Originally Posted by juanchitox06
hello guys, recently i buy a G9600 but i dont find how about to root and upgrade the kernel for better performance, anyone have a tutorial?
Well its pretty straight forward, i have the same variant and both international snapdragon models have official TWRP releases, so download both latest Odin and the TWRP .tar file and follow any Exynos tutorial, its the same procedure.
1. Enable OEM unlock and USB Debugging on Developer Options.
2. Boot to download mode by pressing Vol Down + Bixby + Power when phone is shut down
3. Open Odin, you should see device added if not install latest drivers and open again.
4. On Odin options uncheck Auto Re boot and F Reset Time, this will avoid the phone from restarting after flashing TWRP and let you enter it more easily
5. Check the AP on Odin and select the TWRP .tar file
6. Once it finishes flashing Odin upper box will turn green, which means the flashing was effective
7. Disconnect your phone and you will see on the screen a text that says press Vol Down + Bixby + Power for 7 seconds to reboot, do that and once the screen turns off rapidly press Vol Up + Bixby + Power, when you see the Sam logo release the power button until you enter TWRP recovery.
8. On TWRP press "Keep System Read Only"
9. Go to wipe - format data then yes.
10 On TWRP reboot to recovery again
11. On TWRP press "Keep System Read Only" again and now you should be able to flash klabit kernel and flash magisk.
Its to my understanding that Samsung has placed some counter measures on their firmware in order to avoid rooting so that´s why you need to install a custom kernel.
If you don't install a Kernel you need to flash disable dm-verity in order to boot to System
Now, in the off chance nothing works you can always go to Sammobile and download your Country and carrier firmware and flash it and start all over again, also this Kernel is for Oreo so if you have updated to Android Pie you could downgrade and try it as long as you have the same binary as the firmware your going to flash.