[RECOVERY][MagiskROOT][TWRP]Sprint Galaxy Tab A 10.1 SM-T587P(gtaxlqltespr)QI1 Nougat

Search This thread

jerryspring

Feb 18, 2018
Twrp link is updated.....

Edit.. just downloaded it
was this tablet ever shipped with an unlocked bootloader or did we have to unlock it ourselves? I am asking because I don't think my friend unlocked the bootloader when he tried this thread cuz it caused a soft brick.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Try pulling battery for 30 seconds... "its possible" I've done it. Also, there used to be a trick with the galaxy note 4, to get the emmc to read/write better/faster. I dont recall exactly how to do it, maybe that's the case.

Personally, my tab's screen has went blank on me twice(similar to your friends, because It would only show something on screen while plugged in) pulling the battery fixed my issue. Could have bad connection @ emmc module . It's worth a shot.

Also, I pm'd aryln about twrp link.... I'll let you know when/if I hear back

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Are you only flashing ap?

Have you entered all,,, ap,bl,cp,csc & what happened then?

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Ok, reading back thru latest posts , now I'm confused! You said you flashed stock recovery & also twrp.....
1st off, there isnt another twrp for this model other than arylns.
2nd...what do u mean by flashed stock recovery?
3rd what odin version are you using?
I tried using stock recovery tar from this thread and another from a different variant. No dice. I replied to the last post u posted...about bootloader...can I have some insight. Thanks

KR34T1V

Feb 17, 2022
If anyone is still active or cares, I have created a root Boot.tar file using Magisk that can be flashed on the latest build. I couldn't find one anywhere else so I just made my own, and figured I would share.
I just tried flashing the old twrp to a tablet with the latest firmware trying to get root access, and it is stuck in a rebooting cycle as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread. The tablet keeps restarting and only shows "Set Warranty Bit : recovery" before rebooting again. there is a brief moment right before it reboots where I can see the color scheme from twrp. But I am not able to enter recovery mode.

I have tried the suggestions power + volume down + home to enter download mode but the cycle continues...
I am now curious about the new boot.tar you posted. I am not very well versed in the modding community so the use of it is not too obvious to me.

Do you flash the boot.tar onto the device using odin? or is it intended to be installed through twrp (which I have not been able to get working)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

KR34T1V

Feb 17, 2022
I forgot to uncheck the auto reboot and now im stuck on "set warranty bit recovery " - Does anyone know how to get to the downloader mode without the power + vol down + home button? (or another ways to fix the recovery loop)
I managed to achieve the same thing, and now no matter the combinations I use I am stuck with my device rebooting over and over, unable to get into download mode.

Next up is to leave it until the vibration motors drain the battery and try again over usb...

arlyn

Jan 16, 2011
i have to say, its really interesting that so many people <s> have such an interest in obtaining and rooting a 6 year old nougat tablet in 2022</s> are flashing roots and recoveries for something that is clearly not the same device just because it says Tab A.

KR34T1V

Feb 17, 2022
i have to say, its really interesting that so many people <s> have such an interest in obtaining and rooting a 6 year old nougat tablet in 2022</s> are flashing roots and recoveries for something that is clearly not the same device just because it says Tab A.
Got it second hand, 2016 sprint model SM-587P. Pretty sure this is the same model no?

Last edited:

KR34T1V

Feb 17, 2022
I managed to achieve the same thing, and now no matter the combinations I use I am stuck with my device rebooting over and over, unable to get into download mode.

Next up is to leave it until the vibration motors drain the battery and try again over usb...
This seemed to do the trick, I let the battery run off over night and was able to get back into download mode when powering it back on.

corollagtssrx

Sep 22, 2008
Lol, I just picked one of these up and had the same thing happen, but just reflashed the original ROM and it worked:
Went through the process again, Flashed TWRP with Odin, Flashed that custom bootloader referenced in post 1 (from twrp? can't remember), formatted the data partition (like mentioned in post 1). Haven't gotten root yet, that one phh superuser apk was causing me to start from the beginning...

corollagtssrx

Sep 22, 2008
I'm still looking for a custom rom for this thing to make it faster. I may end up creating an up-to-date TWRP and maybe LineageOS image, but I've never done that before so....bricked device, HERE I COME!

(anyone who want's to point me in the right direction, help would be much appreciated)

corollagtssrx

Sep 22, 2008

I have been having good luck with holding Power, Vol -, and Home, then the second it reboots, switching over to Power, Vol +, and Home, then I can get into Download mode.

The TWRP listed here is the ONLY one I have gotten to work. I might be stupid, but I couldn't find the SPR version on the TWRP website anywhere and nothing else that I have tried has worked.

KR34T1V

Feb 17, 2022
I have been having good luck with holding Power, Vol -, and Home, then the second it reboots, switching over to Power, Vol +, and Home, then I can get into Download mode.

The TWRP listed here is the ONLY one I have gotten to work. I might be stupid, but I couldn't find the SPR version on the TWRP website anywhere and nothing else that I have tried has worked.
Mmm that is very interesting I also tried switching from vol - to vol + as you described but it did not seem to respond to that.

I also did not manage to find this TWRP version anywhere else. My device has received the latest update to 8.1.0 and when I tried loading the TWRP from the 1st post it started looping and rebooting all the time, I may give it another go seeing as you have had some success.

I just want root to remove all this bloat

corollagtssrx

Sep 22, 2008
Mmm that is very interesting I also tried switching from vol - to vol + as you described but it did not seem to respond to that.

I also did not manage to find this TWRP version anywhere else. My device has received the latest update to 8.1.0 and when I tried loading the TWRP from the 1st post it started looping and rebooting all the time, I may give it another go seeing as you have had some success.

I just want root to remove all this bloat

Yeah, just make sure you install that other boot loader and reformat that data partition (will erase your data). Then it worked for me! I am running the v7 though, not v8...not sure if that will change anything....

zeek4343

Oct 10, 2017
I just tried flashing the old twrp to a tablet with the latest firmware trying to get root access, and it is stuck in a rebooting cycle as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread. The tablet keeps restarting and only shows "Set Warranty Bit : recovery" before rebooting again. there is a brief moment right before it reboots where I can see the color scheme from twrp. But I am not able to enter recovery mode.

I have tried the suggestions power + volume down + home to enter download mode but the cycle continues...
I am now curious about the new boot.tar you posted. I am not very well versed in the modding community so the use of it is not too obvious to me.

Do you flash the boot.tar onto the device using odin? or is it intended to be installed through twrp (which I have not been able to get working)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
watch the youtube video for 'battery replacement' so you can see how to get the back cover off. get the cover off, pull the tape off the battery cable and lift the flap gently then unplug the battery. when you plug it back in you can start it in download mode and flash the factory build.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for the Sprint SM-T587P "gtaxlqltespr" Galaxy Tab A 10.1 variant only.

As far as I can tell, the Nougat update came out for the Sprint Variant sometime around the 20th of September 2017. Update to the T587PVPU1BQI1 Nougat update if you have not already.

1. Read all instructions, there are no known issues. Be on 7.0.0 official. (QI1)
    2 Enable Developer Options. Settings, About Device, Software info, tap on build number until it is enabled.
    3. Enable OEM unlock and USB Debugging in the Developer Options menu.

There are a couple options here. You can do any combination of the following:
    install TWRP
    root via superuser (requires installing TWRP)
    disable dm-verity (requires installing TWRP)
    root by flashing magisk patched bootimage (does not require TWRP)
    disable force-encryption (requires installing twrp)(required if you want TWRP to see /data/ files)(not required for flashing zips such as superuser through TWRP)

To install TWRP:
    1. Boot into download mode
    2. Launch ODIN, Uncheck "Auto Reboot" in the options tab. Flash included TWRP file in the AP section of ODIN.

To Disable Force-Encryption (if want to see /data/ in twrp)
    1. Install TWRP recovery
    2 Boot into TWRP recovery
    3. Format Data
    4. Reboot into TWRP from TWRP reboot menu, without rebooting into system.
    5. Flash the included superuser.zip to disable force-encryption and dm-verity

To Root via superuser or disable dm-verity
    1. Install TWRP recovery.
    2. Boot into TWRP recovery
    3. flash superuser.zip (this needs to be done with ADB if you have not disabled force-encryption and are unable to see /data/)
    Superuser root provided as-is. Magisk is the recommended root. If you prefer the outdated, beta, un-updatable phh superuser binary which breaks safetynet that's all you. However it is the only way i have found to disable dm-verity.

Magisk v16 root:
    Device is stock
    If you have not installed twrp, disabled dm-verity, or disabled force encryption:
    1. Boot into Download Mode
    2. Use the AP section of ODIN to install "fe-dm-patched_boot.img.tar"

Disabled dm-verity, but NOT force-encryption
    If you did not format DATA in TWRP and have installed superuser.zip using ADB:
    2. Use the AP section of ODIN to install "fe-patched_boot.img.tar"

Disabled Both
    If you disabled dm-verity AND disabled force-encryption:
    2. Use the AP section of ODIN to install "Magiskv16_patched_boot.img.tar"

WIFI IS NOW WORKING AFTER ROOT/BOOT PATCH

Recovery: twrp-3.1.1-0-gtaxlqltespr.tar
    phh's Superuser.zip
    fe-dm-patched_boot.img.tar
    fe-patched_boot.img.tar
    Magiskv16_patched_boot.img.tar
    Magisk Manager 5.6.1(105)
    XposedInstaller_3.1.4_Magisk.apk
    Stock 7.0.0 boot image
    Stock 7.0.0 Recovery
    phh's Superuser
    Nougat Firmware
    AP
    BP
    CP
    CSC
    Flash the latest Supersu beta V2.82 sr4. That should give root and no issues with wifi.
    Also note to the author. You should post the device this post refers to as there are several Tab A devices.
    Gonna try it now!!! Been waiting for along time.... thanks

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note5 using XDA Labs
    THANK YOU!!!!!! this is working great so far. the only question i have is ......have you found a way to get the hotspot/wifi working yet?
    If anyone is still active or cares, I have created a root Boot.tar file using Magisk that can be flashed on the latest build. I couldn't find one anywhere else so I just made my own, and figured I would share.