READ THIS BEFORE ROOTING DEVICE
- Any of below said method to root will trip knox and void warranty forever.
- Root process needs wipe data so make backup of important data (including Internal Device storage) before proceed.
- As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help. (hope in future we can get it working on tripped knox device). Also you may not able to run some banking apps, but for that there are some workaround like Magisk Hide or SU hide, google it.
- OTA likely won't work once you root device.
- To unroot device completely, simply flash Samsung stock firmware, Remember, Unrooting won't revokes warranty nor you will be able to use Secure folder/Samsung Pay. Once rooted, these feature gone for you unless some magic happen in future and may find a way to use it.
Since Note8 samsung have introduced OEM unlock control remotely and flashing any custom binary removes OEM unlock option and rebooting in this state it ends with custom binary error and have to flash stock firmware. OEM patch will retain OEM unlock option in spite of having custom recovery. If you are not sure your device have OEM issue then there is nothing wrong to use 'OEM patch' option.
If you don't have OEM unlock option out of box then it may appear after 7 days, before this nothing can be done. Also this suggest, you have OEM affected device.
1.Enable Developer Option (settings - about phone - Software information - Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu)
2.Enable OEM Unlock from developer option (Currently no workaround for those who doesn't have this option)
3.Download and copy G965F_root_OEM_issue_devices_V* .zip to Ext SD card
4.Download TWRP for S9+
5.Switch Off device
6.Press Vol down + Bixby + Power to reboot to download mode, press volume up when asked to continue to download mode
7.Download Odin and open it, Disable 'Auto reboot' from option menu of Odin
8.Select TWRP (tar image) with AP tab of Odin and Start
9.Once Successfully flashed, you will see 'Passed' in Odin tab
10.Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP
11.Select to allow modification
12.From TWRP, Select WIPE menu - Then FORMAT DATA - You need to type 'yes' to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Int SD storage from device
13.Once format device completes, go back and select REBOOT' Menu and then - 'RECOVERY', This will reboot to TWRP again
14.Now select Install and navigate path to Ext SD card - N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip, you have copied earlier, select desired root method and select 'OEM Patch' option if your device have OEM issue. If you are not sure about this then better select 'OEM Patch', this will prevent losing OEM unlock option and so prevent 'custom binary error'
15. Select one of rooting method in aroma (superSu/Magisk)
16. For SuperSU to work select kernel option (patch stock kernel)
17.Once flash successfully finish, Reboot to System
If you have selected Magisk then Magisk app may appear in drawer after one reboot.
Open settings - Developer option - Look for OEM Unlock option. If it is there, it is safe to reboot device.
Credits and Thanks goes to BlackMesa123 for this post for OEM patch script. tkkg1994 for pre patched dm-variety stock kernel
Don't Select patched kernel in aroma if you want to use Magisk as root method
Magisk may appear after one reboot
Update (05Aug18) :
Script updated to V5
Added support to root with magisk ,
Here Note 8 EFS backup tool is fully compatible with S9+