FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App] Edge Lighting fix for all Apps with screen off (ACTUAL Edge Lighting)

111 posts
Thanks Meter: 125

By Zunderstruck, Senior Member on 31st May 2019, 01:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Get actual Samsung Edge Lighting Notifications with any app while your screen is off!

Since we all know Samsung only did half the job with this feature, this app will enable you to trigger Edge Lighting (the real one !) when your screen is off. It works with any app by reading the app notification creating a new temporary notification that triggers edge lighting (you won't notice it in your notification list).

You can set custom color filters for your apps, based on their names.
  • Real Samsung Edge Lighting
  • Extremely minimal battery drain
  • No fake AOD Screen
  • Works with ANY app (including Messenger!)

Initial setup is a bit tedious, but that's mostly Samsung's fault.

Any suggestion to improve the app is -of course- welcome!

Download link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ixforallappsv2
Get it on Google Play
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zunderstruck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zunderstruck Ad-Free

31st May 2019, 04:24 PM |#2  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Sounds amazing, will test and report. Thank you!
3rd June 2019, 01:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Warning : there is a new version of the app ont the Play Store, but it is actually a new app because, for whatever reason, Play Console started to reject my updates...

The first post has been updated with the new link.

You have to set it up again, but I've implemented the search function so it will be super fast
3rd June 2019, 05:09 PM |#4  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2,566

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunderstruck

Warning : there is a new version of the app ont the Play Store, but it is actually a new app because, for whatever reason, Play Console started to reject my updates...

The first post has been updated with the new link.

You have to set it up again, but I've implemented the search function so it will be super fast

Keeps disabling the apps I choose whenever I close and reopen the app

If I keep the app open, when I receive a message from WhatsApp which I have set to use Edge Lighting, it just turns the screen on instead of Edge lighting
3rd June 2019, 05:29 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection*

Keeps disabling the apps I choose whenever I close and reopen the app

Thank you for pointing this out.
It was a minor but very disturbing variable name bug when using the search function . The app wasn't disabled, it was just a switch display issue. If you scroll down the list without using search, you'll see your app is enabled.
Issue has been fixed, new package has been uploaded, update should be available on the market within an hour.

Quote:

If I keep the app open, when I receive a message from WhatsApp which I have set to use Edge Lighting, it just turns the screen on instead of Edge lighting

Make sure you have enabled my app in the Edge Lighting notifications settings screen (and obviously turned on edge lighting when screen is off). See in-app detailed instructions.
Edge Lighting prevents apps from turning the screen on, so if my app is able to turn it on, it means the issue relies in the edge lighting configuration panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zunderstruck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zunderstruck Ad-Free
5th June 2019, 05:08 PM |#6  
Flag Durham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunderstruck

Thank you for pointing this out.
It was a minor but very disturbing variable name bug when using the search function . The app wasn't disabled, it was just a switch display issue. If you scroll down the list without using search, you'll see your app is enabled.
Issue has been fixed, new package has been uploaded, update should be available on the market within an hour.

Make sure you have enabled my app in the Edge Lighting notifications settings screen (and obviously turned on edge lighting when screen is off). See in-app detailed instructions.
Edge Lighting prevents apps from turning the screen on, so if my app is able to turn it on, it means the issue relies in the edge lighting configuration panel.

Ah yes, thanks I had missed that toggle for notifications settings somehow even after reading the instructions, I think I opened it and saw that my 3 apps I wanted to use were checked but forgot to enable your app too

Thanks for the fix
EDIT - Doesn't seem to work, I have everything set correctly, but nothing happens when I receive a message, just the normal LED flashes
9th June 2019, 10:55 AM |#7  
Flag Durham

Donate to Me
More
Well I've tried again with the latest update (7th June) and nothing, does not call Edge Lighting when i receive a notification from one of the apps I set up, phone acts as if the app is not even installed, nothing happens other than LED notification

Can't work out what could be wrong as I have set this up like 5 times now following instructions to a T, made sure all toggles are on as directed, permissions granted, nothing
13th June 2019, 07:19 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:

Well I've tried again with the latest update (7th June) and nothing, does not call Edge Lighting when i receive a notification from one of the apps I set up, phone acts as if the app is not even installed, nothing happens other than LED notification

Can't work out what could be wrong as I have set this up like 5 times now following instructions to a T, made sure all toggles are on as directed, permissions granted, nothing

Did you go to edge lightning style > custom color and entered the app name under "By text" menu?
It worked for whatsapp on my S9...
I uninstalled it because I already have app with the same concept called "Glimpse notifications".
But if you want to customize the style for separate apps, the app in question is the way to go.
13th June 2019, 09:21 PM |#9  
Flag Durham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamil aboudaher

Did you go to edge lightning style > custom color and entered the app name under "By text" menu?
It worked for whatsapp on my S9...
I uninstalled it because I already have app with the same concept called "Glimpse notifications".
But if you want to customize the style for separate apps, the app in question is the way to go.

Didn't change any custom colours no, just left it as default as I just wanted my default edge lighting to work for all apps selected but absolutely nothing happened

Glimpse looks interesting though
13th June 2019, 09:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:

Didn't change any custom colours no, just left it as default as I just wanted my default edge lighting to work for all apps selected but absolutely nothing happened

Glimpse looks interesting though

If you didn't do what I asked in my first question, the app won't work.

"Glimpse notifications" basically triggers the app to turn on the screen when it receives a new notification, and if you had turned on edge lightning when screen is off, the effect will be shown instead of turning on the screen.

But if you want to allow many apps, the color and the app icon will be the same for all of them.

It's a bit confusing though, in the app selection, you need to check what apps to ignore, not apps to use. And you need to follow the instructions to avoid samsung's battery saving behaviour. Personally I didn't experience any kind of additional battery loss...
13th June 2019, 10:39 PM |#11  
Flag Durham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamil aboudaher

If you didn't do what I asked in my first question, the app won't work.

"Glimpse notifications" basically triggers the app to turn on the screen when it receives a new notification, and if you had turned on edge lightning when screen is off, the effect will be shown instead of turning on the screen.

But if you want to allow many apps, the color and the app icon will be the same for all of them.

It's a bit confusing though, in the app selection, you need to check what apps to ignore, not apps to use. And you need to follow the instructions to avoid samsung's battery saving behaviour. Personally I didn't experience any kind of additional battery loss...

Did not know setting custom colours in this app edge lighting was a requirement, but just to have custom colours if you wanted them otherwise your default colour would be used for all apps added

Have not tried Glimpse yet but will give it a try at some point thanks, shame Samsung can't get their own edge lighting working considering the setting is there to do what these apps are doing
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)