FORUMS

Zagg Glass Curve Elite

1,188 posts
Thanks Meter: 558

Post Reply Email Thread
Edit: DO NOT BUY. You will be disappointed. In my opinion, it needs recalling and redesigning.

Note: please see edit at bottom.

Thought I'd talk about the Zagg Glass Curve Elite as it seems to be overlooked in favour of these LOCA types.

I upgraded from an S7 EDGE and in the first few months of owning it I spent a lot of money and for the most part wasted that money trying to find a decent glass screen protector for the edged screen with not much joy. The issue as everyone knows by now is that virtually none are fully adhesive.

I've used Zagg products for years now and have never had reason to fault them, but they did mess up their first iteration of a TGSP for the S7 EDGE. Since then, I had given Zagg a wide birth.

After pre- ordering my S9+ I set about looking at how TGSP manufacturers had come along. I found of course, the Whitestone, but the process seemed complex and the price was pretty high for a TGSP. But what put me off was the use of LOCA. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Then I noticed Zagg were now offering a full adhesive TGSP without the use of LOCA. I placed an order and waited. I was sceptical after the S7 EDGE version (which wasn't fully adhesive). However it arrived today and I have to say, they've come good again for me.

Installation was dead easy. Clean the screen. Attach the positioning support. Apply the protector. Once on, it was just a case of squeezing out the air bubbles.

I thought I might have issues with cases as it does cover a lot of the edges, however to my surprise my Spigen Tough Armour fit fine (as shown). Sensitivity seems fine, although I did enable the enhanced touch option in settings as a precaution. The glass feels great and seems pretty tough.

Edit: Having used this for a couple of days now I have to point out one area where this protector falls short of being perfect and that's on the two side edges. For some reason known only to Zagg, they added thin black borders. At first I didn't notice it as a problem but now they're irritating me constantly. They obscure a portion of the edge meaning you can't see parts of the screen along that edge at times. And because it doesn't go all the way around the edge, you can see screen bleeding through on the outer edge. Its unsightly.

I've removed my recommendation as a result. It's such a shame because it would otherwise be perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180312_204038_008.jpg
Views:	3544
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	4445216

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris_c81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chris_c81 Ad-Free
12th March 2018, 11:48 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 255

More
Question. I noticed with a lot of the glass protectors on the S8+, if you looked at the screen along the edge of the phone, it didn't cover everything. You would see a sliver of screen past the protector. Or the small black boarder would cover part of the screen. Could you check this with yours? Maybe a picture or two?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
13th March 2018, 04:02 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycrkr

Question. I noticed with a lot of the glass protectors on the S8+, if you looked at the screen along the edge of the phone, it didn't cover everything. You would see a sliver of screen past the protector. Or the small black boarder would cover part of the screen. Could you check this with yours? Maybe a picture or two?

Can confirm that this is still the case. However, I wouldn't want it to go any further otherwise it would be incompatible with the majority of cases. It covers enough of the edge to not feel the edge of the protector when swiping in from either side of screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_c81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chris_c81 Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 05:48 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 474

More
Is it really full adhesive? How strong is it?
13th March 2018, 07:43 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater07

Is it really full adhesive? How strong is it?

100% full adhesive. I've not tried lifting it but it seems like it would need a good bit of leverage to pull it off, which is good as the plastic fitting frame caught it as I removed it, but the protector did not budge or crack.

13th March 2018, 11:18 AM |#6  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 18

More
My experience with the zagg was not so good.....

I am experienced with installing TGSPs

I did follow the instructions to the letter!

One edge seemed to work well.....the other, not so much
I could get all the bubbles out, but then it wanted to lift back off all by itself?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fMP...w?usp=drivesdk

And some photos of the good edge, showing coverage

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_192719.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	4445706Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_192850.jpg
Views:	1562
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	4445707
13th March 2018, 11:37 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_c81

Thought I'd talk about the Zagg Glass Curve Elite as it seems to be overlooked in favour of these LOCA types.

I upgraded from an S7 EDGE and in the first few months of owning it I spent a lot of money and for the most part wasted that money trying to find a decent glass screen protector for the edged screen with not much joy. The issue as everyone knows by now is that virtually none are fully adhesive.

I've used Zagg products for years now and have never had reason to fault them, but they did mess up their first iteration of a TGSP for the S7 EDGE. Since then, I had given Zagg a wide birth.

After pre- ordering my S9+ I set about looking at how TGSP manufacturers had come along. I found of course, the Whitestone, but the process seemed complex and the price was pretty high for a TGSP. But what put me off was the use of LOCA. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Then I noticed Zagg were now offering a full adhesive TGSP without the use of LOCA. I placed an order and waited. I was sceptical after the S7 EDGE version (which wasn't fully adhesive). However it arrived today and I have to say, they've come good again for me.

Installation was dead easy. Clean the screen. Attach the positioning support. Apply the protector. Once on, it was just a case of squeezing out the air bubbles.

I thought I might have issues with cases as it does cover a lot of the edges, however to my surprise my Spigen Tough Armour fit fine (as shown). Sensitivity seems fine, although I did enable the enhanced touch option in settings as a precaution. The glass feels great and seems pretty tough.

Overall I would highly recommend this for those looking for a good alternative to the Whitestone.Attachment 4445216

thank for this post
13th March 2018, 12:47 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie9300

My experience with the zagg was not so good.....

I am experienced with installing TGSPs

I did follow the instructions to the letter!

One edge seemed to work well.....the other, not so much
I could get all the bubbles out, but then it wanted to lift back off all by itself?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fMP...w?usp=drivesdk

And some photos of the good edge, showing coverage

Attachment 4445706Attachment 4445707

This is the inherent problem with screen protectors unfortunately. One users experience (generally related to how the install went for the user) can differ significantly.

I'll get some photos up of mine at next opportunity. But I cannot complain at the moment. It's the best TGSP I've had for edged screen phones (of which the S9+ is my second after the S7). Sorry it didn't work out for you man.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_c81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chris_c81 Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 04:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 474

More
Quote:

100% full adhesive. I've not tried lifting it but it seems like it would need a good bit of leverage to pull it off, which is good as the plastic fitting frame caught it as I removed it, but the protector did not budge or crack.

Does the zagg curve down and cover the whole thing, or is it right where the edge tapered off like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Tempered-Glas...+full+adhesive
13th March 2018, 04:55 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater07

Does the zagg curve down and cover the whole thing, or is it right where the edge tapered off like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Tempered-Glas...+full+adhesive

It curves somewhat down the sides but not enough to interfere with cases. I'll get some photos up in a bit.

13th March 2018, 05:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 255

More
Quote:

Can confirm that this is still the case. However, I wouldn't want it to go any further otherwise it would be incompatible with the majority of cases. It covers enough of the edge to not feel the edge of the protector when swiping in from either side of screen.

Is there a black boarder around the sides? I don't mind if it doesn't go all the way, but if there's boarder it cuts off part of the screen

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)