FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Photo quality

975 posts
Thanks Meter: 898

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 26th February 2018, 06:30 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy S9+ come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

9th March 2018, 08:03 PM |#2  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 135

More
So far so good. Pictures do look pretty near-term however they're not perfect by a long shot.

Admittedly I've been spoilt as I was using a pixel 2 before this, and low light images were a lot sharper, but not as well lot as the s9.

I think there can be a lot of improvement between the 1.5/2.4 aperture settings in regards to software tweaks.

Another thing I'd like to see is a much better portrait mode. Images look so soft and lack finer details. Compared to my pixel 2... well there really isn't a comparison at this point.

One thing I've noticed samsung cameras always do, is brighten up the face of the person in the photo. If you've got brown skin colour it tends to make them look too pale. I've seen reviewers say it can make the person almost look a bit ill! This happened on my note 8 also, and knowing what I know about South East Asian culture, it wouldn't surprise me if this was as intended as South East Asians do like to look paler, using cosmetics, filters or skin bleaching. So is the pale face as intended?

Anyhow, I'd say the camera has huge potential. Samsung just needs to do a lot of tweaking as irrefutable all the right hardware is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to sstanton86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sstanton86 Ad-Free
11th March 2018, 04:36 PM |#3  
Flag Salford
Thanks Meter: 128

More
A few shots from walkabout today, all on auto

x2

Indoors

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shipoftheline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shipoftheline Ad-Free
12th March 2018, 04:32 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipoftheline

A few shots from walkabout today, all on auto

x2

Indoors

Yes, photo quality is good.
13th March 2018, 01:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
If I should be honnest, I expected a little bit better camera quality when I saw DX score and more....But now when I compare photos from S9+ to my note8, the colors looks a lot more faded, the most noticeable is in interior...Hmm I hope that update will fix it (Exynos version). What do you think?

I made compare video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADd5DvVoKM
S9+ https://ibb.co/bwd3cn
Note8 https://ibb.co/jtxwxn
13th March 2018, 08:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
best
There is no doubt on it overcomes iPhone. Great quality. Anyone should get it right now
The Following User Says Thank You to juke8890 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift juke8890 Ad-Free
15th March 2018, 12:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
I have shaky hands, and on Auto it's almost like there's no OIS. I get a lot of motion blur on things or blur in general. Sports mode fixes it, but it's really disappointing.
15th March 2018, 06:37 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottricketts

I have shaky hands, and on Auto it's almost like there's no OIS. I get a lot of motion blur on things or blur in general. Sports mode fixes it, but it's really disappointing.

What kind of lighting were you shooting in?
15th March 2018, 11:08 AM |#9  
Flag Salford
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Not impressed with the auto 2.4 to 1.5 aperture here in the UK at least, it doesn’t seem to understand what low light is

This photo is on 'auto'

And below where I had it manually set to 1.5
15th March 2018, 12:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokorth

What kind of lighting were you shooting in?

Normal daylight. Should have been a cinch.
15th March 2018, 05:05 PM |#11  
Flag Boca Raton, FL
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipoftheline

Not impressed with the auto 2.4 to 1.5 aperture here in the UK at least, it doesn’t seem to understand what low light is

This photo is on 'auto'

And below where I had it manually set to 1.5

The auto picture has a better dynamic range. Look at the window and you can see pictures outside but their airplane is a little dark
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)