FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Non working or Broken features in current Android Pie build

623 posts
Thanks Meter: 298

By wssyncmldm, Senior Member on 22nd September 2018, 04:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have compiled a list of things that does not work on this Pie update as of now. Tested on S9+ (SM-G965U) with various leaked Pie Builds (Originally SM-G965U1 unlocked, but flashed SM-G965U firmware G965USQUS3ARG8 to install Android Pie).

Build CRI5
  • Secure Folder. Unable to open the folder even after clearing app data. Clean odin flash, adb sideload then factory reset made it to work.
  • Dolby Atmos option doesn't function and audio quality is poor/not optimized.
  • Navigation Gesture. It works partially. Gestures are working properly and it does not hide the Navigation bar in this build like its supposed to. Full Navigation bar appear after swiping up for gestures.
  • Night Theme Toggle. Night theme is applied throughout the system regardless of updating the option.
  • [B]Night theme in Messages app[B] is not applied properly, Contact name text color is same as background card color which makes in invisible.
  • Samsung Galaxy Friends. Found this new option in Accessories which doesn't do anything at this moment. Accessories option in Settings is no longer available after clean flash.
  • App Icon badges. Doesn't show dot or notification number based on app notification. Its working after Clean Flash.
  • Typographic View Style for Notification on Lock screen doesn't change anything. Works after clean flash.
  • Image Detail Swipe up gesture in Camera and Gallery app is glitchy.
  • Samsung Pay doesn't work if its clean install of Pie update, only works in dirty install.
  • Samsung Theme is not fully baked. Applying theme from theme store only makes partial changes to the system.
  • Samsung DeX leaves the screen lit up.
  • Samsung Gear Device incompatibility. Unable to connect Samsung Gear watches through Galaxy Wearable app. Notice with message "Check weather your system software is compatible or needs to be updated, then try again" appears while trying to pair the device.

Build CRI6
  • WiFi Call quality is poor.
  • Secure Folder only works after clean flash.
  • Smart View or so called Screen Mirroring doesn't connect to device.
  • Dolby Atmos option seems to have some changes in audio quality but is not fully optimized like in Oreo.
  • Samsung Pay doesnt work if its clean install of Pie update, only works in dirty install.
  • Night Theme Toggle seems to make some changes in bit is not fully baked to look nice and prettier yet. It just looks work in progress.
  • Navigation Gesture. It works partially. Gestures are working properly and it does not hide the Navigation bar in this build like its supposed to. Full Navigation bar appear after swiping up for gestures.
  • Samsung DeX leaves the screen lit up.
  • Samsung Theme is not fully baked. Applying theme from theme store only makes partial changes to the system.
  • Samsung Gear Device incompatibility. Unable to connect Samsung Gear watches through Galaxy Wearable app. Notice with message "Check weather your system software is compatible or needs to be updated, then try again" appears while trying to pair the device.
  • Bluetooth Media Audio Volume limited the max default threshold. When prompted to increase volume beyond threshold warning doesn't go away after pressing OK. Volume remains the same.
  • USB Host Mode option is unable to set connected device as host. As a result, unable to use ADB. This issue only appear to be for few select people but its worth mentioning as a issue.
  • Samsung Cloud doesnt sync images to and from Gallery properly. Its a hit and miss.

Build CRI7
  • Phone Calls have issue in voice clarity. People on other end complain voice is small and little bit muffled.
  • Smart View or so called Screen Mirroring doesn't connect to device.
  • Dolby Atmos option seems to have some changes in audio quality but is not fully optimized like in Oreo. Fully Optimized and working now
  • Samsung Pay doesnt work if its clean install of Pie update, only works in dirty install.
  • Night Theme Toggle seems to make some changes in system apps but is not fully baked to look nice and prettier yet. It just looks like its work in progress.
  • Night theme in Messages app is not applied properly, contact name text color is same as background card color which makes it appear invisible.
  • Bluetooth Media Audio Volume limited the max default threshold. When prompted to increase volume beyond threshold warning doesn't go away after pressing OK. Volume remains the same.
  • Galaxy Wearables not syncing text messages to Gear S3.

Build CRJ1
  • Phone Calls have issue in voice clarity. People on other end complain voice is small and little bit muffled. They constantly ask to speak louder
  • Smart View/Screen Mirroring will crash phone and reboot.
  • Night Theme Toggle seems to make some changes in system apps but is not fully baked to look nice and prettier yet. It just looks like its work in progress.
  • Night theme in Messages app is not applied properly, contact name text color is same as background card color which makes it appear invisible.
  • Navigation Gesture. It works partially. Gestures are working properly for back and task manager. Home button gesture doesn't work at all and its pretty much non-existence (hard press in place where home button is doesn't do anything at all besides in AoD display.
  • Samsung Gear Device incompatibility. Unable to connect Samsung Gear watches through Galaxy Wearable app. Notice with message "Check weather your system software is compatible or needs to be updated, then try again" appears while trying to pair the device. Dirty Flash is from ARI6 with watch already paired is the only possible way to keep it working.
  • Galaxy Wearables not syncing text messages to Gear S3. Seems to be issue with Samsung messages app. Works perfectly while using Google Messages app.
  • SmartThings is unable to download controller for Samsung Smart TV

Build CRJ3
  • Smart View/Screen Mirroring will crash phone and reboot.
  • Samsung Pay doesnt work if its clean install of Pie update, only works in dirty install. Samsung Pay was updated on 10/16/2018 to support Pie OS builds.
  • Night theme in Messages app is not applied properly, contact name text color is same as background card color which makes it appear invisible. Restarting app seems to fix it
  • Navigation Gesture. It works partially. Gestures are working properly for back and task manager. Home button gesture doesn't work at all and its pretty much non-existence (hard press in place where home button is doesn't do anything at all besides in AoD display. Navigation Gesture is fully implemented in this build and works like a charm.
  • Samsung Gear Device incompatibility. Unable to connect Samsung Gear watches through Galaxy Wearable app. Notice with message "Check weather your system software is compatible or needs to be updated, then try again" appears while trying to pair the device. Dirty Flash is from ARI6 with watch already paired is the only possible way to keep it working. Galaxy Wearables has been updated to support Pie OS builds.
  • SmartThings is unable to download controller for Samsung Smart TV
  • Random Freeze occurs which leaves phone useless until rebooted. Cause of the freeze is not identified.
  • App Notification causes crash sometimes. Mostly seen with Samsung message application. You will notice error/crash vibration but no notification that was supposed to be displayed.

Build ZRJ7
  • Navigation gesture still have some minor issues
  • Samsung Pay doesnt work on this build anymore. Setup process freezes while entering New Pin code for the app.
  • SmartThings unable to download controller. It asks to update for app while it's already in latest version. New update on few days might fix the issue.

Build ZRJ7
  • Navigation gesture still have some minor issues
  • Samsung Pay doesnt work on this build anymore. Setup process freezes while entering New Pin code for the app.
  • SmartThings unable to download controller. It asks to update for app while it's already in latest version. New update on few days might fix the issue.

Build ZRJ8
  • Loss of Network Service after phone calls.
  • Navigation Gestures overlap with Samsung pay favorite card.
  • [B]Apps crash[B] because of app SystemUI crashing

Build ZRJ9
  • Phone calls not received from other Samsung android phones.
  • Samsung Cloud does not sync with account.
  • Backup and Restore does not work because of same account sync issue.
  • Status Bar notification icons are disabled by default. It has to be manually enabled from settings to show notification icons on status bar.
  • Lock Screen notification is set to icons only by default, it has to be manually set to detailed to get back previous look of notification.
  • [B]Bootloop[B] on some devices because of unknown reason.
  • [B]Soft Reboot[B] because of app SystemUI crashing

Build CRJB
  • Status Bar notification icons are disabled by default. It has to be manually enabled from settings to show notification icons on status bar.
  • Lock Screen notification is set to icons only by default, it has to be manually set to detailed to get back previous look of notification.
  • Iris verification in apps causes those apps to crash (For example Samsung Pay or Samsung Pass)
  • Samsung Pay cannot be used with Irish scanning, Irish verification step needs to be skipped to properly setup Samsung Pay.
  • VoLTE doesn't work.
  • GearVR is not working. Need to install older version of Gear VR Input service v1.1.04-11041100, Gear VR SetupWizard v3.0.21.302101000 and Gear VR System v1.6.02-160201000
  • Bluetooth audio devices have issue skipping or cutting out audio. It doesn't occur frequently, happens once in a while.

Other First party Samsung app has not been tested fully yet. List will be updated if more issues has been noticed

For bonus I have found some interesting new options

In developer mode:
  • Night mode
  • Force fill GNSS measurements
  • Feature Flags
    • settings_about_phone_v2
    • settings_bluetooth_while_driving
    • settings_data_usage_v2
    • settings_audio_switcher
    • settings_systemui_theme
    • settings_zone_picker_v2
    • settings_battery_display_app_list
  • Multiple PBAP properties
  • Simulate a display with cutout
    • None
    • Corner display cutout
    • Double display cutout
    • Tall display cutout

Secret code to change Network code and Sales code aka CSC code *#243203855# is functional.
Since some of us installed T-mobile firmware on devices from other carrier or factory unlocked devices from Samsung, this menu helped me to get rid of T-mobile's annoying Magenta boot screen.

Thanks to following people to help test Android Pie build and report the features that are broken or not working:
Thank you all for great support to this thread. As the pole suggested to include new features on each builds as well for that I will need some help to compile list. If anyone is interested to help and test to compile a list together with me, it will be much appreciated and list can be compiled faster. Please PM me
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wssyncmldm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wssyncmldm Ad-Free

22nd September 2018, 06:29 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Firm CRI6
Firm CRI6 has fixed some errors on CRI5
The Following User Says Thank You to Duyntt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Duyntt Ad-Free
22nd September 2018, 11:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duyntt

Firm CRI6 has fixed some errors on CRI5

I will update the post once I get chance to update and play with CRI6.
22nd September 2018, 11:53 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Samsung Pay doesnt work too....I tried personally...Rolled back
23rd September 2018, 12:14 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenennaoyeka

Samsung Pay doesnt work too....I tried personally...Rolled back

Samsung Pay was working fine for me until I decided to clear data of the app because it was not taking fingerprints, and guess what it stopped working for good. I will add that to the list
23rd September 2018, 12:23 AM |#6  
Flag Rockville,MD
Thanks Meter: 21

More
In my case AOD not working, Theme from Store is not working, DeX is workin but Phone screen still lit up, custom sounds is disapear all the time. Will check what else later
23rd September 2018, 12:59 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenia

In my case AOD not working, Theme from Store is not working, DeX is workin but Phone screen still lit up, custom sounds is disapear all the time. Will check what else later

For AOD try to clear data for Always On Display app from Settings>>Apps>>Show System Apps. That should do the trick.

Samsung Theme is not fully baked yet and is not able to apply theme throughout the system, so I suppose I can add that to the list.

Thanks for the update for DeX, I dont have a DeX with me to try it out but I can add that to the lis as well.

Can you explain more about custom sounds. I am not sure if I understood what you meant.

And what is the build number you are on, is it CRI5 or CRI6? Please let me know, because I have intended to make list based on builds
23rd September 2018, 01:10 AM |#8  
Flag Rockville,MD

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suyash1629

For AOD try to clear data for Always On Display app from Settings>>Apps>>Show System Apps. That should do the trick.

Samsung Theme is not fully baked yet and is not able to apply theme throughout the system, so I suppose I can add that to the list.

Thanks for the update for DeX, I dont have a DeX with me to try it out but I can add that to the lis as well.

Can you explain more about custom sounds. I am not sure if I understood what you meant.

I use my own notiphications and ringtones but after I reset phone it's disapear and i have to reapply again
Will try with AOD
Also I try to flash CRI6 after CRI5 and recovery don't see my SD card but It's installed and I can access true My Files app
23rd September 2018, 01:19 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I use my own notiphications and ringtones but after I reset phone it's disapear and i have to reapply again
Will try with AOD
Also I try to flash CRI6 after CRI5 and recovery don't see my SD card but It's installed and I can access true My Files app

I gave it a shot to try my custom ringtone and reboot. My settings for custom sounds stayed as is. I did not have to set my custom ringtone again.
23rd September 2018, 01:36 AM |#10  
Flag Rockville,MD

More
AOD still not working( not a big deal) also I try to disable absolute volume and it's not working ether
But I still enjoing Pie 9 on S9+
CRI6 also not installed
23rd September 2018, 05:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

AOD still not working( not a big deal) also I try to disable absolute volume and it's not working ether
But I still enjoing Pie 9 on S9+
CRI6 also not installed

Did you try adb sideload to flash the update?
I am still on CRI5. I will let you know if it works for me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android pie

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)