangle) at the top right
    21. Your phone should be visible – Select it and press OK.
    You may need to press allow on your phone at some point, too!

Adhell2 should then be installed and launched. Enable Admin and activate it as you normally would.

** Remember what you set as your applicationId. If you set your unique numbers the same each time, there will be no need to uninstall AdHell… It will simply install the newer APK over the old one.
    Easy (temporary) fix for the recent adblocking issues with Adhell

I hope this helps everyone who is experiencing the recently surfaced issue with Adhell ad blocking in Chrome. Read on if you have recently started seeing ads in Chrome, while Firefox and other apps are unaffected and blocked.

The cause of the issue is Chrome itself (not Adhell). It appears that Chrome has a built-in DNS client. Under certain conditions related to the accessibility of certain Google servers, Chrome bypasses the OS DNS client and starts using its own asynchronous DNS client. Thus, even if we are pushing our own hosts file using one of Knox APIs, Chrome (and only Chrome) will retain the ability to resolve the ad servers IPs.

The current (temporary) fix for that is as follows:

1. Go to chrome://flags
    2. Search for "dns"
    3. Set the "Async DNS" option to "Disabled". Close tab.
    4. Go to chrome://net-internals
    5. Select the DNS tab, and tap on "Clear Cache"
    6. Restart Chrome

Voila - Chrome will fall back to the OS DNS client, and ad blocking will be back to normal.

This is a temporary fix, as undoubtedly our friends at Google will remove the async DNS flag eventually. After all, why even bother to build in a horrible, insecure feature like this other than to fight hosts-based ad blockers? The long-term fix would be to block any and all DNS queries (UDP or TCP port 53) made by Chrome app directly. It really should not be doing that.

I am contemplating a complete switch to Firefox after this fiasco.
    OK. I have used a script to build 50 unique AdHell2 APKs and then uploaded them to a free web host (excuse the weird domain name – their choice, not mine).

http://mmotti.epizy.com/

The page will provide you with a random download link for one of the 50 APKs.

I could not think of a quicker or simpler solution. As each APK takes between one and two minutes to build and an eternity to upload on my 1Mbps upstream, 50 is as many as my patience will allow for now.

OP had a good solution in place, but this is simply a temporary measure until he is able to resolve the site issues.

Edit: Expect slow download speeds.
    I have credited you in a comment on your files and in a comment to the specific commit. How do I also credit you correctly on github? Can't find any option to add contributors or collaborators.
    Thanks, man :)

If I'm honest, I'm not sure. I'm relatively new to Github myself :silly:

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Download Adhell 2

100 unique APKs generated and uploaded to:

mmotti.epizy.com

giphy.gif