Originally Posted by drakaina
[B][U]Do not ask for an ETA
First off though, what advancements have been made so far? Several posts I've seen have dead links to data, so to start, I'll need to know what's been done already. No need to reproduce failed outcomes.
Myself and a handful of other people involved in us snapdragon s8/s8+/n8+ took a brief crack at it a little while ago to no avail. I don't want to go into too many details on here as 1) Samsung is watching surely and 2) the contents from the peanut gallery get old quick but here are the cliff notes. Feel free to pm me here or on telegram for more details. (Backstory on me, I created samfail which was the first/only n8 root method and the second for the s8/s8+ and the only published one beyond bootloader v1.
- samfail is 100% patched. No known way to modify system
- you can't mix combo boot with stock images anymore. Samsung got wise to that. Figured out how to track it if we can force write a system image
- there is a ton of new system level security because they had to move out of the boot image due to treble. Probably the first big nail in the coffin I'm.
- don't waste your time on the oem unlock toggle in the combo/factory rom. No it doesn't unlock the bootloader. The us snapdragons don't respect it's value outside of turning off frp, but that was with the s8 idk if it is still true on the s9.
- the other poster is right about the anti root thing. It's in the open source kernel code. If anything being exexuted under uid 0 matches a list of common/known root mods/not stuff that is supposed to be there, instant kernel panic. Things like "binary is called BusyBox" are on that list.
This was the point I gave up. Partially because I don't have the device so testing is extremely difficult (I wised up this year and purchased a intl. Snapdragon sm-g9650 which has full oem unlock just like the exy).
In sure there's things in forgetting right now and again, being too transparent here results in root method bring patched faster, hit me up if you want more brain dump