Download official G965USQS4CSC8 (carrier) and G965U1UEU4CSC7 (unlocked) firmware for the SM-G965U and SM-G965U1 here. You can flash either onto a SM-G965U or SM-G965U1 using the patched Odin linked below. Flashing back and forth is safe because they are both on bootloader version 4.
Carrier SM-G965U 04-01-19 (CSC8)
Unlocked SM-G965U1 03-01-19 (CSC7)
A lot of people think this is carrier bloat only. However, userdata also contains the files necessary to activate carrier specific features. Without it, you may not be able utilize all of the carrier features that the phone is capable of providing. Please note that carrier userdata may not be available for your carrier.
Drawbacks of flashing carrier version G965USQS4CSC8 firmware on the unlocked phone (SM-G965U1):
- CallerID no longer works unless you subscribe to carriers CallerID service.
- Installs carrier bloat.
Benefits of flashing carrier version G965USQS4CSC8 firmware on the unlocked version phone (SM-G965U1):
- Will enable all carrier specific features (video calling, etc, etc).
Drawbacks of flashing unlocked version G965U1UEU4CSC7 firmware on the carrier version phone (SM-G965U):
- Will disable all carrier specific features (video calling, etc, etc).
Benefits of flashing unlocked version G965U1UEU4CSC7 firmware on the carrier version phone (SM-G965U):
- CallerID works without subscribing to carriers CallerID service.
- Eliminates carrier bloat.
Reboot to download mode:
- Power off your Galaxy S9 Plus completely until it vibrates.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons when you see the warning message.
- Now just press Volume up button to continue.
- Congratulations, you're now in download mode.
- Start the patched Odin 3.13.1 that you downloaded from the provided link.
- Plug the cord your phone came with into your phone and PC. Other cords may not work.
- The Odin log will display a <ID:0/005> Added!! message once it connects.
- First, extract the compressed firmware to a folder on your PC.
- In Odin, begin with the BL (bootloader) box, navigate to the firmware folder and select the file beginning with BL_.
- Wait for each file to initialize and appear to the right of its corresponding box before attempting to proceed to the next step.
- Now select the AP (Application Processor aka System) box, it should open the correct folder, then select the file beginning with AP_.
- AP takes a while to initialize, don't worry.
- Now select the CP (Core Processor aka modem) box, then select the file beginning with CP_.
- Now select the CSC (Consumer Software Customization aka Carrier Settings) box, then select the file beginning with CSC_.
- Choose HOME_CSC to not wipe your phone, or CSC_ (preferred option when switching between unlocked and carrier versions) to wipe your phone .
- Optionally, select the userdata (User Data) box, then select the file beginning with USERDATA_.
- Now, click start and wait for the magic.
- Disconnect the cord when the phone reboots.
- The phone should boot to recovery to automatically cleanup, then reboot again.