FORUMS

Netflix is super dark on S9

148 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By jsomby, Senior Member on 29th January 2019, 06:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Okay, im losing my mind with this problem. Watching videos on new S9 (Pie) on netflix is so dark i barely can see anything happening around. I have changed adaptive display, video enhancer but they do little or not anything at all. While Netflix is dark af Youtube on the other hand works perfectly fine regular and HDR content and yes, i have the 'best' netflix plan.

Comparison against ip8+: https://i.imgur.com/TNhg6WQ.jpg

Using search bar i can see what is happening but during playback no: https://i.imgur.com/azR7fGa.jpg

Any ideas? Has this been this bad whole year?
The Following User Says Thank You to jsomby For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jsomby Ad-Free
29th January 2019, 06:56 PM |#2  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,729

Donate to Me
More
Tried an older version of the Netflix app ?
The Following User Says Thank You to *Detection* For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift *Detection* Ad-Free
29th January 2019, 07:01 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection*

Tried an older version of the Netflix app ?

I have not but i tried subscribing into beta version and it did not solve this. Is there easy way to do that or should i just download some random apk from somewhere?

Okay found it from apkmirror, will try now.
29th January 2019, 07:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Tested on three different version. One from mid december and one from november. Third one was so old (from march) that it directly said i need to update my Netflix app in order to proceed.

No luck with these, same problem persists.
29th January 2019, 07:20 PM |#5  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,729

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsomby

Tested on three different version. One from mid december and one from november. Third one was so old (from march) that it directly said i need to update my Netflix app in order to proceed.

No luck with these, same problem persists.

Says they are currently investigating the bug
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/100220
The Following User Says Thank You to *Detection* For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift *Detection* Ad-Free
29th January 2019, 07:23 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection*

Says they are currently investigating the bug
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/100220

I saw the same thing but that feels like generic notification or old. Could have been there for months.

I try to contact the chat support if i get anything out of there and post the info back here. I use netflix daily (talk about addiction) and i cant live with this issue
30th January 2019, 07:42 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Okay, problem was my settings or viewing habits after all. I had to disable adaptive brightness and pump the brightness quite high which makes using the phone before sleep in bed quite horrible experience but when doing that the issue goes away most of the time. I need to check if changing colors to more yellow tint helps to overcome this new issue i just generated. Maybe i'm to used to use IPS/LCD displays which are bright but not like flashlight into eyes like HDR/Amoled.
4th May 2019, 11:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
In your display settings you have to turn in your AOMLED to Cinema mode when watching movies on Netflix and turn the contrast on high. Best results I've found this far.
13th June 2019, 12:40 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Turn on video enhancer under advanced features. It works! I have a Note 9.
9th August 2019, 08:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Temporary Fix
I was able to view content again that was not too dark to watch by uninstalling latest Netflix app and then installing v4.12.2 from apkmirror.
The Following User Says Thank You to iskidoo2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iskidoo2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)