FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Help, no SIM phone works outside of Europe

95 posts
Thanks Meter: 11
 
By leandroqm, Member on 20th April 2018, 11:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello guys,

I live in the Netherlands now and my folks came to visit.
While they were here, they bought an S9+ (SM-965F) for themselves on Belsimpel (on the store) and took it to Brazil.
We asked the guy if the phone was completely unlocked and he said yes, but...
When we were unboxing the phone, it said: "European SIM Only."
We then tried inserting two SIM Cards at the same time, one from Italy (TIM Italia) and another one from Brazil (VIVO Brazil).
In Brazil, we never get asked for PIN/PUK, so when it booted up, we entered the default Italian PIN (0000).
It said it was wrong, so I tried again a couple of times and it did not work at all.
I thought it was weird, but I could call him on the Italian number and that was all I cared for the moment.
Fast forward a few days, they went back to Brazil and..... VIVO does not work.
My father went to a VIVO store and they could not solve it.
He went to a Samsung store, nothing...
He even went to ANATEL (Brazilian Agency of Telecommunications) to see if the IMEI was blocked somehow, it wasn't.

Please help us to get it working with VIVO!
 
 
20th April 2018, 09:40 PM |#2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
well... solved!
I got him an european SIM card and made a call over 10 minutes to him, that region-unlocked the phone, according to Samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to leandroqm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leandroqm Ad-Free
20th April 2018, 10:18 PM |#3  
fkofilee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Crawley
Thanks Meter: 379
 
Donate to Me
More
So Sammie are still doing the 5 minutes of calls with a particular SIM before itll work overseas... Well that sucks..
20th April 2018, 11:05 PM |#4  
Shipoftheline's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Salford
Thanks Meter: 174
 
More
Yea I've heard this regards the Indian version, you've got to use an Indian sim before any other works
21st April 2018, 03:10 PM |#5  
meyerweb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,146
 
More
It's designed to keep companies from importing large numbers of gray market phones to resell, while still making it possible for individuals to buy a phone in one market and use in another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meyerweb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meyerweb Ad-Free
31st July 2018, 08:20 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroqm

well... solved!
I got him an european SIM card and made a call over 10 minutes to him, that region-unlocked the phone, according to Samsung.

Quick question... Did you buy a Dutch sim card (prepaid), send it to him in Brazil and then made a 10 minute phone call to this Dutch sim card in Brazil? And that solved the problem? I bought the same phone also from Belsimpel and have the same problem now in Colombia, even though I made two 5 min calls using a KPN sim card before leaving the Netherlands. But so basically I can borrow a European sim card from someone here , put it in my phone and have someone call me from Europe? Thanks for confirming. Best.
The Following User Says Thank You to belteg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift belteg Ad-Free
2nd August 2018, 02:38 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by belteg

Quick question... Did you buy a Dutch sim card (prepaid), send it to him in Brazil and then made a 10 minute phone call to this Dutch sim card in Brazil? And that solved the problem? I bought the same phone also from Belsimpel and have the same problem now in Colombia, even though I made two 5 min calls using a KPN sim card before leaving the Netherlands. But so basically I can borrow a European sim card from someone here , put it in my phone and have someone call me from Europe? Thanks for confirming. Best.

Hi!

I landed him my old italian sim card.
We spoke for about 30 minutes in that call, so I am not sure for how long you should be on the call, but it worked!

Good luck!
6th August 2018, 01:46 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks for the reply. As it turned out my phone was not region locked as I had made 12 minutes worth of calls while in the Netherlands, using a local sim card. There might have been an easier solution for you though: I was told by Samsung that they have region unlock codes for such cases. You would simply have to request such code from Samsung in the country where you bought the phone.

My problem was different and had to do with the message "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK". Unfortunately, neither Samsung nor my Colombian provider could help me. I kept being referred from one to the other. My Colombian sim card would work on other phones so that was not the issue. My phone would not accept any Colombian sim card and it seems it had to do with the registration of phone itself in Colombia. In the end the only solution to unblock my phone was to use an online unblocking service. This worked perfectly. My phone was unblocked and I was then able to register my phone in Colombia without any problems. Shame this has to be so complicated but I am glad to be able to use my phone now.
29th August 2018, 01:48 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
My phone was bought in the UAE and Samsung Pay app etc doesnt work now that I am based in the UK. Samsung next to useless. Can i resolve this by getting a UAE sim (god knows how i'll do that) and then get someone from within the UAE to call me for say 20 minutes?
5th December 2018, 06:07 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Does anyone know that if we do a factory reset then do we need to do this 5 minutes call again?
11th February 2019, 02:45 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroqm

Hi!

I landed him my old italian sim card.
We spoke for about 30 minutes in that call, so I am not sure for how long you should be on the call, but it worked!

Good luck!

You solved this way? Can you lend me a hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belteg

Thanks for the reply. As it turned out my phone was not region locked as I had made 12 minutes worth of calls while in the Netherlands, using a local sim card. There might have been an easier solution for you though: I was told by Samsung that they have region unlock codes for such cases. You would simply have to request such code from Samsung in the country where you bought the phone.

My problem was different and had to do with the message "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK". Unfortunately, neither Samsung nor my Colombian provider could help me. I kept being referred from one to the other. My Colombian sim card would work on other phones so that was not the issue. My phone would not accept any Colombian sim card and it seems it had to do with the registration of phone itself in Colombia. In the end the only solution to unblock my phone was to use an online unblocking service. This worked perfectly. My phone was unblocked and I was then able to register my phone in Colombia without any problems. Shame this has to be so complicated but I am glad to be able to use my phone now.

Wich unlocking services you used? I have the same problem, I live in Argentina
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pin, puk, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes