Isn't it supposed to have FM radio. I dint see any player app

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

18th March 2018, 08:39 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Meridian, ID
Thanks Meter: 856

Donate to Me
More
(1) the SM-G965U and SM-G965U1 have an FM radio chip. Other variants might as well.

(2) even if you do have the chip, there are missing drivers for some variants (like the SM-G965U1), which Samsung said they'd fix

(3) even if you do have the chip and the drivers, you need a third party app to play music. I like NextRadio. You'll know if it's working if you get the option in NextRadio to switch off streaming entirely and only use the FM chip
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psouza4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psouza4 Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 09:06 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4

(1) the SM-G965U and SM-G965U1 have an FM radio chip. Other variants might as well.

(2) even if you do have the chip, there are missing drivers for some variants (like the SM-G965U1), which Samsung said they'd fix

(3) even if you do have the chip and the drivers, you need a third party app to play music. I like NextRadio. You'll know if it's working if you get the option in NextRadio to switch off streaming entirely and only use the FM chip

Thanks I installed and was able to tune into local FM stations without WiFi

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to hem.acharya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hem.acharya Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 10:19 AM |#4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I have SM-G965F (AUSTRALIA) unlocked direct from Samsung, and it has an FM chip.

Just installed a radio app and it works fine!
18th March 2018, 10:21 AM |#5  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 1,116

More
SM-G965F (European) and all other variant except US don't have FM Chip
18th March 2018, 10:47 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgart

SM-G965F (European) and all other variant except US don't have FM Chip

I know they're not entirely reliable, but the Samsung rep I spoke with said all variants have the chip, unlocked devices without being carrier specific have a bug disabling the chip which will be corrected soon.
I also spoke with a representative from NextRadio that concurred and the two companies are working on the fix.
18th March 2018, 10:49 AM |#7  
Flag Rome

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlZThis

I know they're not entirely reliable, but the Samsung rep I spoke with said all variants have the chip, unlocked devices without being carrier specific have a bug disabling the chip which will be corrected soon.
I also spoke with a representative from NextRadio that concurred and the two companies are working on the fix.

yes ok but you are speaking about SM-G965U1 that is US Unlocked variant (like mine ) Snapdragon Chipset...
18th March 2018, 10:51 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

yes ok but you are speaking about SM-G965U1 that is US Unlocked variant (like mine ) Snapdragon Chipset...

As being the variant that's suffering FM Chipset Disorder!? Yep and it sucks ... Seems kinda archaic having an fm chip but I'm kinda nastolgic like that. I was looking forward to it!
18th March 2018, 10:57 AM |#9  
Flag Rome

More
Quote:

As being the variant that's suffering FM Chipset Disorder!? Yep and it sucks ... Seems kinda archaic having an fm chip but I'm kinda nastolgic like that. I was looking forward to it!

i live in Italy for example but i've bought my S9+ Unlocked from Samsung . com (US Store) and used forwarder to send it to me. I always use FM because a lot of soccer talks running in Italy and because Sony camera sensors are better that Samsung one .

To have Qualcomm Snapdragon inside device is too better than have Exynos for a lot of reasons ...

European S9 / S9+ with Exynos don't have officially any FM chip inside device and this is a disaster ....
18th March 2018, 11:01 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

i live in Italy for example but i've bought my S9+ Unlocked from Samsung . com (US Store) and used forwarder to send it to me. I always use FM because a lot of soccer talks running in Italy and because Sony camera sensors are better that Samsung one .

To have Qualcomm Snapdragon inside device is too better than have Exynos for a lot of reasons ...

European S9 / S9+ with Exynos don't have officially any FM chip inside device and this is a disaster ....

Ah no kidding. I thought they all did...I guess I didn't look that close at the Exynos version.
Is your unlocked FM chip active? I've seen people flashing tmobile firmware on an unlocked which made the chip active.
18th March 2018, 11:04 AM |#11  
Flag Rome

More
Quote:

Ah no kidding. I thought they all did...I guess I didn't look that close at the Exynos version.
Is your unlocked FM chip active? I've seen people flashing tmobile firmware on an unlocked which made the chip active.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=17
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfgart For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wolfgart Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)