FORUMS

[ROM][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] Nexus Stock for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510]

563 posts
Thanks Meter: 468

Post Reply Email Thread
Nexus Logo

Well, we're finally getting some relatively stable builds of AOSP GSIs and OpenGApps for Android 10.0, so here's my first effort at migrating the Nexus Stock custom ROM for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.0 [SM-T510] to the latest Android OS release. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
  • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
  • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the February 2020 Update (T510XXS3ATE3) for the SM-T510.
  • The system is based on @AndyYan's LineageOS 17.1 GSI with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
  • Boot logo and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
  • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
  • I've dialed back most of scary bootloader warnings and Knox Security branding from the boot sequence.
  • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
  • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
  • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
SM-T510:
Change Log:
20200713:
  • Based on the latest build of LineageOS 17.1 GSI (20200713).
  • Updated to the OEM May 2020 Security Update (T510XXS3ATE3) kernel and vendor partition.
  • Updated to latest release of OpenGapps (20200711) with July 2020 security patch.
20200413:
  • Fixed Double Tap to Wake feature (enabled in Phh Treble Settings).
  • Fixed crash on first two attempts to launch Phh Treble Settings.
  • Based on the latest build of LineageOS 17.1 GSI (20200413).
  • Updated to the OEM T510XXS3ATB4 kernel and vendor partition.
  • Updated to latest release of OpenGapps (20200409-TEST), with private fix for Chrome issue.
20200314:
  • Fixed potential image corruption issue from outdated img2simg command.
20200312:
  • Now based on the latest build of LineageOS 17.1 GSI (20200309).
  • Uses v703 build of Pixel Launcher with 6x6 and 7x7 icon profiles migrated from the Android One Launcher.
  • Charging after full shutdown will no longer hang during level-of-charge animation.
  • MTP file transfers no longer require USB Debugging to be enabled.
20200223:
  • Initial build based on T510XXU2ASK5 kernel (November 2019 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v212.
  • Latest Google apps from OpenGApps (20200216-TEST)

Instructions:
From OEM stock firmware:
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
  • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
  • When TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
  • Reboot to system
From existing TWRP install:
  • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
  • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
  • Reboot to system

Source:
Donations:
  • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
  • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.jpg
Views:	3170
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	4957357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200312-215010_Pixel_Launcher.jpg
Views:	2626
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	4970149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200312-215254_Pixel_Launcher.jpg
Views:	2622
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	4970151  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Magendanz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Magendanz Ad-Free
24th February 2020, 05:56 PM |#2  
Flag Tirana
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magendanz

Nexus Logo

Well, we're finally getting some relatively stable builds of AOSP GSIs and OpenGApps for Android 10.0, so here's my first effort at migrating the Nexus Stock custom ROM for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.0 [SM-T510] to the latest Android OS release. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
  • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
  • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the November 2019 Update (T510XXU2ASK5) for the SM-T510.
  • The system is based on @phhusson's AOSP 10.0 GSI with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
  • Boot logo and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
  • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
  • I've dialed back most of scary bootloader warnings and Knox Security branding from the boot sequence.
  • This is using the Pixel Launcher, but home screen layout is not ideal for this device and I may switch back to the Android One Launcher.
  • The properties now correctly identify the device as a tablet, and so the Google Dialer and Messenger are no longer installed. I've also disabled the Emergency button, but SetupWizard still insists on reminding you to insert a SIM (sigh!).
  • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
  • Double-tap to wake
  • Support for file-based encryption
  • MTP currently requires USB Debugging to be enabled.
  • Charging after full shutdown will hang during level-of-charge animation.

Downloads:
SM-T510:
Change Log:
20200223:
  • Initial build based on T510XXU2ASK5 kernel (November 2019 Update) and AOSP 10.0 v212.
  • Latest Google apps from OpenGApps (20200216-TEST)

Instructions:
From OEM stock firmware:
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
  • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
  • When TWRP launches, wipe data if installing for first time. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
  • Reboot to system
From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
  • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
  • Reboot to system

Source:
Donations:
  • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
  • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show him some love here!

That was quick . I just bought a SM-T510 and will wait a bit before installing this ROM. Thanks for the great work.
24th February 2020, 06:27 PM |#3  
Flag Nice
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Thanks for this new ROM !
Quick questions:
1. does it support exFAT FS on µSD card ?
2. will a dirty flash over the original Nexus work ?
24th February 2020, 06:46 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
THANK YOU
Code:
@Magendanz
!!

All your roms are solid, especially your MECOOL tvstock roms!

Is this (or chance of) a 64bit ROM?
The Following User Says Thank You to mrlaugh01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrlaugh01 Ad-Free
24th February 2020, 07:45 PM |#5  
Houston
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Thanks for the update. It's installed including Magisk and Multidisabler. I am successfully rooted and checking things out. No issues so far. Great work.
The Following User Says Thank You to zzjea For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zzjea Ad-Free
25th February 2020, 09:07 AM |#6  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 296

More
Did the upgrade from the previous 9.0 rom (20191109) with the TWRP version.

I'm getting android.process.acore crashes on the home screen flashing up constantly.
So far I've tried wiping the caches but still happening.

edit: did a full wipe and it's gone away. Now to reinstall everything...
26th February 2020, 01:51 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Issaquah, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkernan

edit: did a full wipe and it's gone away. Now to reinstall everything...

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I don't recommend a dirty flash from Android Pie. Please do a factory wipe.

You should be fine doing incremental updates on Android 10 later, though.
26th February 2020, 02:03 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Issaquah, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsabords

Does it support exFAT FS on µSD card?

Initial testing with exFAT looks promising. I just formatted a 64GB µSD card as exFAT on my PC and was able to play a 2.0 GB video file from it on the SM-T510 with no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magendanz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Magendanz Ad-Free
26th February 2020, 10:54 PM |#9  
Flag Alps
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:

Initial testing with exFAT looks promising. I just formatted a 64GB µSD card as exFAT on my PC and was able to play a 2.0 GB video file from it on the SM-T510 with no problems.

Great news
If it all goes well maybe you can add exFAT to some futute version of your LOS 16 ROM as well?
Currently on your LOS 16 ROM - works perfectly only missing exFAT...
27th February 2020, 09:45 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

Thank you so much for this ROM!!!! The tablet feels like a complete new device. No lags, no slowdowns etc., the performance is just incredible compared to the Stock ROM and it's themeable with Swift Installer. I can't thank you enough... well sure I can... drink some beer or coffee with the 10 bucks I donated, you really deserved it.
I'm looking forward to the next releases, I hope you can iron out the things like MTP needs USB debugging etc. and I have one little request for the end: would you mind making a lite version of this ROM with just the Pico GApps package? I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't need/want the whole GSuite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-141237.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	4959763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-141333.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	4959765  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeathMD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeathMD Ad-Free
29th February 2020, 11:59 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Issaquah, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMD

I have one little request for the end: would you mind making a lite version of this ROM with just the Pico GApps package?

My Nexus custom ROMs for media players usually include Nano and Stock (and TVStock) variants, but I intentionally released Stock only for this tablet to reduce my build times and storage footprint. Since you don't recover unused space from the system partition, it doesn't really hurt to have the extra Google apps, but I understand that it could take space from the user partition if you allowed them to be updated. With me just starting a new teaching job and working on a master's degree, I just haven't had any extra bandwidth, but I'll reevaluate in the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magendanz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Magendanz Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)