FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Should I buy a SM-G9650 (Snapdragon) in Europe?

207 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By cmmx, Senior Member on 17th June 2019, 01:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Phone is from Brazil (128gb dual sim) and supported network bands are the same, less band 32 (meh; no one seems to use it), plus cdma (also meh; not planning to move across), so, technically speaking, it's really all pluses and no minuses. It also has fm radio, which apparently other versions don't have(?).

But, after reading around a bit, Samsung seems extremely hostile, even aggressively so, towards owners err... "users" and any attempts to exert actual ownership of their devices, so transplanting a phone to a different environment than what it's been tailored for, may be more risky than rewarding, specially when there's plenty other fish in the pond that aren't so eagerly looking to bite the hand that feeds them.

I can live with the disadvantages listed above (sorry, this post was meant to go in another thread but somehow ended up in here; the disadvantages are no volte, lte+, wifi calling, samsung pay, and slower updates), and am really interested in call recording, camera (cam2 support), sound (mainly for headphones) and screen quality (color accuracy, gamut), also usb otg.

My goal is to root it, not to install customs roms atm, but to use any app that requires it, and clean up and customize what's possible and needed in the rom, then hopefully live happily ever after...

My main concern is really Samsung's antics.

17th June 2019, 05:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I live in Brazil and i have this exact model. I use mostly Claro`s LTE and no VOLTE, wifi calling, etc... just ~normal~ calls
What i can tell you about it is it`s an amazing phone as you have probably seen in the reviews but it`s better now because of ONE UI.
In my case i`ve never been really up to samsung software and thats why i`ve never had one prior to this one, it had always been about choosing a phone with good hardware and installing LOS
But with ONE UI and a launcher of choice you can get a pretty clean and functional stock android experience. IT is also the first phone that i didn`t root because i haven`t really needed it so far, the only thing i miss about it is adaway at the moment but DNS66 does the job.
What i mentioned above stands for sd and exynos versions.
The benefits of getting the snapdragon version are. better performance,better battery life and since sd 845 is a common chip on high end devices, it is easier to find a good gcam port to take advantage of this phone`s great camera
The Following User Says Thank You to guibyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guibyn Ad-Free
17th June 2019, 10:34 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Oneplus doesn't have sdcard or phone jack, which I forgot to add to my list.
Also, does the s9 support call recording? I've read people were having problems with it, even with third party apps.
Edit: I was leaning more towards the Zenfone, maybe possibly the ROG2, depending.
18th June 2019, 04:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I`ve never used call recording (didn`t even know this feature existed lol) but it appears a lot of people are running it within ONE UI so that should work if you need it.

About the audio, i don`t know much about other flagship models, but what i can say from my experience with the s9+ is.

First of all, it supports normal(P2) headphones lol
But seriously, the audio quality through the headphone jack is really good and so is the volume output, i should say it`s the best one i`ve had so far. I tested it using the akg buds that come with the phone. They are awesome btw
Also, wireless audio is good too but i guess that shouldn`t be surprising in any phone
About software, samsung offers a really good equalizer and some effects like tube amp but the best part about it is dolby atmos and it`s presets. It offers good enough customization so that you don`t actually need viper4android or any third party apps, the presets are pretty good too if you want to save time.

There are other 2 unique features, bixby and a bixby button (a real button on the side) and they are by far the worst part of this phone. but samsung acknowledged it so you can remap the button to another function and almost disable bixby
22nd June 2019, 05:21 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Well, wish me luck; just bought one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
europe, sm-g9650

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)