With that being said, Extreme Syndicate Root is now available!
The Extreme Syndicate team and it's affiliates are not responsible for your actions or your device if any issues are to arise. You flash this and utilize these files at your own risk. You have been warned!
I will not get into any technical details here. Just know that this method has taken me ~1 year from start to finish. I also went through a number of devices during this time (at least 7 devices), even sold my original N9 then somehow ended up with another one before this root method was found. Some of us devs might be a bit burnt out so don't get upset if we are not in here all day every day answering everyones questions. We hope users will help eachother, that is what XDA is all about! Also, if you want more real time conversation/support then please join our Telegram group (link posted below) as this is easier for us to moderate and allows discussion to be had in real time. I don't always check XDA messages or PM's as it can be a lot and very tiresome so your best bet is Telegram!
Also, donations/money is not expected or required but if you feel obliged to share what you can then that would be greatly appreciated! Donations keep me on the grind and sometimes can even help me in acquiring other devices to work on. I had issues with Paypal a while back (SamPWND days) and do not have a Paypal account. I do however have a Venmo and Transferwise accounts that work in most situations.
Venmo - http://www.venmo.com/Thomas-Huntington-10
Transferwise - PM @elliwigy for info to donate using Transferwise.
Now Let's get into the files/method!
- This does NOT trip KNOX so don't ask.
- Bootloader is of course still locked.
- This uses some partitions from combo firmware which means 80% battery.
- Each variant will have its own post in its own section. N9 in N9 section, S9 in S9 section, S9+ in S9+ section.. Make sure youre in the right one!
* Variants this should work on are: N960U/U1/W, G965U/U1/W, G960U/U1/W. If you do not have one of these variants then this forum is not for you!
- Initial files/method will leave you on Oreo stock root.
* Some users were successful in running Pie GSI but the initial posts will not include this. Others will do this and maybe down the road threads will be updated.
- It works on latest rev's from rev1 up to the most recent revs.
- As of the initial first release, all variants have an issue with MTP not working, we are working on it however.
- S9 and S9+ also might have some issues with the selfie cam. Also being looked into.
- There will be 3 threads created as this method works on 3 different variants. These groups will be facilitated by the following:
- Note 9 @elliwigy
- S9+ @klabit87
- S9 @jrkruse
- Telegram Support Group for All 3: https://t.me/joinchat/DxwvAlhtzHjg4EI9973BGQ
1. Downloads: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...26312261711769
2. In odin folder flash the combo firmware
3. Once combo is booted up run the root bat. When done phone will reboot to download.
4. In odin flash the bootswap.tar.md5 file. What this does is swaps the boot and recovery images which allows system to be mounted rw.
5. Now when done flashing you need to hold the buttons to boot to recovery but since we swapped boot and recovery images it will boot system.
6. Now put your phone in airplane mode. This must be done whenever using Flashfire. Copy the system.img, vendor.img, and ODM zip files to your phone.
7. In Flashfire, choose zip and select the odm zip. Then choose firmware and choose the system.img and the vendor.img. Then choose data wipe and wipe user and system data (the default choices). Make sure inject super su is NOT enabled. Disable it. Do not let flashfire inject root!!
8.. Now click flash. When finished you will have to hold buttons to reboot to recovery until you see boot animation. You must do this on every reboot. If you do not it will reboot to stock recovery. If it reboots to stock recovery just reboot system and hold buttons to reboot to recovery again.
9. When rom is booted up your computer will not recognize the phone for mtp file transfer. Adb does still work so you can transfer stuff that way (you need to switch to ptp transfer method in the dropdown) or use USB adapter and use a thumb drive.
10. Biometrics do not work so don’t try to setup fingerprint or face recognition.
Some GSI may work. YMMV
@jrkruse - Helping me over the years and for all his contributions.
@klabit87 - Ditto
@me2151 - Ditto
@GSM-CHEN - Ditto
@mweinbach - For always posting my achievements on the XDA News portal as well as giving me someone to troll sometimes when bored.
@ShaDisNX255 - He was our best tester, give him credits for testing out GSI as well!
@Everyone else I am forgetting!
Extreme Syndicate Root, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S9+
klabit87, elliwigy, me2151, jrkruse
Last Updated 2020-01-31