[08.01.19][Guide] ROOT S9+(Exynos)Magisk + OEM fix + EFS Backup Tool

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Here is script for Root + OEM Fix for S9+

READ THIS BEFORE ROOTING DEVICE

- Any of below said method to root will trip knox and void warranty forever.
- Root process needs wipe data so make backup of important data (including Internal Device storage) before proceed.
- As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help. (hope in future we can get it working on tripped knox device). Also you may not able to run some banking apps, but for that there are some workaround like Magisk Hide or SU hide, google it.
- OTA likely won't work once you root device.
- To unroot device completely, simply flash Samsung stock firmware, Remember, Unrooting won't revokes warranty nor you will be able to use Secure folder/Samsung Pay. Once rooted, these feature gone for you unless some magic happen in future and may find a way to use it.

What is OEM fix?
Since Note8 samsung have introduced OEM unlock control remotely and flashing any custom binary removes OEM unlock option and rebooting in this state it ends with custom binary error and have to flash stock firmware. OEM patch will retain OEM unlock option in spite of having custom recovery. If you are not sure your device have OEM issue then there is nothing wrong to use 'OEM patch' option.

If you don't have OEM unlock option out of box then it may appear after 7 days, before this nothing can be done. Also this suggest, you have OEM affected device.

How to Root device

1.Enable Developer Option (settings - about phone - Software information - Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu)
2.Enable OEM Unlock from developer option (Currently no workaround for those who doesn't have this option)
3.Download and copy G96*_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V*.zip to Ext SD card (There is different files for Oreo & Pie according device)
4.Download TWRP for S9+
5.Switch Off device
6.Press Vol down + Bixby + Power to reboot to download mode, press volume up when asked to continue to download mode
7.Download Odin and open it, Disable 'Auto reboot' from option menu of Odin
8.Select TWRP (tar image) with AP tab of Odin and Start
9.Once Successfully flashed, you will see 'Passed' in Odin tab
10.Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP
11.Select to allow modification
12.From TWRP, Select WIPE menu - Then FORMAT DATA - You need to type 'yes' to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Int SD storage from device
13.Once format device completes, go back and select REBOOT' Menu and then - 'RECOVERY', This will reboot to TWRP again

14A (If you are ion Pie).
Now select Install and navigate path to Ext SD card - N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip, you have copied earlier, select desired root method and select 'OEM Patch' option if your device have OEM issue. If you are not sure about this then better select 'OEM Patch', this will prevent losing OEM unlock option and so prevent 'custom binary error'
OR
14B (If you are on Q)

Flash Latest magisk & then DM-VERITY, FORCED ENCRYPTION, AND DISC QUOTA DISABLER

15.Once flash successfully finish, Reboot to System

Important Note for Pie OS -
1.You may find OEM option disabled after root by above method, Even if you enable and reboot, again it will be disabled. This is because of kernel is patched while rooting device to prevent binary errors. So ignore this OEM status as it is.
2.Magisk app may not be there in drawer. Simply Download Magisk app for Pie attached here and Install as regular apk.

Root device with Q

Flash Latest magisk & then DM-VERITY, FORCED ENCRYPTION, AND DISC QUOTA DISABLER

Credits and Thanks goes to BlackMesa123 for this post for OEM patch script. tkkg1994 for pre patched dm-variety stock kernel

IMPORTANT :
1.Magisk may appear after one reboot
2.When you select OEM Patch + Root method in aroma, YOU DON'T NEED TO FLASH ANY EXTRA ZIP like dm-verity or RMM fix etc This tool have evrything in one go.

Update (8Jan19)
- Added support for S9+ Pie with Kernel patching for OEM Fix

Update (25Oct18)
Separate fies for S9 & S9+
Kernel level patch for OEM Issue
No more flashing kernel

Update (05Aug18) :
Script updated to V5
Added support to root with magisk ,
Update 24Sept18
Fixed possible issue with RMM
Magisk updated to 17.2
Removed SuperSu support
Universal with Note9

EFS Backup

Here Note 8 EFS backup tool is fully compatible with S9+

Attachments

• magisk_for_pie.apk
    2.1 MB · Views: 9,738
Last edited:

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
so i tried the method above and got the RED "only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"
phone wont boot up... any support is appreciated.

I also tried to resinstall TWRP through ODIN and it keeps failing.
Have you selected oem patch option in aroma?
Tell what exact steps you followed

PG101

RC-RT Liaison Admin - Devil's Advocate
Staff member
Aug 12, 2008
Am waiting for magisk to be fixed and then I'm all Root :cowboy:

Does one needs to format data during the process?

codekaran

Jul 8, 2015
Thane
Tried this method. Was able to flash recovery successfully and install the zip but after clicking reboot to system, it won't boot the phone

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is script for Root + OEM Fix for S9+

READ THIS BEFORE ROOTING DEVICE

- Any of below said method to root will trip knox and void warranty forever.
    - Root process needs wipe data so make backup of important data (including Internal Device storage) before proceed.
    - As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help. (hope in future we can get it working on tripped knox device). Also you may not able to run some banking apps, but for that there are some workaround like Magisk Hide or SU hide, google it.
    - OTA likely won't work once you root device.
    - To unroot device completely, simply flash Samsung stock firmware, Remember, Unrooting won't revokes warranty nor you will be able to use Secure folder/Samsung Pay. Once rooted, these feature gone for you unless some magic happen in future and may find a way to use it.

What is OEM fix?
    Since Note8 samsung have introduced OEM unlock control remotely and flashing any custom binary removes OEM unlock option and rebooting in this state it ends with custom binary error and have to flash stock firmware. OEM patch will retain OEM unlock option in spite of having custom recovery. If you are not sure your device have OEM issue then there is nothing wrong to use 'OEM patch' option.

If you don't have OEM unlock option out of box then it may appear after 7 days, before this nothing can be done. Also this suggest, you have OEM affected device.

How to Root device

1.Enable Developer Option (settings - about phone - Software information - Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu)
    2.Enable OEM Unlock from developer option (Currently no workaround for those who doesn't have this option)
    3.Download and copy G96*_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices_V*.zip to Ext SD card (There is different files for Oreo & Pie according device)
    4.Download TWRP for S9+
    5.Switch Off device
    6.Press Vol down + Bixby + Power to reboot to download mode, press volume up when asked to continue to download mode
    7.Download Odin and open it, Disable 'Auto reboot' from option menu of Odin
    8.Select TWRP (tar image) with AP tab of Odin and Start
    9.Once Successfully flashed, you will see 'Passed' in Odin tab
    10.Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP
    11.Select to allow modification
    12.From TWRP, Select WIPE menu - Then FORMAT DATA - You need to type 'yes' to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Int SD storage from device
    13.Once format device completes, go back and select REBOOT' Menu and then - 'RECOVERY', This will reboot to TWRP again

14A (If you are ion Pie).
    Now select Install and navigate path to Ext SD card - N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip, you have copied earlier, select desired root method and select 'OEM Patch' option if your device have OEM issue. If you are not sure about this then better select 'OEM Patch', this will prevent losing OEM unlock option and so prevent 'custom binary error'
    OR
    14B (If you are on Q)

15.Once flash successfully finish, Reboot to System

Important Note for Pie OS -
    1.You may find OEM option disabled after root by above method, Even if you enable and reboot, again it will be disabled. This is because of kernel is patched while rooting device to prevent binary errors. So ignore this OEM status as it is.
    2.Magisk app may not be there in drawer. Simply Download Magisk app for Pie attached here and Install as regular apk.

Root device with Q

Credits and Thanks goes to BlackMesa123 for this post for OEM patch script. tkkg1994 for pre patched dm-variety stock kernel

IMPORTANT :
    1.Magisk may appear after one reboot
    2.When you select OEM Patch + Root method in aroma, YOU DON'T NEED TO FLASH ANY EXTRA ZIP like dm-verity or RMM fix etc This tool have evrything in one go.

Update (8Jan19)
    - Added support for S9+ Pie with Kernel patching for OEM Fix

Update (25Oct18)
    Separate fies for S9 & S9+
    Kernel level patch for OEM Issue
    No more flashing kernel

Update (05Aug18) :
    Script updated to V5
    Added support to root with magisk ,
    Update 24Sept18
    Fixed possible issue with RMM
    Magisk updated to 17.2
    Removed SuperSu support
    Universal with Note9

EFS Backup

Here Note 8 EFS backup tool is fully compatible with S9+

Nice.. you bringing a custom rom to S9+?
    Not decided yet. Never bought S series device since Note1. If I will buy S9+ then surely start development
    V5 for Pie added
    ChangeLog :
    - Added support for S9+ (G965) PIE
    - Updated Magisk to latest stable V18
    - No more option for 'No root' as it won't serve any purpose and wrongly selected case it will cause bootloop.
    Yes the zip above works.

As for root - a version of Magisk 16.3 also works. I do not have the zip, as I flashed Soldier's ROM that has it as an Aroma option. Also that rom, like the DevBase, lock the 3 troubling Samsung s__t also.

I ended up installing Soldier's excellent stock+ ROM in the end.

I appear to have been very lucky with my particular S9+. Installing it has been much easier than anticipated, given the reading I had done prior to the device's arrival 2 days ago.

OEM Unlock was available as soon as I enabled Developer Options after unpacking the device and turning it on. I toggled it, accepted the factory reset, and when I booted into download mode, both OEM Lock and FRP Lock were off, and there was no mention of RMM. (I've noted this before, but I'm just recapping, because I can finish the whole installation story now).

I then installed TWRP according to the procedure outlined in the device's TWRP thread, i.e. including the no DM verity/no encryption patch.

Then, I spent a full day researching which root method to use, because there's currently a lot of contradictory information circulating regarding which methods work and which don't. For every possible combination of phone state + stock/custom firmware + stock/custom kernel + various ZIP files to be flashed to aid rooting, there are people who claim that this particular combination worked for them, and others who say that it didn't, and in many cases landed them (back) in frustrating 7 day lock status. Usually, rooting is quite trivial, but there are a million variables in the case of the S9+.

I usually run stock ROMs on my Samsung devices, rooted with SuperSU, but there were just too many reports of SuperSU behaving very erratically. In addition, SuperSU development has stagnated since Chainfire retired from the project, so I was already pondering the wisdom of continuing to use it.

In the end, Soldier's ROM seemed like the simplest solution. It's very close to stock, but has all of the anti-Samsung sanity preservation patches built in. I went with the custom kernel installation option, and rooted with Magisk this time instead of SuperSU.

The device is now working like a charm. TWRP + root (inc. passing SafetyNet) + no waiting for OEM Unlock to appear. I can't believe the misery I've been spared, compared to some others.

It's taken me 2 days to root it, because I've ploughed through close to 100 pages of XDA threads today. If I hadn't had to do that, I could have been rooted within an hour of opening the box.

I just don't understand why there is so much variation in how these devices behave out of the box. Some people have OEM Lock straight away, but others must wait a week. Some people can toggle the setting without a factory reset, but others can't. Some people who perform that reset are then faced with prenormal RMM status, while others aren't.

One thing that might be significant in my case is that I never logged into a single account on the phone until the device was running Soldier's ROM and fully rooted. Nor did I install a SIM card in the device. In fact, it has still never had a SIM card in the tray even now. I'll move my SIM card over from my S8+ tomorrow, once I've got the phone fully configured and all of my apps restored from back-up.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a concrete story of how painless the installation of this particular device can be. I just hope that mine doesn't now start to exhibit random weirdness in the coming days.
    No mean to hurry but is there any ETA ?

I uploaded V4 now which have option to flash RMM stat patched kernel for S9+ user
    Any S9+ users want to try this option, Download V4 (Link in OP) From TWRP flash V4 - select OEM patch + Select Patched kernel for S9+ + select magisk (must else device won't boot)

Here some confusion there as there may not be OEM available because of kernel patch but should be safe to reboot. (No guarantee!)