Stable AOSP 7.1 setup w/ working Google and Voice - ACHIEVED!

Search This thread

ChairmanMaose

Aug 26, 2019
I love the effort that went into keeping this old tablet running. I thought I'd flash my first rom but even after I installed the Samsung drivers for W10 my PC won't detect the tablet. I restarted the PC thinking that would be a fix but it's a no go. Solution's anyone? Cheers.

I love the effort that went into keeping this old tablet running. I thought I'd flash my first rom but even after I installed the Samsung drivers for W10 my PC won't detect the tablet. I restarted the PC thinking that would be a fix but it's a no go. Solution's anyone? Cheers.
I think what your loking for is in the pull down menu where you allow the tablet to connect and share files.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Hi, Thank you for the excellent effort. I am on the lookout to upgrade my GT 10.1 p4vzw. I don't care about cellular capabilities. I know that when installing ROMs, you should always use one that was designed for your sepecific model
If I am correct the ROM presented here comes from the Google Nexus (5 or 6) and the 8.0 version for the Galaxy Tab p4wifi comes from the Google Pixle. Look up the Build Number which should confirm that. But to answer your question, The Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2012) cellular tablet was issued by T-Mobile and Verizon and at the time they cost about a 1000 bucks. If you have one you'll notice that it's built pretty solid. I don't believe the Nexus and Pixle have phone capabilities. So you may not get that kind of programing with the kernel. So it shouldn't hurt if you flash it in.
But hey! I just realized something. You probably have an SD card slot? That's a question and possibly a big one.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgJeeves

stefaktiv

May 9, 2009
Does someone use this ROM-Version with working internet cellphone-connection in Germany? How can I activate the SIM-Card / 3G-Option?

Seblard

Jun 23, 2011
:good:

Hi,

Great work !!! I've got a brand new galaxy tab 10.1 ;)

Is there a way to make Skype working with this ROM ? Impossible for me… withe screen ;-(

Last edited:

Crash27

Jun 24, 2010
Peterborough
It all installed perfect but the only issue im having now is I cannot update google play services, it keeps crashing, and even the playstore opens but crashes a few seconds later. Any ideas on how to fix this?

devilsneer

Oct 19, 2019
Spent hours trying figure out the same issue, finally got it working! It has to do with the skype apk - something changed and broke functionality -- the most up to date version that worked for me is "com.skype.raider_v8.0.0.44736-134234709_Android-4.0.3" downloaded from here (Page2):
androidapksfree.com/skype-app/com-skype-raider/old/page/2/
Direct download link: androidapksfree.com/skype-app/com-skype-raider/download-old/skype-8-0-0-44736-134234709-apk-download/

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

It all installed perfect but the only issue im having now is I cannot update google play services, it keeps crashing, and even the playstore opens but crashes a few seconds later. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I think you probably rebooted after installing the ROM.... cuz this happened to me as well... here is how I fixed it:
1. Advanced Wipe Everything via TWRP (not sure if its required, but it wiped everything - even the OS)
2. Re-install aosp-7.1-p4-20171005.zip - DO NOT REBOOT, just go back using the back button
3. Connect to your PC and copy the SuperUser file(SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip) to your phone/tab - Install it via TWRP --- NOW Reboot to System
4. AS SOON as system boots up, reboot to recovery and install GAPPS -- (assuming you've placed the GAPPS zip file in your phone/tab - p75xx-gapps-L-7-17-15.zip)

This fixed the play store crashing (white screen that crashed immediately) issue for me....
Also if you're tryna install Skype - it will keep crashing -- download its older apk version: com.skype.raider_v8.0.0.44736-134234709_Android-4.0.3.apk

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

:good:

Hi,
Great work !!! I've got a brand new galaxy tab 10.1 ;)
Is there a way to make Skype working with this ROM ? Impossible for me… withe screen ;-(

Spent hours trying figure out the same issue, finally got it working! It has to do with the skype apk - something changed and broke functionality -- the most up to date version that worked for me is "com.skype.raider_v8.0.0.44736-134234709_Android-4.0.3" downloaded from here (Page2):
androidapksfree.com/skype-app/com-skype-raider/old/page/2/
Direct download link: androidapksfree.com/skype-app/com-skype-raider/download-old/skype-8-0-0-44736-134234709-apk-download/

Just made this account to share my solution with ya!!!

Unsupported Device

You do not try to update Google Play or Google Play Services. The device is unsupported and will crash because of that. It cannot as of yet update.

Jaesten

Jan 7, 2020
It's a kind of magic.

There once was a noob that saved a perfectly working Samsung GT-p7510wifi from the dumpster.
He found out the device was not able to install any of his favorite programs and it was a very slow device indeed.
What to do?... Or what not to do? That was the question. He felt like such a noob...for he was certain he could save this beautiful device from the dumpster.

And so he turned to his prophet... Google.

After watching approximately 15 video's, opening about 260 webpages, downloading a ton of useless files and smoking two pre-rolled ones he was still so far away from enlightenment ....
It left him with 2 red fingertips and his personal life became a mess. A random man would have stopped... but no "the geek is strong in this noob!" i say.
And by now the noob became emotionally attached to the device so there was no way back. The noob didn't stop and he finally ended up here,..at XDA "the place where magic happens" (i also say).

And so he completed all the steps which are pointed out above to make this Android (which was previously a device that would almost make you wanna smash the thing to pieces and slit your wrist with the shattered glass just to see would die sooner) in to a device that doesn't make you want to do these things anymore! A pleasant device, one that works, without a slow ass outdated version,...and containing useless apps...And so! After casting all the right spells and installing the right potions (for which its contents where unknown to him) he saved the dying device from the trash and above all giving the device a new destiny....a new life,..... a new purpose.

The End

================
So thank many thanks for this super clear and organized overview!
This helped me out so much, thanks for all your effort!
Shout out @HiltonJ and @decatf and others that are part of this club of wizards!

(It felt like a bit of quest and so there for this Reply is posted as some sort of a story). ;)

Thanks!
Jaesten

Reactions: geraldoazv

curious_999

Nov 29, 2019
milano
at the origin, there was firmware HC 3.0.1 ver. XXKI1 (Vodafone).

later I downloaded original samsung firmware P7500XXLQ8_P7500OXALQ8_P7500XXLQ8_HOME.tar.md5 (4.0.4 ITV) and table works fine, I browse in 3G really fine.

later I needed Nougat, then I updated my device by this thread

tablet is rooted, twrp 3.11 installed.
almost everything works fine, the modem hooks the carrier of Vodafone Italy but only in GSM mode and I can receive only SMS.
nothing to do for browsing in 3G.

does a solution exist to browsing in 3G with Nougat with Vodafone Italy?
does a nice person exist who suggests me a work-around, an engineering code to modify baseband or have I to resign?

thanks, thanks, thanks

albertaz

Aug 10, 2010
Udine
Hello.

I installed the ROM following the guide at Post #1.

As for the SIM data internet navigation I have set the Vodafone Italy APN settings and I can flawlessy browse the internet getting an "H" signal in the mobile data icon.

The one issue that I am experiencing is that the home screen circle button (central button) and square button (right button) in the bottom menu are not working.

Has anybody had this same issue and succeeded in fixing it?

Update: 19th April 2020:
I have reinstalled/reflashed several times the ROM and the behaviour of the 3 bottom buttons was restored BUT I lost the SIM card usage since the SIM card is not detected anymore! :confused::(

Last edited:

teknoraver

Jun 1, 2010
Milano
teknoraver.net
Hi,

I've installed that ROM, but it's far from perfect. The home button doesn't work, notifications doesn't show, and it's impossible to enable developer options.

Am I the only one with this kind of issues?

CJdev

May 22, 2019
Noob install

So I am following the instructions (thank you HiltonJ) and hope to add a few noob details as I go along. Note I have a P7500 with 3G and using a Windows 7 computer. My P7500 still had stock samsung android (4.0.4 I think) and wasn't pre-rooted. Read the rest in conjunction with HiltonJ's instructions!

1. Make BACKUPS!
    • Backup your old apps (as old versions compatible with the P4's tegra chip may no longer be easily available. Install APK Extractor by Meher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui&hl=en_ZA). Go through the list of apps and tap to save each to a .APK installation file on the tablet's internal storage. (Take care to avoid the click-bait ads in APK extractor with messages like "click to update list of apps" - worst case it opens your browser, but the tablet is so slow you can just back button yourself to safety before the Ad loads).
    • Connect your tablet to PC and manually copy any files you want to backup, including the DCIM folder with your photos and videos as well as the above .APK files in the ExtractedAPKs folder.
    • Set Windows Explorer to also show hidden files. This way you could possibly save some app data in hidden folders (like your kid's Minecraft worlds).
    • Also delete any large files and movies (not system files) to reduce your system backup file size (see #4).
  2. Getting the required files.
    • Some of the direct links in HiltonJ's tutorial are dead, but generally you can get by by going following the links provided to the original download page.
  3. Run ODIN and installing TWRP.
    • When you connect the tablet with ODIN already running, you'll see a msg "<ID:0/007> Added!!" and the textbox
      under ID:COM will display some text. This means your tablet has connected (and your samsung drivers installed correctly. I kinda expected "P7500 connected" but its ODIN and not designed for user friendliness).
    • I downloaded both the MD5 and .zip twrp files and put them in the same folder. I used v3.1.1 for my P7500. The older version might be more reliable with certain P4 models.
    • Click the PDA button, and select your TWRP MD5 file. Make sure the PDA checkbox is checked and hit start. It will check the MD5 checksum (file integrity) and then proceed to upload the image files. You should get a "PASS!" msg.
  4. Booting into TWRP for the first time and making a system wide backup
    • Unplug the tablet and restart, boot into recovery (you will now get the TWRP welcome screen instead of ye old samsung recovery)
    • I got an option from TWRP311 about keeping the system partition read-only (this seemed like the safer route for
      the moment, so I went for the "keep read only" option.
    • MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH TWRP FIRST (select backup, select all items to backup, select compression option and start backup). The backup will be made to the tablets internal storage so make sure you have enough free space.
    • Restart "to system", connect to PC again and backup the newly created TWRP folder to your PC. This should contain all the critical files to restore your tablet back to your original state (minus the personal data which TWRP says it doesn't backup, but which you backed up in #1). When asked, no need to install the TRWP android app.
  5. Boot into TWRP again and WIPE!
    • Wipe > advanced > wipe all (dalvik/art cache, cache, system, data and internal storage). Leave USB OTG.
    • You can now transfer AOSP, SuperSU, and GApps zip files to the device from Windows. The tablet should be visible from Windows as a "P4" portable media player and able to see the internal storage via USB when booted into TWRP.
    • Don't reboot. Go back.
    • Select install from the main menu, and select your AOSP zip file (I used aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip). Check "zip signature verification". Uncheck "reboot". And Swipe to flash.
    • Now repeat with the SuperSU file. But also check "Reboot". I went with the latest beta release SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip (see here for the updates since 20170528: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64916199&postcount=3)
    • On reboot, again no need to install the TRWP android app.
  6. Boot into AOSP for the first time
    • *wait*.
    • Once in, don't fiddle too much. I rebooted a second time by mistake - but it started up a lot faster.
    • Reboot into TWRP recovery. Install GApps "p75xx-gapps-L-7-17-15.zip" without the "zip signature verification" option. I had to transfer it again, as seemingly the folder I created before has dissapeared after flashing AOSP. Reboot back into AOSP.
  7. Set up wifi, set as metered connection (this might help prevent background updating of the google app).
  8. Open playstore and disable auto-update under settings as instructed. I do not have "google play services" in the list so I cannot update it. I did get a pop-up later on to update google play service, which I did successfully.
  9. So far so good. Performance seems nice and smooth - at least nicer than before on stock. I decided to not overclock the tablet at this stage, as this may lead to battery draining others have mentioned. I'd rather test vanilla performance first then overclock later.

---------- Post updated at 2020/05/07 --------------------

I am glad I went for the upgrade. So far works for me, at least for the primary purpose as a gaming tablet for the kids.

Things that worked/I tested so far (in aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip):
  • Back, home and app drawer buttons are working 100%.
  • Google search & voice working.
  • Basic browser working
  • Camera works (photos at 3.1 MP, video at default 720p crashes the camera app, but works when set to 480p)
  • I could enable developer options through settings (there's an interesting NEON emulation on/off option to play with).
  • Transferred backup media and apk files from Windows back to tablet via usb.
  • Installed Total Commander from the play store as a file manager and used it to install some of my old apps saved in #1.
  • Netflix wasn't available on the play store (Play store seems to block unknown devices for Netflix) - but I could install an old version (3.16.3 build 5359) from APK file. Video streaming works with no audio lag. This was BTW the last version that worked on stock 4.0.4 (also the last version of Netflix that doesn't support downloading offline videos).
  • The latest 04/2020 version of minecraft doesn't work (or at least it loads ages), but an older version v.1.7.0 works well (much faster than the same old version on stock 4.0.4).

To be tested
  • Youtube & new version on Netflix
  • New version of minecraft with NEON emulation set to OFF in the developer settings
  • Notifications

Not working:
  • Modem, just says no sim card present (supposedly this is because I used the newer aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip)
  • USB OTG doesn't seem to work for flash disks, but it does work for a mouse and keyboard. USB host connection to Windows PC does work.
  • If you switch off NEON emulation in dev options, google play services throws the occasional error. Doesn't seem to make much difference to minecraft response in v.1.7.0.
  • Settings menu is sometimes just blank. Seems to work if you long press on wifi in the pull down menu, then navigate to other setting from the wifi submenu.

Last edited:

Dunedaim

May 10, 2020
Wipe error fatal

First of all, thank you for this valuable and great selfless work.

I tried to install AOSP 7.1.2 and GApps on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model GT-P7510.
Due to a mistake I made an excessive wipe and I couldn't install the AOSP of decaft 7.1.2 anymore.
I have read that with an SDcard you can continue the process but this device lacks that possibility.
Is there a way to solve it?
This device only has WIFI, no SD card slot, and the connector is not a standard USB.

Last edited:

CJdev

May 22, 2019
First of all, thank you for this valuable and great selfless work.

I tried to install AOSP 7.1.2 and GApps on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model GT-P7510.
Due to a mistake I made an excessive wipe and I couldn't install the AOSP of decaft 7.1.2 anymore.
I have read that with an SDcard you can continue the process but this device lacks that possibility.
Is there a way to solve it?
This device only has WIFI, no SD card slot, and the connector is not a standard USB.

What mistake did you make? Do you still have access to TWRP? You can transfer files over usb from windows while in TWRP.

I dont know much about unbricking if its totally blank but I would assume you should start with Odin.

As for your SD card question, what about a usb disk with an usb otg adapter specifically made for these tabs. They are fairly cheap - if you can find it. Fyi, the stock samsung firmware would automatically mount a flashdisk via die otg adapter. However I could not get it to work with AOSP. Havent tested flashdisks with TWRP but I have seen a mount command in the TWRP submenus...

Dunedaim

May 10, 2020
What mistake did you make? Do you still have access to TWRP? You can transfer files over usb from windows while in TWRP.

I dont know much about unbricking if its totally blank but I would assume you should start with Odin.

As for your SD card question, what about a usb disk with an usb otg adapter specifically made for these tabs. They are fairly cheap - if you can find it. Fyi, the stock samsung firmware would automatically mount a flashdisk via die otg adapter. However I could not get it to work with AOSP. Havent tested flashdisks with TWRP but I have seen a mount command in the TWRP submenus...

I edit to communicate that I've already solved it.

I found the official ROM on the internet in .md5 format and I could install it with Odin.

The rest, follow the steps without mistake and I have everything ok.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for answering CJdev.

After Wipe I haven't located the zip files to continue the installation so I think I deleted them.
The tablet does not start.
I have access to TWRP but I can't access the tablet from Windows and copy the .zip files.
I bought the USB OTG adapter cable to connect a pendrive but it doesn't recognize it either.
I tried to install the ROM with odin but I don't have the tar.md5 files.
There is a mount command in the TWRP? I haven't seen it.

Last edited:

CJdev

May 22, 2019
With this ROM the SIM card does not work. Doesn’t work for anyone: https://xdaforums.com/search/thread/3471350?query=sim

Maybe we can try and patch the 2019 ROM with the files from the 2017 ROM?

I've read a few posts about the libsec-ril.so files, like this one https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/help/solution-lineage-os-sim-t3640689

I found a few libsec files in another folder on my 2019 ROM-flashed P7500.

You need root and a root file explorer. Can you search perhaps on your 2017 ROM?

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Also, this post may be relevant: https://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-tab-10-1-p7500-enable-phone-voice-call-118072/

This may point to some additional files to pull from 2017 over to the 2019 ROM - but I suspect someone here or on the main AOSP 7.1 forum post have tried installing the XXLQ3 driver files already without success.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is to install AOSP 7.1.2 and GApps on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model GT-P7500 ("p4"). It has also been reported working on the Wifi-only version GT-P7510 ("p4wifi") with minor changes, noted in the instructions. I will update this main post as better information becomes known.

Updated 2018-Aug-06
    After a couple dozen wipe-and-retry sessions, I thought I'd share my current setup which to date has been the most stable configuration I've had between Nougat and Oreo. I've had absolutely no stability issues so far with this setup, and I even have fully functional Google search, voice search (and Ok Google), and voice typing - no crashes. Anyone who's tried to install a modern GApps on these devices will know the frustration of literally endless and unstoppable "....has stopped" messages!

Here's what I've got working on my GT-P7500:
    - AOSP Nougat 7.1 (all thanks to @decatf)
    - Fully functional Google Apps - NO "... has stopped working"/"... keeps crashing" issues. None.
    - Google Search, Google Now, voice search, voice typing, and other voice-related services ALL WORK. No crashing.

I should also mention that I have NOT included the instructions to create the 1GB /system partition. I figured this out when I was trying to install modern GApps that needed more space; in the end the instructions below turned out to be the best and do not require the expanded space. I have posted the file in another thread if anyone wants it for other purposes.

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download these files to your PC. Some files are different for different variants of the device - make sure you get the right ones for your device!
      • Odin v1.85 (download)
        Use only this version, the newer ones don't work well with this device.
      • TeamWin Recovery Project
        Custom unofficial versions for p4* by @decatf. Direct download links below; select the right one for your device. (original thread / downloads page) Some have reported issues with TWRP 3.1.1; if you experience issues, try TWRP 2.8.7.0 instead.
      • Android Open Source Project 7.1.2 Custom Built for Galaxy Tab 10.1 - AOSP 7.1.2 built for p4* by @decatf (downloads page) (original thread).
        • decatf's AOSP 7.1.2 2017-10-05 - for GT-P7500/p4 (download) - for GT-P7510/p4wifi (download) - for SGH-T859 (download)
      • SuperSU v2.82 (download) (original thread).
      • Custom GApps from decatf's Lollipop release (download) (original thread).
        Yes, really, the Lollipop version. Just trust me.
    2. Boot into Download mode (instructions).
    3. Connect to PC.
    4. Start up Odin v1.85.
      • If the device is properly recognized, it will show up in the first of the row of white squares at the top. If not, install the Samsung USB Drivers and start again.
    5. Use Odin 1.85 to install TWRP 3.1.1 Custom.
    6. Reboot to Recovery mode (instructions).
    7. Wipe the device, including the /system partition.
    8. Transfer the AOSP, SuperSU, and GApps files to the device.
    9. Install decatf's AOSP 7.1.2.
    10. Install SuperSU v2.82.
    11. Do NOT install GApps at this time, despite all the instructions everywhere else that you would normally install GApps before the first boot. This older release is being used to get a version of the Google app that works on this tablet's no-longer-supported CPU, and the install is done after first boot to bypass Google's Setup Wizard which will put you in an impossible-to-exit loop.
    12. Reboot to System, and allow complete boot-up. Note that the boot will take several minutes as Android 7 does its thing setting up - be patient!
    13. Once fully booted, wait a minute for the system to settle, then reboot back into Recovery.
    14. Install custom GApps.
    15. Reboot to System. Boot should be much faster this time.
    16. You can do this part later, but the final steps will be smoother if you do this first.
      • Install a CPU Speed Control program of your choice. Device Control, 3C Toolbox, No-Frills CPU, heck even Automate or Tasker if you already have a script setup.
      • Set your CPU Max speed to 1400 MHz (1.4 GHz). I find stability issues at anything above 1400 on my device; your mileage may vary. When testing speeds, do not set them to apply on boot until you are certain it is still stable, or you may have some difficulty reverting.
      • Optionally Set your CPU Governer to Performance. This results in a smoother system overall, and doesn't seem to have much of an effect on battery life. I also use some settings to drop the Governer to Interactive when the screen is off, back to Performance on screen on. You can do this using any number of programs like Automate, Tasker, IFTTT, 3C Toolbox, and many others...
    17. Most important step - open Play Store, go to My Apps, select Google, click the Menu in the top-right corner, and uncheck Auto-Updates. Alternately, you can go to Play Store Settings, and disable auto-updates altogether, but that is more troublesome than simply inhibiting the single app.
    18. Update Google Play Services. It will need to be updated before most of the newer apps will function, so might as well do it now.
    19. Install all the other Google apps you want from the Play Store, and any updates... you will need to update Play Services before most of the newer apps will function... but never, ever update the main Google app.
    20. Open Settings.
      • Scroll to the bottom, and open Language and Input. Select Physical Keyboard settings, and enable "Show Virtual Keyboard". This ROM fakes having a physical keyboard always connected for some reason, so you will never see an on-screen keyboard unless you turn this on.
      • As long as we're in Settings, go to Security, and enable Unknown Sources. You'll probably want this.
      • Set up your Wi-Fi connection.
      • Adjust any of your other preferred settings.
    21. You're finished! Try installing some of the software below.

Known issues:
    • Browser will crash once or twice during the first few minutes of operation for unknown reasons. Doesn't seem to happen again after that.

Recommended software that works: (I'll add Play Store links later...)
    • 3C Toolbox / 3C Toolbox Pro - I've found this to be an excellent package for numerous functions including CPU control, app control, and battery reporting - I was able to quickly determine which of my chargers would charge it fastest. Also gives options for optimizing device on each boot and a number of other useful functions.
    • Via Browser, a modern browser built to be slim and speedy "for geeks". It is surprisingly responsive compared to the other two options on this old device.
    • decatf's Chromium for Tegra 2 CPUs (direct link to Downloads). This is a modern browser with all the features you expect, but compiled to run on the older CPU. It is a little bit slow but is essentially Chrome without the official branding, including the ability to sync with Chrome on other devices. @decatf is nice enough to keep compiling new versions to keep it roughly on par with Chrome, let's hope he keeps it up.
    • Firefox Focus, a privacy-focused version of the Firefox browser maintained separately. For whatever reason, this one is still compiled for older devices where the full browser is not. It is a modern and relatively speedy browser which can be nice to have on hand, but purposely eliminates features most people want in a daily-use browser, like bookmarks, history, etc.
    • Got suggestions for useful software that functions well on this old device? Let me know!

Mainstream software that WILL NOT WORK, even though it shows up as compatible in the Play Store and will install fine (but complain about your CPU type or report 'unsupported device'):
    • Google Chrome browser - as an alternative, check out decatf's Chromium, noted above.
    • Mozilla Firefox browser - as an alternative, check out Firefox Focus and Via Browser, noted above.
    • Find another one? Let me know! There were more but I've forgotten.

Original post...
    You read it. I have a Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500) which I have managed to configure with decatf's AOSF Nougat 7.1, Google Apps with fully functional Google App and Voice Search (NO crashes), and with an enlarged /system partition so there is actually room on the partition to install some extra system apps without mucking about with linking or anything.

I slapped a quick guide to the GApps bit on the end of decatf's 7.1 thread in Development, but I wonder if there is enough of an interested audience for me to write up how I did the whole thing?

Disclaimer: It may or may not involve pentagram carvings and Satanic rituals.
    Noob install

So I am following the instructions (thank you HiltonJ) and hope to add a few noob details as I go along. Note I have a P7500 with 3G and using a Windows 7 computer. My P7500 still had stock samsung android (4.0.4 I think) and wasn't pre-rooted. Read the rest in conjunction with HiltonJ's instructions!

1. Make BACKUPS!
      • Backup your old apps (as old versions compatible with the P4's tegra chip may no longer be easily available. Install APK Extractor by Meher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui&hl=en_ZA). Go through the list of apps and tap to save each to a .APK installation file on the tablet's internal storage. (Take care to avoid the click-bait ads in APK extractor with messages like "click to update list of apps" - worst case it opens your browser, but the tablet is so slow you can just back button yourself to safety before the Ad loads).
      • Connect your tablet to PC and manually copy any files you want to backup, including the DCIM folder with your photos and videos as well as the above .APK files in the ExtractedAPKs folder.
      • Set Windows Explorer to also show hidden files. This way you could possibly save some app data in hidden folders (like your kid's Minecraft worlds).
      • Also delete any large files and movies (not system files) to reduce your system backup file size (see #4).
    2. Getting the required files.
      • Some of the direct links in HiltonJ's tutorial are dead, but generally you can get by by going following the links provided to the original download page.
    3. Run ODIN and installing TWRP.
      • When you connect the tablet with ODIN already running, you'll see a msg "<ID:0/007> Added!!" and the textbox
        under ID:COM will display some text. This means your tablet has connected (and your samsung drivers installed correctly. I kinda expected "P7500 connected" but its ODIN and not designed for user friendliness).
      • I downloaded both the MD5 and .zip twrp files and put them in the same folder. I used v3.1.1 for my P7500. The older version might be more reliable with certain P4 models.
      • Click the PDA button, and select your TWRP MD5 file. Make sure the PDA checkbox is checked and hit start. It will check the MD5 checksum (file integrity) and then proceed to upload the image files. You should get a "PASS!" msg.
    4. Booting into TWRP for the first time and making a system wide backup
      • Unplug the tablet and restart, boot into recovery (you will now get the TWRP welcome screen instead of ye old samsung recovery)
      • I got an option from TWRP311 about keeping the system partition read-only (this seemed like the safer route for
        the moment, so I went for the "keep read only" option.
      • MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH TWRP FIRST (select backup, select all items to backup, select compression option and start backup). The backup will be made to the tablets internal storage so make sure you have enough free space.
      • Restart "to system", connect to PC again and backup the newly created TWRP folder to your PC. This should contain all the critical files to restore your tablet back to your original state (minus the personal data which TWRP says it doesn't backup, but which you backed up in #1). When asked, no need to install the TRWP android app.
    5. Boot into TWRP again and WIPE!
      • Wipe > advanced > wipe all (dalvik/art cache, cache, system, data and internal storage). Leave USB OTG.
      • You can now transfer AOSP, SuperSU, and GApps zip files to the device from Windows. The tablet should be visible from Windows as a "P4" portable media player and able to see the internal storage via USB when booted into TWRP.
      • Don't reboot. Go back.
      • Select install from the main menu, and select your AOSP zip file (I used aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip). Check "zip signature verification". Uncheck "reboot". And Swipe to flash.
      • Now repeat with the SuperSU file. But also check "Reboot". I went with the latest beta release SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip (see here for the updates since 20170528: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64916199&postcount=3)
      • On reboot, again no need to install the TRWP android app.
    6. Boot into AOSP for the first time
      • *wait*.
      • Once in, don't fiddle too much. I rebooted a second time by mistake - but it started up a lot faster.
      • Reboot into TWRP recovery. Install GApps "p75xx-gapps-L-7-17-15.zip" without the "zip signature verification" option. I had to transfer it again, as seemingly the folder I created before has dissapeared after flashing AOSP. Reboot back into AOSP.
    7. Set up wifi, set as metered connection (this might help prevent background updating of the google app).
    8. Open playstore and disable auto-update under settings as instructed. I do not have "google play services" in the list so I cannot update it. I did get a pop-up later on to update google play service, which I did successfully.
    9. So far so good. Performance seems nice and smooth - at least nicer than before on stock. I decided to not overclock the tablet at this stage, as this may lead to battery draining others have mentioned. I'd rather test vanilla performance first then overclock later.

---------- Post updated at 2020/05/07 --------------------

I am glad I went for the upgrade. So far works for me, at least for the primary purpose as a gaming tablet for the kids.

Things that worked/I tested so far (in aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip):
    • Back, home and app drawer buttons are working 100%.
    • Google search & voice working.
    • Basic browser working
    • Camera works (photos at 3.1 MP, video at default 720p crashes the camera app, but works when set to 480p)
    • I could enable developer options through settings (there's an interesting NEON emulation on/off option to play with).
    • Transferred backup media and apk files from Windows back to tablet via usb.
    • Installed Total Commander from the play store as a file manager and used it to install some of my old apps saved in #1.
    • Netflix wasn't available on the play store (Play store seems to block unknown devices for Netflix) - but I could install an old version (3.16.3 build 5359) from APK file. Video streaming works with no audio lag. This was BTW the last version that worked on stock 4.0.4 (also the last version of Netflix that doesn't support downloading offline videos).
    • The latest 04/2020 version of minecraft doesn't work (or at least it loads ages), but an older version v.1.7.0 works well (much faster than the same old version on stock 4.0.4).

To be tested
    • Youtube & new version on Netflix
    • New version of minecraft with NEON emulation set to OFF in the developer settings
    • Notifications

Not working:
    • Modem, just says no sim card present (supposedly this is because I used the newer aosp-7.1-p4-20190318.zip)
    • USB OTG doesn't seem to work for flash disks, but it does work for a mouse and keyboard. USB host connection to Windows PC does work.
    • If you switch off NEON emulation in dev options, google play services throws the occasional error. Doesn't seem to make much difference to minecraft response in v.1.7.0.
    • Settings menu is sometimes just blank. Seems to work if you long press on wifi in the pull down menu, then navigate to other setting from the wifi submenu.
    Are you tried aldiko ?
    I think what your loking for is in the pull down menu where you allow the tablet to connect and share files.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Hi, Thank you for the excellent effort. I am on the lookout to upgrade my GT 10.1 p4vzw. I don't care about cellular capabilities. I know that when installing ROMs, you should always use one that was designed for your sepecific model
    If I am correct the ROM presented here comes from the Google Nexus (5 or 6) and the 8.0 version for the Galaxy Tab p4wifi comes from the Google Pixle. Look up the Build Number which should confirm that. But to answer your question, The Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2012) cellular tablet was issued by T-Mobile and Verizon and at the time they cost about a 1000 bucks. If you have one you'll notice that it's built pretty solid. I don't believe the Nexus and Pixle have phone capabilities. So you may not get that kind of programing with the kernel. So it shouldn't hurt if you flash it in.
    But hey! I just realized something. You probably have an SD card slot? That's a question and possibly a big one.
    It's a kind of magic.

There once was a noob that saved a perfectly working Samsung GT-p7510wifi from the dumpster.
    He found out the device was not able to install any of his favorite programs and it was a very slow device indeed.
    What to do?... Or what not to do? That was the question. He felt like such a noob...for he was certain he could save this beautiful device from the dumpster.

And so he turned to his prophet... Google.

After watching approximately 15 video's, opening about 260 webpages, downloading a ton of useless files and smoking two pre-rolled ones he was still so far away from enlightenment ....
    It left him with 2 red fingertips and his personal life became a mess. A random man would have stopped... but no "the geek is strong in this noob!" i say.
    And by now the noob became emotionally attached to the device so there was no way back. The noob didn't stop and he finally ended up here,..at XDA "the place where magic happens" (i also say).

And so he completed all the steps which are pointed out above to make this Android (which was previously a device that would almost make you wanna smash the thing to pieces and slit your wrist with the shattered glass just to see would die sooner) in to a device that doesn't make you want to do these things anymore! A pleasant device, one that works, without a slow ass outdated version,...and containing useless apps...And so! After casting all the right spells and installing the right potions (for which its contents where unknown to him) he saved the dying device from the trash and above all giving the device a new destiny....a new life,..... a new purpose.

The End

================
    So thank many thanks for this super clear and organized overview!
    This helped me out so much, thanks for all your effort!
    Shout out @HiltonJ and @decatf and others that are part of this club of wizards!

(It felt like a bit of quest and so there for this Reply is posted as some sort of a story). ;)

Thanks!
    Jaesten