**NOTORIOUS-Kernel** || TW || BRG6 || G96X || 05-08-18 || V103 || ELS based-4.9.117

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
Thanks again @farovitus brings back Noto kernel to S9/S9+ ? using Noto kernel on my S7e until now. And now Noto's back for S9/S9+. Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G965F using XDA Labs

Same here - my S7e is backup device, and primary ROM is using it also.

On the road, so might wait for v101. I am on ElementalX - can I just flash this over it ?

Just did so, and flashed OK - but like with the above kernel,,only schedutil CPU governor shows up ???

Last edited:

farovitus

Apr 30, 2011
Beirut
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Same here - my S7e is backup device, and primary ROM is using it also.

On the road, so might wait for v101. I am on ElementalX - can I just flash this over it ?

Just did so, and flashed OK - but like with the above kernel,,only schedutil CPU governor shows up ???
Yes, there is no point of using other than schedutil. It's simply the best

Reactions: t0m2k

Sofienlegiik

May 2, 2018
COOOL !

thanks dude for your job, i just have one little question, you said :

*Enable Dex with any HDMI adapter

can you tell us more about it, what we need to use it, because i tried with my adapter, and it's not working *snif*

Bicet

Sep 22, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTORIOUS-KERNEL-9810

Features:
    *Latest linux-stable always merged in, which ensure your device's kernel is up-to-date with latest patches. Forked from ELS starlte tree.(4.9.99 on thread creation date.)
    *NK9810 support encrypted and unencrypted devices. [1]
    *Changeable selinux state. (DEFAULT is Enforce and i do recommend to stick with it.)
    * android-4.9 merged (latest EAS, llvm and other android related patches).
    *Added BFQ-v8-v4.9, Maple, Fiops, Zen, Sio
    *Enabled deadline & noop io schedulers as well.
    *Wake_Gestures: sweep2wake, doubletap2wake and sweep2sleep
    *Enable Dex with any HDMI adapter
    *RGB, color control
    *Various improvements that enhance overall system performance.
    *Requires NO /system or /vendor modifications.
    *TW based roms only, don't try this kernel on any AOSP rom.

If encountered by problems related to WiFi or Bluetooth:
    - [STEP1]Flash stock vendor via odin then check.
    - IF still having problems after doing [STEP1], which you most probably won't then try to wipe/re-install the rom or change it.

[1] IF you are on an encrypted device than you would be able to flash NK9810 and use it normally, but keep in mind that TWRP don't support encrypted /data on our devices hence why i prefer that you keep an OTG or external_sd arround just so you can update/install roms or kernels etc...

DOWNLOAD

V103 https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528066700
    Credits:
    @jesec
    @AndreiLux

XDA:DevDB Information
    NOTORIOUS-Kernel-9810, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Contributors
    farovitus
    Source Code: https://github.com/farovitus/starlte.git

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: V103
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-05
    Current Beta Version: 101
    Beta Release Date: 2018-05-15

Created 2018-05-10
    Last Updated 2018-08-08
    --Main changes:
    * Latest ELS merged, BRG6 based along with 4.9.117
    * Merged android-4.9 (latest EAS, llvm patches along with many android specific commits included.)
    * Purged all SAMSUNG changes related to scheduler and inline with android-4.9.
    * Picked several patches from Google (Pixel2) & CAF & Mainline to further optimize the scheduler.
    * DVFS dynamic patch, adjust the frequencies used in some common cases like APP_LAUNCH, SCROLLING, UNLOCK etc... It's now more like SD845 variant and i personally think it's more battery friendly & ofc better in performance.
    * Unlock full GPU capability (min-freq set to 299 & max-freq 598). No, during all the testing no one damaged his phone or burned his hands from this, this change was meant to improve performance.

STOCK (BRG6) VS NK9810-V103
    --Comparison:
    I don't know why and how and what SAMSUNG did but they did waste a lot of time and money probably by adding nothing but thousands of lines to scheduler, no improvements. I ran my device with scheduler fully inlined with ACK-4.9 only to notice that the latter perform much better.
    Problems i faced with scheduler being fully inlined with ACK-4.9:
    * Frequencies being mostly at high levels which drained battery fast, other than that all was good.

How did i deal with the issue?
    My solution to this is:
    - Bring back freqvar_tune driver. Well i MAY have lied previously, SAMSUNG did add one useful driver called freqvar_tune that helps you to choose a custom value for the target residency load at each freq.
    - Import back ONLY what's useful to improve performance (QoS support) & some EXYNOS related codes (Mostly related to M3's) that helps to improve battery life.

Having those back to our new scheduler we have now a stable, normal behavior that we want from a scheduler.

--Technical Comparison for nerds like me:
    Some UIBench tests,
    * Jitter:
    wKnZNo3m97T6J74ytqyYPtlVQeE1G772Y3P2dngKN37JB3Stp6W20qq9_uFIcw8h-DNWZ1AABlhzrcSEm1-a=w1920-h1014-rw
    * Bitmap Upload:
    kknCKH90XZPiXphAWte0YNveBLt8JIFC8cP3maeZq1dQvQna4p07XzJ_wyHxAd5iNYh5R8VSV0b7fA=w1920-h1014-rw

* Invalidate:

Questions/Answers
    Q- Is there more room for improvements ?
    A- Yes, but i don't know what to do, as i really favor the performance over battery life.

Q- Can we ditch the freqvar_tune driver in the future ?
    A- Yes, but someone with more experience have to do it/fix it, i simply don't know why it was jumping over many freqs and race to max-freq.

Q- Why using higher GPU frequency ?
    A- Why not ?

Credits?
    Andreilux, he probably hates his job right now.
    Jesec, joshuous, nathanchance.
    2 of those guys had to go through a lot, just by hearing the ideas running in my head, THANKS !
    And thanks for Ryank02 for making shots presentable & for uploading V103.

Download
    [url]https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528066700[/URL]

Check GitHub repo for more information.
    Current test build of V104 will reduce power consumption.

A specific test ran on V103 vs the current test build of V104 showed an improvement by ~150 mAh.
    Such a bummer that the telegram group is down.
    Really eager to try V104, V103 was really fast but it was power hungry for me, didn't really compare battery stats but it was noticeably more power hungry than APGK for example or ELS from soldier's.
    Thanks for your good work!

Well i know for sure that ELS is combination of stock source + upstreaming so there is no huge modification that can affect performance and battery life, same goes for APGK as they both use stock scheduler which is more battery friendly than V103

V104 crushed some bugs and issues found in V103 that are scheduler related, new build would definitely improve SOT and idle.
    This thread will be closed in a while, i don't have the device anymore. ELS project will continue as usual.

Have a nice day all.