[Guide] Carrier Locked /Snapdragon/ S9+ 10 Hours SOT by Hiro

Search This thread

tomkleeeb

Apr 15, 2017
How to reliably get 10 hours of screen on time or more with the snapdragon s9+.

I do not use the "battery saving modes" under the top swipe menu. If you only apply parts of these settings, you will get worse battery life. I can reliabally get 10 hours with 30% brightness. I have gotten over 13 hours with more conservative settings, btw.
https://i.imgur.com/bCCSYGP.png

1. Settings
Wifi>
/Advanced>
//switch to mobile data (off) ; get better wifi if too slow, and manually disconnect.
//Turn wifi on automatically (off) ; !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this uses a lot of power
//wifi power saving mode (on)
//network notification (off)
//Autoconnect to at&t wifi (off)
connections>
/Bluetooth connect to nearby devices (off)
/NFC and payment (off)
/more connection settings>
//Nearby devise scanning (off) ; !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this uses a lot of power

Display>
Auto brightness (off) ; change the brightness yourself when you need it.
Screen mode (basic)
Screen resolution HD (1480x720)
Led indicator (off)
Block accidental touches (off) ; this saves lots of battery
Screen saver (off)

Advanced settings>
Smart stay (off)
Direct call (off)
Smart alert (off)
Easy mute (off)
Video enhancer (off)
Touch sensitivity (off)

Lock screen and security>
Smart lock (disable everything)
Biometrics (off) ; use a pin, fingerprint or password.
Always on display (off) ; this is a important one
App permission monitor (off)

Cloud accounts>
Off, use google drive only.
If not enough space use SD card, there is a card reader in the phone for a reason.

NFC; off
Bluetooth; off
Secure folder; off
Edge lighting; off
Smart view; off
Dolby atmos; off

Now the important bits
Download and use google messages
Download and use google dialer. (You need to use the patched one for non nexus devices.)
Download and use nova launcher (I cant use Samsung experience without being displeased)
Download and use google contacts
Download and use gboard

Long press on power saving
Unmonitored apps> messages, phone, gboard, contacts
Always sleeping apps>
Every single app in the phone that you do not depend on auto updating in the background.

PS: I personally am offering a bounty for modifying the SD card to be internal storage without root. I tried the classic adb commands to no avail. :(

sarni84

May 17, 2011
Levittown, PA
Yea lets gimp the phone....seriously why did you get the s9 lol. I use all my features i want turned on.. left phone off charger lost 3 % in 9 hours in standby mode. Pretty da$n good if ya ask me

Now why would i buy a expensive phone and turn all that off, i might as well use a flip phone seriously, i have all of it on from that list and i am happy with my AT&T S9 Plus getting over 8 hrs and half SOT with brightness at 95% and display at WQHD, that is nonsense to turn all that off.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ using XDA Labs

daraj

Jun 21, 2007
Florida, USA
Now why would i buy a expensive phone and turn all that off, i might as well use a flip phone seriously, i have all of it on from that list and i am happy with my AT&T S9 Plus getting over 8 hrs and half SOT with brightness at 95% and display at WQHD, that is nonsense to turn all that off.

Exactly!!!!!!!! Might as well buy a flip phone or Jitterbug

gravitywell

Mar 30, 2011

I do not use the "battery saving modes" under the top swipe menu. If you only apply parts of these settings, you will get worse battery life. I can reliabally get 10 hours with 30% brightness. I have gotten over 13 hours with more conservative settings, btw.

1. Settings
Wifi>
/Advanced>
//switch to mobile data (off) ; get better wifi if too slow, and manually disconnect.
connections>
/NFC and payment (off)

Display>
Screen mode (basic)
Led indicator (off)
Screen saver (off)

Advanced settings>
Smart stay (off)
Direct call (off)
Smart alert (off)
Easy mute (off)
Video enhancer (off)
Touch sensitivity (off)

Cloud accounts>
If not enough space use SD card, there is a card reader in the phone for a reason.

NFC; off
Bluetooth; off
Secure folder; off
Edge lighting; off
Smart view; off
Dolby atmos; off

Now the important bits
Download and use google dialer. (You need to use the patched one for non nexus devices.)
Download and use nova launcher (I cant use Samsung experience without being displeased)
Download and use gboard

Always sleeping apps>
Every single app in the phone that you do not depend on auto updating in the background.

PS: I personally am offering a bounty for modifying the SD card to be internal storage without root. I tried the classic adb commands to no avail. :(
Thanks for all the tips and tricks. This is some great info!

I disabled a few things from your list that I won't use, left some others on.

Not sure why everyone is complaining and whining, but thank you!

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
I can understand the desire, but making the SD adoptable storage negates having super fast UFS 2.1 storage. I could understand if we had slow eMMC or the like, but the storage in these phones are some of the fastest you can get, there's a real speed and usability advantage.

Reactions: Scott

TheDantee

Aug 20, 2016
Exactly!!!!!!!! Might as well buy a flip phone or Jitterbug

Yea lets gimp the phone....seriously why did you get the s9 lol. I use all my features i want turned on.. left phone off charger lost 3 % in 9 hours in standby mode. Pretty da$n good if ya ask me

"Amazing battery life", by disabling every feature of the phone. Lol, I've gotten close to 10 hours with all that **** enabled. Give me a break.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Every year it amazes me how many people use every single feature the phone has.... I never hear of anyone using some of these features on a daily but keeping them enabled obviously is the smart thing to do? Genius.... loving this Generation more and more by the day

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Turning a bunch of those features off would drive me crazy. Smart stay is worth whatever small amount of battery it uses to keep the screen from constantly turning off while I'm in the middle of something. And it lets me get away with a shorter timeout, which probably saves more battery than Smart stay uses. Reducing screen resolution has, at best, a tiny impact on battery life. We've got the best screen in the business - why cripple it? LED Off? Yeah, why would I want to know when I have an email or text message, or a missed call? Let those people wait!

Block accidental touches uses far less power than having the phone constantly turning the screen on while it's in your pocket or purse. Smart lock? For sure. Who wants convenience when you can get an extra 10 minutes of battery life instead? And Google apps? Really? The savings in battery life, if there's any at all, is probably measured in seconds per day.

And there's no reason not to let the keyboard sleep. It will wake up as soon as you want to type something. And it uses zero battery when you're not actually typing (and damn little even when you are typing). Actually, most of the apps on your phone use negligible battery when they're not actually in use. Go to Settings / Apps and look at actual CPU and battery usage. Most of them will show zero.

A few of these are legitimate if you don't actively use the features, but aside from the network stuff most will have minimal impact on battery life.

AT&T S9 Plus all day at work 4G LTE been at work all day 95% brightness and resolution WQHD all my features are on at 62% battery SOT 3hrs and 46 min Outstanding battery life, so there's no need to turn all those features in the list which is nonsense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180405-134649_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180405-134649_Settings.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_20180405-134655_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180405-134655_Settings.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: v_square

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
AT&T S9 Plus all day at work 4G LTE been at work all day 95% brightness and resolution WQHD all my features are on at 62% battery SOT 3hrs and 46 min Outstanding battery life, so there's no need to turn all those features in the list which is nonsense.
I want to know why your phone has been on for 4 hours while you're at work! I'm telling your boss! Get off Twitter! ?

TheDantee

Aug 20, 2016
Turning a bunch of those features off would drive me crazy. Smart stay is worth whatever small amount of battery it uses to keep the screen from constantly turning off while I'm in the middle of something. And it lets me get away with a shorter timeout, which probably saves more battery than Smart stay uses. Reducing screen resolution has, at best, a tiny impact on battery life. We've got the best screen in the business - why cripple it? LED Off? Yeah, why would I want to know when I have an email or text message, or a missed call? Let those people wait!

Block accidental touches uses far less power than having the phone constantly turning the screen on while it's in your pocket or purse. Smart lock? For sure. Who wants convenience when you can get an extra 10 minutes of battery life instead? And Google apps? Really? The savings in battery life, if there's any at all, is probably measured in seconds per day.

And there's no reason not to let the keyboard sleep. It will wake up as soon as you want to type something. And it uses zero battery when you're not actually typing (and damn little even when you are typing). Actually, most of the apps on your phone use negligible battery when they're not actually in use. Go to Settings / Apps and look at actual CPU and battery usage. Most of them will show zero.

A few of these are legitimate if you don't actively use the features, but aside from the network stuff most will have minimal impact on battery life.

I agree to keep the features on that you use... but the gestures where I pick up my phone and it vibrates or wipe my hand over the screen i never use and Im sure many others dont use either. I run 1440p with LED on and its amazing battery life

vintagerock

Jul 4, 2012
Every year it amazes me how many people use every single feature the phone has.... I never hear of anyone using some of these features on a daily but keeping them enabled obviously is the smart thing to do? Genius.... loving this Generation more and more by the day

So many assumptions here I don't know where to begin, but I'll just say it makes more sense to leave on all the features you're paying $900 for then to spend the $900 and use setting to turn the phone into a mid-range phone from 2015.

TheDantee

Aug 20, 2016
So many assumptions here I don't know where to begin, but I'll just say it makes more sense to leave on all the features you're paying $900 for then to spend the $900 and use setting to turn the phone into a mid-range phone from 2015.
Why have something run in the background you never use?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Agree with you, if people are not gonna use features and turn everything off, then a Smart phone is not for you buy a flip phone and you be all set , a 950.00 to turn all those features it's totally nonsense.

Reactions: Virgo_Guy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Settings
    Wifi>
    /Advanced>
    connections>
    /NFC and payment (off)

Display>
    Screen mode (basic)
    Led indicator (off)
    Screen saver (off)

Advanced settings>
    Smart stay (off)
    Direct call (off)
    Smart alert (off)
    Easy mute (off)
    Video enhancer (off)
    Touch sensitivity (off)

Cloud accounts>

NFC; off
    Bluetooth; off
    Secure folder; off
    Edge lighting; off
    Smart view; off
    Dolby atmos; off

Now the important bits
    Download and use gboard

Always sleeping apps>

"Amazing battery life", by disabling every feature of the phone. Lol, I've gotten close to 10 hours with all that **** enabled. Give me a break.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    The level of arrogance in this thread is appalling.

If you're not interested in disabling things, move on. We don't need lectures about your usage.

Either disable things, or don't. Move on and grow up.
    OP givings tips that i might follow parts of it just because sometimes i want a longer battery life throughout the day. If you think its ridiculous, save it for yourself. You are talking about giving opinion but your words are more like suggesting that OP is giving stupid tips. Buying a high end phone doesn't mean you would use every bits of the features offered, especially not all the time. Besides, turning off certain features to save battery.. dont u get it? We can always turn it back on if we want to right?

Back when 4G was introduced, i myself turned off 4G cause it drains more battery and only turn it on when i want to download or stream videos. I don't think that's ridiculous?

I personally prefer to use FHD all the time cause i prefer to see things sharp on my display. But so what if you reduce it to 720p to save more battery? You can never go back to FHD? Pfftt... The options to choose and toggle ON/OFF is there for a reason.

That is what SETTINGS are for guys. Otherwise tell samsung to remove every options and toggles. Let them manufacturer decide whats best for the users then!

If you have nothing nice to say, stay quiet.