FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A word of caution

224 posts
Thanks Meter: 43

By cmmx, Senior Member on 10th September 2019, 09:25 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Like many here, I bought a "foreign" phone.

Like some, it needed repair.

Unlike most(?), I just found out that you can't have your phone (oficially) repaired outside of its intended market. You just can't.

This, regardless of whether the parts you need are market specific or not, or whether the phone is under warranty or not.

It's simply just not possible, and it's not even up to the good will of the repair center.

And if you're thinking "it's ok, I'll just send it to wherever it came from, pay whatever shipping fees and go through any customs import/export hassle, and be cool about it", well...

I've got news for you:

You still can't. As I've been told by their online support, you simply just can't do that, either; you'll have to have someone to send it to, so that they then can send it for repair on their own. That's the only way you can have it repaired abroad.

So, good luck if you're travelling, half way across the world, and need your phone repaired asap.

This is how things work smack in the middle of the XXI century, with the leading brand in the world, as well as with every other brands. Except for...

Apple.

So, bottom line is diss Apple all you want for whatever reason, but the fact is, at least on this particular, it seems it's the only brand with a minimally acceptable customer support policy for these days and age.

Wonder how many of you are aware of this.

Think XDA should address this issue and raise awareness with an article?
10th September 2019, 10:58 PM |#2  
RC-RT Committee / Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thanks Meter: 57,458

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmx

Like many here, I bought a "foreign" phone.

Like some, it needed repair.

Unlike most(?), I just found out that you can't have your phone (oficially) repaired outside of its intended market. You just can't.

This, regardless of whether the parts you need are market specific or not, or whether the phone is under warranty or not.

It's simply just not possible, and it's not even up to the good will of the repair center.

And if you're thinking "it's ok, I'll just send it to wherever it came from, pay whatever shipping fees and go through any customs import/export hassle, and be cool about it", well...

I've got news for you:

You still can't. As I've been told by their online support, you simply just can't do that, either; you'll have to have someone to send it to, so that they then can send it for repair on their own. That's the only way you can have it repaired abroad.

So, good luck if you're travelling, half way across the world, and need your phone repaired asap.

This is how things work smack in the middle of the XXI century, with the leading brand in the world, as well as with every other brands. Except for...

Apple.

So, bottom line is diss Apple all you want for whatever reason, but the fact is, at least on this particular, it seems it's the only brand with a minimally acceptable customer support policy for these days and age.

Wonder how many of you are aware of this.

Think XDA should address this issue and raise awareness with an article?

Understood all, but how is it XDA issue, XDA doesn't monitor where, how or who, Members purchase from or where to get your devices repaired.

This is solely on the Users/Members. If others are in this situation, doing their own homework on the type of device they purchase i.e. if repairs are needed or where to get repairs or the type of development, that is solely on them.

Again, I see and understand your thought, but XDA doesnt play a part of what kind of devices Members get and where to get them repaired.
10th September 2019, 11:23 PM |#3  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I believe you can claim warranty/repair in another country within Europe only.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
11th September 2019, 05:26 PM |#4  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
Apple does have the same issue if you don't have an apple store in your country... I live in Argentina and Apple request you send personally the phone to some apple store in other countries... you cannot just ship it to them.

Sent from S.G. S9 Plus Duos using Tapatalk
11th September 2019, 08:43 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle

Understood all, but how is it XDA issue, XDA doesn't monitor where, how or who, Members purchase from or where to get your devices repaired.

This is solely on the Users/Members. If others are in this situation, doing their own homework on the type of device they purchase i.e. if repairs are needed or where to get repairs or the type of development, that is solely on them.

Again, I see and understand your thought, but XDA doesnt play a part of what kind of devices Members get and where to get them repaired.

Who said it's a xda issue?

I just said you could write an article about it, because I bet most people, even here, have no idea about it, until it's too late, even when they're tech savvy as myself.

You know, like I said, to raise awareness, specially nowadays, when buying online is so prevalent and you may not even have an idea where the phone came from or was intended for.

But hey, who cares, right?...

Some community standards...
11th September 2019, 08:49 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruk07

I believe you can claim warranty/repair in another country within Europe only.

You believe wrongly; if it's a grey import, it's the seller's responsibility (if you're lucky enough), not the manufacturer.
11th September 2019, 09:07 PM |#7  
RC-RT Committee / Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Who said it's a xda issue?

I just said you could write an article about it, because I bet most people, even here, have no idea about it, until it's too late, even when they're tech savvy as myself.

You know, like I said, to raise awareness, specially nowadays, when buying online is so prevalent and you may not even have an idea where the phone came from or was intended for.

But hey, who cares, right?...

Well you said it was an issue, but for the buyer. Again, it falls on the buyer, be smart.

Quote:

You believe wrongly; if it's a grey import, it's the seller's responsibility (if you're lucky enough), not the manufacturer.

Again it's the buyer, who needs to know by doing his homework on the device he plans on getting.

Sent from my star2qltesq using XDA Labs
11th September 2019, 10:05 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Haha, what a joke you are...

Might as well close up shop and call it a day, then, since abso****inglutely anything you could write phone (or anything else, ftm) related, could as well be said as being "up to the buyers"...

Yep, such community; much use; very information. wow...

Go bo back to your sleep, then, and sorry to have "bothered" you... not.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmmx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmmx Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 08:58 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Well, guess snowflakes are hurt...

Time to call it...
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Castle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Frank Castle Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread