Play Store Service crashes every 10 seconds - how to freeze version?

Search This thread

HansiHusten

Dec 19, 2006
Hey there,

if you are still a regular user of the good old GTab 10.1 - like my GF - you might have encountered this issue recently too.
Google has updated and does remotely update your Play Store Service to a version which is not supported anymore by this tablet, or the other way around, the app does not support our hardware anymore and the service keeps crashing and crashing, same with Chrome and Maps as far as I know.

Well I first thought something is wrong with the ROM or Gapps so I looked for a recent unofficial ROM and found the [ROM][Unofficial][AOSP] Android 7.1.1 Nougat and there was stated:

Incompatible apps:
The following apps no longer support the hardware in this tablet. They will not work on any ROM for this device. There is no hack to make them work.

Apps that do not support this tablet:
Chrome 50+
Google Translate
Gboard 6.0.79
Maps 9.45
Google Play services 10.2
Apps based on Unity 5 engine
Last known compatible versions:
Chrome 49.0
Gboard 6.0.69
Maps 9.44
Google Play services 10.0.84

Well I had a backup from 2015 on the GTab and restored it but immediately the service updated itself and it began to crash.
In the Above mentioned thread there was some1 writing
This worked for me (for disabling Google Play Services auto-update) :
- disconnect wifi
- disable auto-update apps in Google Play Store
- in Settings / Apps, GPS, 3-dots menu, Uninstall updates, so back to v10.0.84....
- in App info, Data usage, disable Unrestricted data usage
- reconnect wifi

Now GPS doesn't seem to auto-update anymore.
Best regards

Sadly this does not seem to work for me. I was thinking about Titanium backup to freeze the GPS but I am not sure if this will work.

Also flashed manually a GApps Version which had the older play store in it but also got overwritten immediately :(

So have you encountered this issue and how did you fix it?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: kuntau

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Did you make sure to turn off auto update apps in Google Play store? That combined with the other steps listed worked for me and my Galaxy Tab play services has NOT updated... And it works fine, though it still occasionally crashes, but not every ten secons.

Bernie9999

Feb 13, 2017
I'm facing exactly the same problem.
I don't have the "Disable unrestricted data usage" option in Google Play Services Data Usage.
There is only "Restrict app background data", but this one doesn't prevent GPS from update.
In the next day GPS updates automatically to version 10.2.* and crushes.

_vpx143_

Feb 22, 2017
I tried this and it worked - for a couple of days. Now some apps are complaining they are unlicensed :(

HansiHusten

Dec 19, 2006
Well I was able to disable GPS completely but now, as stated above, apps are complaining and there are now no app updates availible and the complete store is disabled, not really what I was looking for. But I guess Google now really fu:cyclops::cyclops:ed us. So are we done with this tablet or what?

UncleDick

Nov 26, 2015
Not Dead Yet

Well I was able to disable GPS completely but now, as stated above, apps are complaining and there are now no app updates availible and the complete store is disabled, not really what I was looking for. But I guess Google now really fu:cyclops::cyclops:ed us. So are we done with this tablet or what?

My p4wifi is working fine on the latest 7.1.1 ROM and the older GApps. Disabling automatic updates in the Play Store keeps regular apps from updating when we don't want them to.
Disabling the background data settings in Apps.... Google Play Services... Settings keeps GPS from updating itself.
(I'm not sure that I made the settings change in Developer Options or not.)

It might be worth reading through the posts in the 7.1.1 thread.

I can afford a new tablet, but cannot find anything this size that keeps the ROM current with Google releases.
(I also do not play games or need esoteric applications.)

Don't give up yet.

Reactions: Nonomen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,

if you are still a regular user of the good old GTab 10.1 - like my GF - you might have encountered this issue recently too.
    Google has updated and does remotely update your Play Store Service to a version which is not supported anymore by this tablet, or the other way around, the app does not support our hardware anymore and the service keeps crashing and crashing, same with Chrome and Maps as far as I know.

Well I first thought something is wrong with the ROM or Gapps so I looked for a recent unofficial ROM and found the [ROM][Unofficial][AOSP] Android 7.1.1 Nougat and there was stated:

Incompatible apps:
    The following apps no longer support the hardware in this tablet. They will not work on any ROM for this device. There is no hack to make them work.

Apps that do not support this tablet:
    Chrome 50+
    Google Translate
    Gboard 6.0.79
    Maps 9.45
    Google Play services 10.2
    Apps based on Unity 5 engine
    Last known compatible versions:
    Chrome 49.0
    Gboard 6.0.69
    Maps 9.44
    Google Play services 10.0.84

Well I had a backup from 2015 on the GTab and restored it but immediately the service updated itself and it began to crash.
    In the Above mentioned thread there was some1 writing
    This worked for me (for disabling Google Play Services auto-update) :
    - disconnect wifi
    - disable auto-update apps in Google Play Store
    - in Settings / Apps, GPS, 3-dots menu, Uninstall updates, so back to v10.0.84....
    - in App info, Data usage, disable Unrestricted data usage
    - reconnect wifi

Now GPS doesn't seem to auto-update anymore.
    Best regards

Sadly this does not seem to work for me. I was thinking about Titanium backup to freeze the GPS but I am not sure if this will work.

Also flashed manually a GApps Version which had the older play store in it but also got overwritten immediately :(

So have you encountered this issue and how did you fix it?
    Thanks
    Not Dead Yet

My p4wifi is working fine on the latest 7.1.1 ROM and the older GApps. Disabling automatic updates in the Play Store keeps regular apps from updating when we don't want them to.
    Disabling the background data settings in Apps.... Google Play Services... Settings keeps GPS from updating itself.
    (I'm not sure that I made the settings change in Developer Options or not.)

It might be worth reading through the posts in the 7.1.1 thread.

I can afford a new tablet, but cannot find anything this size that keeps the ROM current with Google releases.
    (I also do not play games or need esoteric applications.)

Don't give up yet.