FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Question] What is a good brand of tempered glass that works and effective?

1,279 posts
Thanks Meter: 213

By xterminater07, Senior Member on 3rd March 2018, 04:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So the question is probably familiar from past phones from Sammy such as Note8 or S8/s8+ lol... The consensus from previous reads on XDA and reddit seems to be Whitestone Dome but a lot also gave negative reviews of it due it either lose touch response, or peeling off too easy. I had purchased a full adhesive from aliexpress for my Note8 but could not really use it since I sold the phone to get the S9+ . Anyone has any good recommendation for a tempered glass based on the brands they got for their previous Sammy? I mean recommendation as in, they dropped the phone with it on, like on the corners and the screen survived even though the glass shattered? Case would be great too, as I have a Supcase on the way. Thanks!!

4th March 2018, 10:28 AM |#2  
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Not the Whitestone then? I was almost about to pull the trigger on getting one for the S9+ but I'm hesitant now.
4th March 2018, 02:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
I've been using Whitestone for myself and my kids, although it has it's fragilities (cold, an snow can alter it) its the best i've tried. I've already ordered mine for the S9+... If i were you get a couple... just in case. As once you've tested it, you won't go back on the side glued ones. You just need to glue it well, and don't be in a hurry.

I've never had issues with touch sensitivity or peeling off (that's even nuts as it's literally glued to the screen, if you break the dome and need to peel it off you should be careful as it's glued it shatters and pieces can jump).
The Following User Says Thank You to SAO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SAO Ad-Free
5th March 2018, 03:44 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Whitestone Dome Glass is ONLY ONE and the best option for you !
No air gap , bubbles , lifting or rainbow effects by using our own LOCA Tech !
Full Cover ( edge to edge ) Full clear ( not blocking view-able area with black rims on the edge ) and Full protective

Keeping touch sensibility and staying case friendly. LOT MORE
I guarantee you that it is the best screen protector that is on the market .
Samsung's official partner (SMAPP) in screen protector and has many reviews already
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WHITESTONE5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WHITESTONE5 Ad-Free
5th March 2018, 06:54 AM |#5  
Flag Tulsa
Thanks Meter: 4

More
There may be another option now and as upset as I was with the first interation of Zagg's tempered glass screen protector for the s8+, they have come out with the glass curve elite. https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/invisi...alaxy-s9-plus/ They say that it has full adhesion. So if it actually works well they supply a lifetime warranty. It is 49.99 so it's expensive but I'm going to give it a shot.

Whitestone was great but with a long installation process, I went for it twice, I'm going to (no offense) pass on Whitestone for my s9+. If there was a tempered glass product for curved screens that was as easy to install as a flat screen tempered glass screen protector, and like a conventional screen protector has good full glass adhesion I'm going to go for that option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peanuttree For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Peanuttree Ad-Free
5th March 2018, 08:14 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have tried almost 5 brands but still did not get satisfactory result.
5th March 2018, 12:16 PM |#7  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Just pre ordered the white stone. It was the best on the note 8.
5th March 2018, 03:58 PM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Upgrading from two S7 edge to two S9+ (already pre-ordered) I never tried tempered glass on my smartphones because I found them a little too expensive to justify given that I have to buy two glass protectors. The OTAO 3D glass protector looked to be an "inexpensive" way to give tempered glass a try, but someone on the S9 thread about Screen Protectors complained about the OTAO falling off his phone whenever he took it out of his pocket. Some folks have also mentioned that this protector doesn't fully cover the curve edge which makes it "case friendly", but this also make it less appealing. These two negative findings put some doubt in my mind about ordering this specific protector for now. Folks using the S8+ have given this protector a "good" review on Amazon. But I also don't know if most of these reviews are for the "old" version or for the "Updated" version on this protector for the S8+. If there's someone here that has used the "Updated" OTAO protector on a Galaxy phone with a curved screen (preferably the S8+)... can you tell us about your experience? I guessthe "Updated" version is the one being used for the S9+.

I have used Zagg's Invisible HD shields on all my smartphones. I found them to be durable and compatible with many cases. Including cases for the S7 edge.Installing them is a little complex and you need to get it right the first time in order to avoid bubbles and the edges from lifting. I had to return the one that I installed on my wife's S7 edge once because a corner kept lifting and getting dust under it. All I had to do was return the old one and they send me a new one. Once I installed the replacement correctly, it has stayed on her phone for over a year without any issues. I'm waiting for it to be available in Amazon as they're usually discounted. The Zagg website indicates that they're sold out of their Invisible HD shield for the S9+
The Following User Says Thank You to tamanaco For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tamanaco Ad-Free
5th March 2018, 04:30 PM |#9  
Flag Panama City
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco

Upgrading from two S7 edge to two S9+ (already pre-ordered) I never tried tempered glass on my smartphones because I found them a little too expensive to justify given that I have to buy two glass protectors. The OTAO 3D glass protector looked to be an "inexpensive" way to give tempered glass a try, but someone on the S9 thread about Screen Protectors complained about the OTAO falling off his phone whenever he took it out of his pocket. Some folks have also mentioned that this protector doesn't fully cover the curve edge which makes it "case friendly", but this also make it less appealing. These two negative findings put some doubt in my mind about ordering this specific protector for now. Folks using the S8+ have given this protector a "good" review on Amazon. But I also don't know if most of these reviews are for the "old" version or for the "Updated" version on this protector for the S8+. If there's someone here that has used the "Updated" OTAO protector on a Galaxy phone with a curved screen (preferably the S8+)... can you tell us about your experience? I guessthe "Updated" version is the one being used for the S9+.

OTAO have two versions, a case-friendly one, which has to leave a couple of areas exposed for the case to fit, and a full cover one. I have had the case friendly one on my S8 and been very pleased with it. Never popped off. One person complaining his came off should not be taken to be evidence that there is something inherently wrong. There could be two reasons - either his was slightly faulty with not enough glue - no company has 100% quality control - or maybe he didn't press it on hard enough when he fitted it.

I've had two. The first one cracked when I dropped the phone on a marble floor but the phone screen was unmarked. Even though it cracked, it did not pop off. The edges still stuck. The second one is still on the phone.
5th March 2018, 05:19 PM |#10  
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree

There may be another option now and as upset as I was with the first interation of Zagg's tempered glass screen protector for the s8+, they have come out with the glass curve elite. https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/invisi...alaxy-s9-plus/ They say that it has full adhesion. So if it actually works well they supply a lifetime warranty. It is 49.99 so it's expensive but I'm going to give it a shot.

Whitestone was great but with a long installation process, I went for it twice, I'm going to (no offense) pass on Whitestone for my s9+. If there was a tempered glass product for curved screens that was as easy to install as a flat screen tempered glass screen protector, and like a conventional screen protector has good full glass adhesion I'm going to go for that option.

Will be interested to hear how this full adhesive version stacks up against the LOCA types.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
5th March 2018, 07:20 PM |#11  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-j-f

OTAO have two versions, a case-friendly one, which has to leave a couple of areas exposed for the case to fit, and a full cover one. I have had the case friendly one on my S8 and been very pleased with it. Never popped off. One person complaining his came off should not be taken to be evidence that there is something inherently wrong. There could be two reasons - either his was slightly faulty with not enough glue - no company has 100% quality control - or maybe he didn't press it on hard enough when he fitted it.

I've had two. The first one cracked when I dropped the phone on a marble floor but the phone screen was unmarked. Even though it cracked, it did not pop off. The edges still stuck. The second one is still on the phone.

Thanks for your reply... The complains put "some doubt" in my mind about the protector, I had not concluded that there was something inherently wrong with the OTAO. I posted here because I wanted to hear comments from other folks before I made my decision.

I didn't know that OTAO also made a protector that fully covers the screen, but after you mentioned it... I searched further and also found the OTAO Full Screen Coverage - Double Strong 3D in Amazon. At the same $12 price as the Case Friendly. At this price point, I might get one of each and test them with the case I'm going to use. I'm looking for a slim TPU cases from Spigen, EasyAcc, ESR and Caseologic. Currently, I use a Ringke Slim case with my S7 edge, but given the larger screen size of the S9+; I'd like a more protective setup. What case are you using on your S8 with the OTAO case friendly protector?... Thanks again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)