FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UTILITY][GUIDE]Exploring Param.lfs and hence changing Boot Logo

1,007 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,442

By corphish, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 7th February 2015, 08:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Without wasting anytime, I would straight go to the main topic.

P.S - Boot Logo NOT to be confused with Boot Animation.
P.P.S - This is for Samsung Devices only.

What is param.lfs?
Well, it is one of the files found in the stock firmware (tar.md5) file. Looks like it contains various images used by bootloader or kernel. (It may contain other functionalities also, but its what I can tell you because it is what I have understood by exploring it).

Where can I find param.lfs?

In stock firmware, just browse its contents using WinRAR or 7zip etc. It will look like :

What is there inside param.lfs?
There are many jpg files which is used by bootloader. (Once you go through them, you will find relevance). It will look like :

How is param.lfs related to boot logo?
If you explore param.lfs, you will find a file called logo.jpg. Thats it, the BOOT LOGO.

Is Samsung showing its 'class' here again?
Well, in various other phones, the boot logo is present in the root folder of ramdisk, however, in this case, boot logo is compressed inside param in respective partition. Changing boot logo in other devices seems pretty easy, but in this case, the param block must be decompressed, then make necessary changes and then recompress it back.
But the good thing is that, images are present in simple jpg format in our case, but in others, they are in .rle format, which is needed to be converted to jpg for modification. It is obviously possible through certain tools.

About the boot logo changing utility, the main job was done by the OP of this thread. My job was to identify correct partition and make necessary changes in the script.

Installation :

1. Flash it using CWM v6.
2. Now reboot to recovery (option in Advanced Menu).
3. Once you reboot to recovery again, now perform normal reboot.

The zip file has stock image, so if you modify, mod that very image. The image must be of 240x320 resolution and of 72DPI. Also the file name must be logo.jpg

Download : Here

In case you mess up, you should be able to use button combos.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to corphish For This Useful Post: [ View ]

24th September 2015, 11:26 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Will this work with SMP -900 Samsung Galaxy Note pro 12.2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by corphish

What is param.lfs?
Well, it is one of the files found in the stock firmware (tar.md5) file. Looks like it contains various images used by bootloader or kernel. (It may contain other functionalities also, but its what I can tell you because it is what I have understood by exploring it).

In stock firmware, just browse its contents using WinRAR or 7zip etc. It will look like :

There are many jpg files which is used by bootloader. (Once you go through them, you will find relevance). It will look like :

If you explore param.lfs, you will find a file called logo.jpg. Thats it, the BOOT LOGO.

Well, in various other phones, the boot logo is present in the root folder of ramdisk, however, in this case, boot logo is compressed inside param in respective partition. Changing boot logo in other devices seems pretty easy, but in this case, the param block must be decompressed, then make necessary changes and then recompress it back.
But the good thing is that, images are present in simple jpg format in our case, but in others, they are in .rle format, which is needed to be converted to jpg for modification. It is obviously possible through certain tools.

About the boot logo changing utility, the main job was done by the OP of this thread. My job was to identify correct partition and make necessary changes in the script.

Installation :

The zip file has stock image, so if you modify, mod that very image. The image must be of 240x320 resolution and of 72DPI. Also the file name must be logo.jpg

Will this work with Samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mastjadoon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastjadoon Ad-Free
4th February 2016, 03:28 AM |#3  
Flag kolkata
Thanks Meter: 129

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corphish

What is param.lfs?

Installation :

Thanks for the help it did really worked on my samsung Galaxy Star Duos.
But as I'm new to these forum so I don't know how to donate. can suggest me how to dontate so that I can donate you .
24th April 2017, 02:21 AM |#4  
Flag Jakarta, Indonesia
Thanks Meter: 142

More
May I use this zip for my experiment on S5 Snapdragon and S4
30th May 2017, 07:29 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Can't work on s5 snapdragon,I can't find any .ifs file in the stock firmware
Sorry for my bad English.
9th May 2019, 10:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4