FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] AMOLED PWMfree

1,089 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,808

By Wootever, Senior Member on 8th February 2019, 10:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Summary:
  • A simple application that uses a transparent overlay to dim the device brightness, effectively removing PWM.
  • Download PWMfree

More Information:
Default brightness control:

PWMfree brightness control:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wootever For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wootever Ad-Free
8th February 2019, 12:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 354

More
Thanks, runs on my S9 on AOSP 8.1. Affects auto-brightness a bit but seems to work as intended. Great work!
The Following User Says Thank You to NisseGurra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NisseGurra Ad-Free
GuestK00195
8th February 2019, 12:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Wrong section man
9th February 2019, 10:50 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Can someone explain to me what this app on s9 does?
10th February 2019, 10:51 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
@amakuramio
Not sure why the installation is prevented.
The application itself just creates an accessibility overlay and changes the permission for /sys/class/backlight/panel/brightness to prevent access from liblights.

Edit:
Seems like this is the common behaviour for non-playstore apps: disable Google Play Protect
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wootever For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wootever Ad-Free
11th February 2019, 11:39 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The brightness does not change while sliding the slider, only after releasing the slider. Please fix, thx.
11th February 2019, 01:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Can this work on other models (like my Galaxy A3 2017 AMOLED) ?
11th February 2019, 05:23 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vratnik

The brightness does not change while sliding the slider, only after releasing the slider. Please fix, thx.

Unfortunately not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victo24dord

Can this work on other models (like my Galaxy A3 2017 AMOLED) ?

The overlay itself should work on every device, only the brightness slider override that requires root is device dependent.
But this isn't particularly well-working, i will probably ditch this override and just add a widget slider so it can be used without root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wootever For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wootever Ad-Free
11th February 2019, 09:06 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
So is this root only? Cause I saw my screen change brightness immediately after turning accessibility access on, and I'm not rooted, stock rom.
11th February 2019, 09:29 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
@qb74
Root permission is used to prevent liblights (android system brightness handler) from accessing the kernel brightness path (/sys/class/backlight/panel/brightness).
The brightness slider on the notification bar then only modifies the transparency of the accessibility overlay, not the display (kernel) brightness.

Without root permission it controls both the overlay and kernel brightness, but this prevents the pwmfree usage as the kernel brightness needs to be at 100% to avoid pwm dimming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wootever For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wootever Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)