FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: Do you want root?

Yes!
 
56 Vote(s)
66.67%
No, dont care.
 
27 Vote(s)
32.14%
WTF is root?
 
1 Vote(s)
1.19%

[POLL / Discussion] Do you want Root?

28,550 posts
Thanks Meter: 66,110
 
By Scott, Recognized Developer on 30th April 2018, 11:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone. I decided to start this thread so we would have a new outlet to discuss root, not having it, and anything else that pertains to rooting the US Snapdragon variant (or any locked bootloader Snapdragon for that matter).


I for one do like root on Samsung devices. I feel that the services, logging, etc that Samsung puts on these phones is at best excessive, at worst, a violation of privacy. I use root o disable these services and anything that I don't believes warrants running in the background.

I also like to use host level ad blocking which can only be done with root (AFAIK).


So, the poll asks the question...

Do you want root?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
30th April 2018, 11:16 PM |#2  
Scott's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,110
 
Donate to Me
More
Feel free to discuss anything root related in this thread.

Please be respectful of others opinions!
1st May 2018, 12:33 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I personally love flashing custom roms on my android devices and that's the main reason I want root on this device. There was a thread before but it got locked, apparently we only have like 1 person working on root and that was then - don't know if that has since changed. I personally don't know much about the process and don't even know where to begin learning how to accomplish something like this. I offered help before but was quickly informed there was nothing I can do to "help" without vast amounts of this type of knowledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kcrick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kcrick Ad-Free
1st May 2018, 02:11 AM |#5  
Scott's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,110
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215Aphillyated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vq5...w?usp=drivesdk

Can this be related to any type of exploit for root?

"Google Drive
You need permission


Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more

You are signed in as scott...."



Can you make the document public?
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2018, 02:12 AM |#6  
Scott's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,110
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcrick

I personally love flashing custom roms on my android devices and that's the main reason I want root on this device. There was a thread before but it got locked, apparently we only have like 1 person working on root and that was then - don't know if that has since changed. I personally don't know much about the process and don't even know where to begin learning how to accomplish something like this. I offered help before but was quickly informed there was nothing I can do to "help" without vast amounts of this type of knowledge.

Yeah, I would really like to build a ROM. Its been couple years and I got that itch to optimize my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2018, 09:10 AM |#7  
storm68's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 540
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

Yeah, I would really like to build a ROM. Its been couple years and I got that itch to optimize my phone.

Since your a recognized developer you just might be the person we need. If you have the time that is. I wasn't really into rooting this phone but now I have the itch too. Lol
1st May 2018, 10:07 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 195
 
More
Nope, the only reason I used to root on all my phones was to get rid of the ads. Now with apps available to do the same, I don't feel the need to root.
1st May 2018, 02:44 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
More
I want root for xposed and/or magisk.
Otherwise to disable packages I use adhell 3 (no root needed) as I don't want to trip Knox yet...

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I want root for xposed and/or magisk.
Otherwise to disable packages I use adhell 3 (no root needed) as I don't want to trip Knox yet...
1st May 2018, 05:51 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Yes... I want to have control over the device. for privacy, customization, optimization, TWRP/Titanium backups, remove silly warnings, extend device life post mfg support, etc
Imagine buying a car and not being able to open up the hood........................................ total BS........
1st May 2018, 06:31 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndDoc

Nope, the only reason I used to root on all my phones was to get rid of the ads. Now with apps available to do the same, I don't feel the need to root.

This is the main reason I want to root my phone, do you mind mentioning which apps you're using to block ads at the host file level?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes