[SFOS] [P3100] [DEV ONLY] SailfishOS for Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 v2.0.0.10

Are you interested in trying out operating Systems other than Android ?

• Total voters
Search This thread

adeen-s

Jul 5, 2013
Sailfish OS’s heritage lies in Nokia times, especially in the MeeGo operating system. Prior to 2011 Nokia and Intel had a vision of an open mobile operating system. Together they invested around 1 billion USD to the project and created an open source based operating system called MeeGo, which was used as a basis for several devices, such as the iconic Nokia N9. Although the Nokia N9 became the beacon of open source operating systems, Nokia decided to end the project and chose instead to continue with Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS. The rest of that is another story.

This ROM for Galaxy Tab 2 is a port of SailfishOS on our beloved device. This is my first ever project on any sort of development and I would appreciate positive criticism. I hope you like it.

Disclaimer ->
You will solely be responsible for any consequences arising out of following this guide. Your device may become permanently unusable or unstable. This guide is for experienced users only that know their way around a typical Linux system. The linked zip contains some proprietary software. All trademarks and copyrights belong to their respective owners.

Prerequisites for installation ->
1) Rooted P3100. Instruction for rooting can be found in the forum. I have not tried on other models but braver souls may go ahead at their own risk.
2) Latest TWRP recovery for P3100. Can be found in the forum.
2) Official CM 11. Download from official Cyanogenmod website. Check which works for you but must be based on Android 4.4 KitKat.
3) SailfishOS zip file for P3100. Linked below.
4) The knowledge of using either telnet or ssh to access the device. ADB does not work.
5) Patience. The installation will take a lot more time than a regular Android ROM.

Installation ->
1) Copy the Cyanogenmod and the SailfishOS zip to your sdcard.
2) Boot to recovery. Wipe System, Cache, Dalvik Cache and the internal storage. Wiping internal storage is not at all necessary but still recommended.
3) Flash Cyanogenmod zip file.
4) Immediately after the installation of cyanogenmod succeeds, flash the SailfishOS zip file.
5) The installation of SailfishOS will take some time. Reboot to system after the installation succeeds.

Known Bugs ->
1) Videos cannot be played. I'm hoping to fix that in the next update but it will take some time. At least a month.
2) The native browser does not work in the correct orientation. The touchscreen and the display are perpendicular to each other in the browser.
3) Camera does not work. The error is similar to video playback.
4) Bluetooth may work. Has not been properly tested.
5) The Jolla Store cannot be used for downloading applications.
6) Cellular Data and Voice Calling have not been tested but most probably, they will not work. It may work on some devices.
7) GPS will not work.
8) MTP doesn't work. Need to boot to recovery to mount as MTP.
9) USB Keyboards will not work. I can change it but then ONLY USB keyboards will work.

What is Working ->
1) Audio playback.
2) Third party browsers.
3) The Warehouse store can be used for installing apps.
4) Wi-Fi is perfectly working.

To telnet into the device, run " telnet 192.168.2.15 2323 "
the default root password is " nemo " which can be changed from settings.

Instructions for installing Warehouse store for downloading apps ->
Warehouse is the community driven app store for SailfishOS.
It can be downloaded from https://openrepos.net/sites/default/files/packages/1/harbour-warehouse-0.3-30.armv7hl.rpm

After Downloading, copy the file to the internal storage via USB from recovery.
then telnet or ssh into the device and execute this
" pkcon install-local /path/to/file "

It can then be used to install apps for the device.

LINKS ->
SailfishOS

The md5 sum is 559c8a898d141571c9f43d4343413f05

I would like to thank the following ( in no particular order) ->
The Cyanogenmod Team.
@sledges
@mal-
@Ghosalmartin
@drfaustraull
@androidandi
@orokusaki @ketut.kumajaya
All the remaining porters of SailfishOS for their support.

If anyone is interested in porting SailfishOS to their device, join us on the freenode irc at #sailfishos-porters

eea1a3dc41e7dd6cedd68cd9ed613f1e.jpg

Last edited:

adeen-s

Jul 5, 2013
Wow, thank you! I heard so much about this OS but i never had a device it worked on. Thanks for bringing this to my old tab!

I can try it on a GT-P5100 also?
Thanks for trying it. Please report any other bugs you find for future updates. Since the hardware is pretty much the same, you can go ahead. But you will need to change it to look better on the bigger display. Go to this link -> http://piratepad.net/hadk-faq
Go to line number 256 and follow the guide to change pixel ratio.

Last edited:

anonymous8

Jan 6, 2014
ea31c1ad6259551abe2507a4d1ec0f0c.jpg

This is something super exciting and awesome.

I read about it on sailfishos.org. It was cool.

Its videos and reviews were great.

Posts some screen shots of this out of the line OS on our tab.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 3G using Tapatalk

sergio_f

Sep 2, 2009
i know that, i have too, but that is a windows showing the android base running, i mean apks, official devices can run android apks

adeen-s

Jul 5, 2013
i know that, i have too, but that is a windows showing the android base running, i mean apks, official devices can run android apks
That is not possible due to licensing issues of alien dalvik. Currently, this is the only way of running Android apps on Sailfish. It may however be possible to have a better system if shashlik is ported to Sailfish.
Check this out ->
http://xdaforums.com/jolla-sailfish/general/alien-dalvik-licensing-issue-t2694127

Last edited:
Reactions: Az-09

mze1

Dec 26, 2013
WoW more things for my old p3100.. Great stuff @adeen-s, hopefully this will reach to bug-free in the near future... :p

Keep up the good work...

Reactions: anonymous8

iamashwin

Mar 21, 2013
Mysore
Realme 2 pro
Just a small question(a little off topic).. why is this built upon cm11 when SFOS is supposed to be an os built from scratch (i mean not based on android at all)

adeen-s

Jul 5, 2013
Just a small question(a little off topic).. why is this built upon cm11 when SFOS is supposed to be an os built from scratch (i mean not based on android at all)
SailfishOS is indeed not based on Android. The CM base is needed basically for hardware dependencies since its easier for Android to interact with the hardware on this device.

The Jolla phone and tablet built for SFOS do not require the Android libraries.

Reactions: Az-09 and iamashwin

saneet

Oct 28, 2011
Nashik
Hello,
I tried it on, and works pretty well. But the warehouse can't be installed. It requires some library "libsailfishapp.so.1". Any fix? I'd really like to try media and other apps.

Reactions: Az-09

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sailfish OS’s heritage lies in Nokia times, especially in the MeeGo operating system. Prior to 2011 Nokia and Intel had a vision of an open mobile operating system. Together they invested around 1 billion USD to the project and created an open source based operating system called MeeGo, which was used as a basis for several devices, such as the iconic Nokia N9. Although the Nokia N9 became the beacon of open source operating systems, Nokia decided to end the project and chose instead to continue with Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS. The rest of that is another story.

This ROM for Galaxy Tab 2 is a port of SailfishOS on our beloved device. This is my first ever project on any sort of development and I would appreciate positive criticism. I hope you like it.

Disclaimer ->
    You will solely be responsible for any consequences arising out of following this guide. Your device may become permanently unusable or unstable. This guide is for experienced users only that know their way around a typical Linux system. The linked zip contains some proprietary software. All trademarks and copyrights belong to their respective owners.

Prerequisites for installation ->
    1) Rooted P3100. Instruction for rooting can be found in the forum. I have not tried on other models but braver souls may go ahead at their own risk.
    2) Latest TWRP recovery for P3100. Can be found in the forum.
    2) Official CM 11. Download from official Cyanogenmod website. Check which works for you but must be based on Android 4.4 KitKat.
    3) SailfishOS zip file for P3100. Linked below.
    4) The knowledge of using either telnet or ssh to access the device. ADB does not work.
    5) Patience. The installation will take a lot more time than a regular Android ROM.

Installation ->
    1) Copy the Cyanogenmod and the SailfishOS zip to your sdcard.
    2) Boot to recovery. Wipe System, Cache, Dalvik Cache and the internal storage. Wiping internal storage is not at all necessary but still recommended.
    3) Flash Cyanogenmod zip file.
    4) Immediately after the installation of cyanogenmod succeeds, flash the SailfishOS zip file.
    5) The installation of SailfishOS will take some time. Reboot to system after the installation succeeds.

Known Bugs ->
    1) Videos cannot be played. I'm hoping to fix that in the next update but it will take some time. At least a month.
    2) The native browser does not work in the correct orientation. The touchscreen and the display are perpendicular to each other in the browser.
    3) Camera does not work. The error is similar to video playback.
    4) Bluetooth may work. Has not been properly tested.
    5) The Jolla Store cannot be used for downloading applications.
    6) Cellular Data and Voice Calling have not been tested but most probably, they will not work. It may work on some devices.
    7) GPS will not work.
    8) MTP doesn't work. Need to boot to recovery to mount as MTP.
    9) USB Keyboards will not work. I can change it but then ONLY USB keyboards will work.

What is Working ->
    1) Audio playback.
    2) Third party browsers.
    3) The Warehouse store can be used for installing apps.
    4) Wi-Fi is perfectly working.

To telnet into the device, run " telnet 192.168.2.15 2323 "
    the default root password is " nemo " which can be changed from settings.

Instructions for installing Warehouse store for downloading apps ->
    Warehouse is the community driven app store for SailfishOS.
    It can be downloaded from https://openrepos.net/sites/default/files/packages/1/harbour-warehouse-0.3-30.armv7hl.rpm

After Downloading, copy the file to the internal storage via USB from recovery.
    then telnet or ssh into the device and execute this
    " pkcon install-local /path/to/file "

It can then be used to install apps for the device.

LINKS ->
    SailfishOS

The md5 sum is 559c8a898d141571c9f43d4343413f05

I would like to thank the following ( in no particular order) ->
    The Cyanogenmod Team.
    @sledges
    @mal-
    @Ghosalmartin
    @drfaustraull
    @androidandi
    @orokusaki @ketut.kumajaya
    All the remaining porters of SailfishOS for their support.

If anyone is interested in porting SailfishOS to their device, join us on the freenode irc at #sailfishos-porters

eea1a3dc41e7dd6cedd68cd9ed613f1e.jpg
    adeen-s,dude!)
    Nice rom! When you fix bugs?
    I'm working on them. It will take at least two more weeks.
    im trying this Rom so i hope i will be good..
    It's not meant as a daily driver but you can expect a new version with bugs fixed soon.
    Hello,
    I tried it on, and works pretty well. But the warehouse can't be installed. It requires some library "libsailfishapp.so.1". Any fix? I'd really like to try media and other apps.
    sorry for that. Try this " zypper install libsailfishapp " from the local terminal or via ssh. That should do the trick.
    SailfishOS is indeed not based on Android. The CM base is needed basically for hardware dependencies since its easier for Android to interact with the hardware on this device.

The Jolla phone and tablet built for SFOS do not require the Android libraries.