FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HowTo] Hide the Navigation & Status Bars on Your Galaxy S9 — No Root Needed

132 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

By Xperience Z, Senior Member on 17th March 2018, 06:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Putting your Galaxy S9 in Immersive Mode lets you truly enjoy the gorgeous display that Samsung is so famous for. You can't have it set on at all times, however, so you'll still have to deal with the status and navigation bars that cut the phone's aspect ratio down to that of a standard phone. But if you're willing to dig a little deeper, there are ways to go full Immersive Mode on your S9 for good.

The good news is the S9 and S9+ now let you hide the navigation bar by double-tapping the tiny circular button on the left side of the navigation bar, giving you more screen space to enjoy content. You're still left with the status bar to deal with, however, and while it's transparent when on the home screen, the status bar will often turn opaque depending on that app you're currently using.

Thankfully, it's possible to hide your Galaxy S9's status bar and go full immersive using a method that's been out for a while. Though the process doesn't require root, you'll need to run an ADB command. Keep reading further if you want to get the most out of your S9's gorgeous display — just be sure to follow the steps exactly as they appear, especially if this is your first time with ADB and Fastboot.

Requirements
Developer options and USB debugging enabled
Windows, Mac, or Linux computer
ADB and Fastboot installed
USB data cable

Step 1 Allow USB Computer Connection
After installing ADB and turning on USB Debugging, connect your Galaxy S9 to your computer with a USB data cable. Next, swipe down from the top of your screen and select the "Android System" notification, then choose "Transfer files" from the popup.

Step 2 Open ADB
Running an ADB command is necessary hide the S9's status bar to keep it on Immersive Mode at all times. Because of this, you'll need to open a Command Prompt or Terminal window in the platform-tools folder inside of your ADB installation directory.

If you downloaded the SDK Tools from Google and did a default installation, go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk folder. If not, go to the folder where you installed ADB, then open the platform-tools folder located inside. Now, hold the shift button on your keyboard, then right-click within the window and choose "Open command window here."

If you have a Mac or Linux machine, open a Terminal window and change directories to the platform-tools folder. Perform a search on your hard drive for "platform-tools" if you don't know where it is, as the folder's exact location can vary depending on where you extracted ADB and Fastboot when the utilities were installed.

Step 3 Input Commands
Now that a connection has been established with the S9 and ADB is up and running, you'll need to type in a single command to hide the status bar at the top of the screen, so enter the following:

Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*

Step 4 Enjoy Full-Time Immersive Mode
Immediately after sending the above command, your status and navigation bars will disappear. At this point, it would be a good idea to restart your phone so that any apps that were previously open can redraw themselves to accommodate the extra screen real estate.
From now on, you'll still be able to access the navigation and status bars on your S9 by swiping in from either the top or bottom of the display, depending on which one you wish to access. The keyboard will still pop out as it normally does whenever you tap on a box that requires text input, and the home button's haptic feedback still remains active, but you'll need to reveal the navigation buttons to access Google Assistant.

Reverting This Mod
If you ever want to bring your S9 back to its stock configuration and re-enable the status bar, simply type in the following command to bring the display back to its original settings:

Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control null*
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xperience Z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xperience Z Ad-Free

18th March 2018, 02:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Does this hide the navigation bar even in home screen?
What if I only want to hide the navigation bar, but not the status bar?
Thanks.
21st March 2018, 02:00 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 35

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethedealer

Does this hide the navigation bar even in home screen?
What if I only want to hide the navigation bar, but not the status bar?
Thanks.

Here you go:

· Hide Status Bar only type:
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*
· Hide Navigation Bar only type:
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=*
· Hide Both Bars type:
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*
+ Immersive in all apps except certain apps
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=apps,-"app location",-"another app location"
+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Status bar not hidden
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"
Ex:
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-com.whatsapp
+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Navigation bar not hidden
Code:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"
Ex:
Code:
 adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-com.whatsapp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xperience Z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xperience Z Ad-Free
29th March 2018, 06:51 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I try to disable the navigation bar on a S9+ and don't work for me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G965F mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to negrata For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift negrata Ad-Free
29th March 2018, 08:51 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
There is a much easier way. Install BxActions and you get the option to press bixby button to enter inmmersive mode. No root needed
4th April 2018, 04:31 PM |#6  
Flag Independence, MO
Thanks Meter: 308

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrata

I try to disable the navigation bar on a S9+ and don't work for me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G965F mediante Tapatalk

I wasn't able to hide it in the first S9 I had and can't hide it on this one either. I can hide the status bar but not the navigation bar. If I use the code to hide both it makes the status bar show but does not hide the navigation bar. I have tried multiple times. When I put in the command for both or even just the navigation bar, it disappears for a micro second like a flash, and then is still there. I have even installed System Ui Tuner and get the same results. It's weird and it's driving me crazy. Was able to hide both just fine with the S8, S8+, and the Note8.
15th May 2018, 09:18 PM |#7  
Flag Independence, MO
Thanks Meter: 308

More
Just another update. I have tried this on 3 different S9's with no lu k. I can only hide the status bar but not the navigation bar. I was able to do it on the S8, S8+, and the Note 8 and on 2 LG V30's. I guess maybe I'm not supposed to have the navigation bar hidden on an S9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180515-151350_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	4502056  
26th May 2018, 07:42 PM |#8  
Flag doha
Thanks Meter: 32

More
To hide nav bar instantly use adb and hide using the command

adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,-120

If not hiding properly then change value 120 and see the difference.

I tried this on my s9 plus and its working.

This code is not found by me instead i got it by googling and searching after long time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using XDA Prem ium HD app
12th June 2018, 06:17 PM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Massive thank you from me. This has made the S9 so much more appealing on the eyes.

Now just need Samsung to pull their finger out and do something about the Navbar below the keyboard while typing. So annoying!
12th June 2018, 07:11 PM |#10  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,234

Donate to Me
More
No way to hide the nav bar on the homescreen yet?

EDIT - Unfortunately hiding the status bar using this command breaks WhatsApp partially, emoticon panel is broken and can't see the top status bar above chat where you see the last seen time of the recipient unless the keyboard is hidden
15th June 2018, 03:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerdewd

Just another update. I have tried this on 3 different S9's with no lu k. I can only hide the status bar but not the navigation bar. I was able to do it on the S8, S8+, and the Note 8 and on 2 LG V30's. I guess maybe I'm not supposed to have the navigation bar hidden on an S9.

It works mate, but on home screen can't hide nav bar, also under keyboard while typing unfortunately.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)