FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can't update to Android 9.0

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By medbouzid, Junior Member on 14th June 2019, 05:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just bought samsung s9 SM-G960U but can't it won't update to android 9.0 manually ! it says processing failed
I did some researches I found that it's carrier-related . Some solutions suggests that I use odin to update but I can't choose the right firmware !
In fact :
- when I try to check the csc using *#1234# it show g960usqu2are6 ( I think it's Verizon using google)
- when I log on into samsung website and enter my imei . The product info shows that my carrier type is Sprint
- when I check "about phone/service Provider SW " on my phone the first line contains TMB after G960U and the third line is TGY/TGY/TGY

I'm confused but I want to update my s9 to android 9.0 . Help me

14th June 2019, 08:04 PM |#2  
Flag Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks Meter: 362

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by medbouzid

I just bought samsung s9 SM-G960U but can't it won't update to android 9.0 manually ! it says processing failed
I did some researches I found that it's carrier-related . Some solutions suggests that I use odin to update but I can't choose the right firmware !
In fact :
- when I try to check the csc using *#1234# it show g960usqu2are6 ( I think it's Verizon using google)
- when I log on into samsung website and enter my imei . The product info shows that my carrier type is Sprint
- when I check "about phone/service Provider SW " on my phone the first line contains TMB after G960U and the third line is TGY/TGY/TGY

I'm confused but I want to update my s9 to android 9.0 . Help me

get the firmware here

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/...U4CSC7/265795/

get the most recent version of Odin (i didnt source you a link for that)

open Odin on your computer

unzip the package and get your phone into download mode, connecting it to your computer. Allow drivers to install and when Odin recognizes your device by showing a random number in the port field. Then place the files in their corresponding spots in Odin paying attention to which CSC file you use as one factory resets the phone and the other simply applies the update. It is recommended to use the factory reset CSC when changing from different iterations of the Android OS. Press the start button, allow it to full run the firmware push. It will then automagically reboot (yes, automagically), and youre done.
18th June 2019, 05:42 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdoofus

get the firmware here

get the most recent version of Odin (i didnt source you a link for that)

open Odin on your computer

unzip the package and get your phone into download mode, connecting it to your computer. Allow drivers to install and when Odin recognizes your device by showing a random number in the port field. Then place the files in their corresponding spots in Odin paying attention to which CSC file you use as one factory resets the phone and the other simply applies the update. It is recommended to use the factory reset CSC when changing from different iterations of the Android OS. Press the start button, allow it to full run the firmware push. It will then automagically reboot (yes, automagically), and youre done.

I don't live in US or America , is it okay that I use verizon update ? is there any risk that the the phone would be locked or something like that ?
18th June 2019, 09:02 PM |#4  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by medbouzid

I don't live in US or America , is it okay that I use verizon update ? is there any risk that the the phone would be locked or something like that ?

Once a phone is unlocked, it stays that way forever. Firmware has nothing to do with a phone's locked or unlock status.
18th June 2019, 09:15 PM |#5  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,566

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldf

Once a phone is unlocked, it stays that way forever. Firmware has nothing to do with a phone's locked or unlock status.

Depends how it was unlocked, seen a few members flash new firmware and the phone is SIM locked again, these unlock companies must use some modification to the firmware rather than unlocking it properly
18th June 2019, 09:33 PM |#6  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection*

Depends how it was unlocked, seen a few members flash new firmware and the phone is SIM locked again, these unlock companies must use some modification to the firmware rather than unlocking it properly

Good to know. Wasn't aware that a phone could be unlocked with firmware alone. I guess it's a temporary overlay or something that "fakes" being unlocked?
18th June 2019, 10:29 PM |#7  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,566

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldf

Good to know. Wasn't aware that a phone could be unlocked with firmware alone. I guess it's a temporary overlay or something that "fakes" being unlocked?

Yea must be something that emulates the unlock somehow but once reset or flashed it's gone, always seems to be people who have bought the phone second hand unlocked, it has worked fine with their sim until they reset or flash different firmware, then it's locked again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)