FORUMS

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

83 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

Post Reply Email Thread
Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.
The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	4940173
Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.
The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).
The Following User Says Thank You to ginkage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ginkage Ad-Free
1st February 2020, 12:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Another ****ing moronic screw up of Samsung devs... did you post on their forum and report this via Samsung members ?
1st February 2020, 12:41 PM |#3  
OP Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag London

More
I did report via Samsung Members, and their first response was: "We don't actually develop the Daydream app. We'd recommend contacting the developers of the app, so that they can begin implementing a fix.". Disappointing to say the least.
I've followed up with some technical details (mentioned the same system flag), let's see if that helps.
I'm not sure which forum should I post this at, can you give me a link, please?
The Following User Says Thank You to ginkage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ginkage Ad-Free
1st February 2020, 04:56 PM |#4  
Flag London

More
OK, so their second response was as dumb as the first one...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200201-165329_Samsung Members.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	4940363

Anyway, started a thread on their forum as well.
1st February 2020, 08:43 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkage

OK, so their second response was as dumb as the first one...

Anyway, started a thread on their forum as well.

Isnt daydream a google developed service? Maybe they didnt update their app for the update pushed to our devices?
1st February 2020, 09:11 PM |#6  
Flag London

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxomen

Maybe they didnt update their app for the update pushed to our devices?

The app version doesn't matter: if it detects that the device doesn't specify the particular hardware flag I've mentioned, it won't run.
Samsung has removed this flag in Android 10 for some reason. All they need to do is to add
Code:
<feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
<feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />
to /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml, and it will work again. Google can't do it for them...
2nd February 2020, 10:56 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Typical Samsung... The support doesn't even ****ing read the messages !
I will reply to your thread on the forum.

Maybe if you send another message on Members just mentioning that they missed the flags (I mean keeping it short), maybe the support will actually pass it on to dev team ?
Maybe also don't mention daydream so it won't confuse the support with another app and a third party developer ?
The Following User Says Thank You to tiliarou For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tiliarou Ad-Free
28th March 2020, 09:22 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
This working yet?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)