FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

(No progress yet)Root dev for Galaxy S9 Plus SM-G965U (Snapdragon)

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By drakaina, Junior Member on 14th August 2018, 05:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th August 2018, 12:41 PM |#11  
Flag VT
Thanks Meter: 3,808

More
I am making presence known now. I will be watching this closely
Technicly this thread don't even need to exist right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadScientist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMadScientist Ad-Free

16th August 2018, 12:56 PM |#12  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,220

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaina

[B][U]Do not ask for an ETA
First off though, what advancements have been made so far? Several posts I've seen have dead links to data, so to start, I'll need to know what's been done already. No need to reproduce failed outcomes.

Myself and a handful of other people involved in us snapdragon s8/s8+/n8+ took a brief crack at it a little while ago to no avail. I don't want to go into too many details on here as 1) Samsung is watching surely and 2) the contents from the peanut gallery get old quick but here are the cliff notes. Feel free to pm me here or on telegram for more details. (Backstory on me, I created samfail which was the first/only n8 root method and the second for the s8/s8+ and the only published one beyond bootloader v1.

- samfail is 100% patched. No known way to modify system
- you can't mix combo boot with stock images anymore. Samsung got wise to that. Figured out how to track it if we can force write a system image
- there is a ton of new system level security because they had to move out of the boot image due to treble. Probably the first big nail in the coffin I'm.
- don't waste your time on the oem unlock toggle in the combo/factory rom. No it doesn't unlock the bootloader. The us snapdragons don't respect it's value outside of turning off frp, but that was with the s8 idk if it is still true on the s9.
- the other poster is right about the anti root thing. It's in the open source kernel code. If anything being exexuted under uid 0 matches a list of common/known root mods/not stuff that is supposed to be there, instant kernel panic. Things like "binary is called BusyBox" are on that list.

This was the point I gave up. Partially because I don't have the device so testing is extremely difficult (I wised up this year and purchased a intl. Snapdragon sm-g9650 which has full oem unlock just like the exy).

In sure there's things in forgetting right now and again, being too transparent here results in root method bring patched faster, hit me up if you want more brain dump
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to partcyborg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2018, 02:22 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaina

You're continuing to be rude and attempting to derail the point of the thread. Meh, I'm getting back to work since it not good to feed trolls.

Although I have seen a lot worse on these threads, his comment was pretty negative, which is what we do not need in this thread. I wish people would just keep their thoughts to themselves if they have nothing to add to the discussion. I also will test so let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
21st August 2018, 06:22 AM |#14  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 8,121

Donate to Me
More
i also have a g965u and have been trying various mwthods to no avail at this point.. we need new exploits to be found.. all the obvious stuff will not work
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2018, 01:01 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
It is because of this is why I will never buy another Galaxy phone. I need root.
The Following User Says Thank You to zzEvilGeniuszz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zzEvilGeniuszz Ad-Free
30th August 2018, 08:18 AM |#16  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,550

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzEvilGeniuszz

It is because of this is why I will never buy another Galaxy phone. I need root.

Just don't buy snapdragon, the Exynos S9s are unlocked
30th August 2018, 01:56 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection*

Just don't buy snapdragon, the Exynos S9s are unlocked

You cannot buy Exynos from a carrier. You have to buy directly from Samsung for that. I know because I requested a Exynos variant. Sprint said they couldn't (or wouldn't) give me one.
30th August 2018, 03:12 PM |#18  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 2,862

More
edit: nvm not worth it.
30th August 2018, 05:34 PM |#19  
OKC
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzEvilGeniuszz

You cannot buy Exynos from a carrier. You have to buy directly from Samsung for that. I know because I requested a Exynos variant. Sprint said they couldn't (or wouldn't) give me one.

i talked to samsung a couple months ago before i got my s9 and they told me they wont sell you one directly with the Exynos. I was going to get the s8 with the exynos if they would of sold me one. They wouldn'ty so i bought a tmobile s9 with my carrier.
31st August 2018, 01:06 AM |#20  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 8,121

Donate to Me
More
has anyone been able to reboot phone into edl mode?
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st September 2018, 09:03 PM |#21  
Flag VT
Thanks Meter: 3,808

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliwigy

has anyone been able to reboot phone into edl mode?

Lol you never learn
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadScientist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMadScientist Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)