[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW

Search This thread

FirzaVista

Apr 11, 2011
Sidoarjo
I have Galaxy tab a 10.1 s pen P585Y using android 7.0 unlocked root with TWRP. I tried install this zip, but no result. There is no format as internal option at storage setting. How i can fix this problem?

Sorry bad english.

Fixed. it causes my sd card was formatted as ex-fat. so, when I format my sd card to fat32, it works. sorry about that.:)

Liviu89

Nov 20, 2017
Hi. I installed this patch on a Samsung A5(6) and it works but when I enter in "application" to "storage" to move an app I receive message " settings has stopped". What can I do or how can i uninstall this patch?

ssmaxwell220

Nov 26, 2017
Nougat 7.0

As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

This should work for pretty much any Samsung device running Marshmallow

I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Will this work on Nougat 7.0?

Jarvster3000

Jan 7, 2017
You Install twrp recovery and flash it with that not the TWRP app or use Flashfire.

This is the bit that is still flummuxing me. I have been trying to enable this patch for months on my galaxy tab s 10.5 but I just can't figure this TWRP recovery thing out. I have rooted my device, downloaded the TWRP app which I now understand is not the right TWRP thing. Is TWRP recovery an app? A program?

Update: So i tried Flash fire but when I flashed the ZIP patch it said the following on the reboot;

Unpacking the installer...
Running the boot image patcher...
- error : unable to find boot block location!
- Aborting...
Failed to patch boot image!

Update 2: I tried TWRP Manager. This appeared to allow me to install the ZIP patch but I can't see an option on storage screen allowing me to enable adoptable storage :(

Last edited:

JezReHoly

Dec 11, 2017
As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work on some Samsung devices.
Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.

NOTE: Due to Samsung's modifications the combined storage capacity may show as incorrect, ignore this and pay attention to the separate internal and external capacity which is correct.

INSTALL:

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

sir good day, i have a question. . is this safe for our device.? because last week i did flash this with my samsung j2 prime and it works. but yesterday my device got system error and can't continue to the system. i can't open the twrp too. is this the reason why i got the error? or maybe im wrong.?

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This worked perfectly on my mother-in-laws On5. Thank you so much!

My only concern now is what happens if she takes an OTA? Not only could it undo the patch, but wouldn't everything on it be orphaned? I could try and disable the updater, but while I have TWRP installed, I do not have SuperSU installed. I'd prefer to leave it way, since she's not tech-savvy and could potentially install/grant su to something malicious. Is there any way to disable OTAs from within TWRP, ie, by renaming an apk/file responsible for the update prompt?

Also, one thing I've noticed since the last time she updated, is the Play Store is gone. Is this a Samsung-trying-to-force-you-to-use-their-crap thing, or is it a glitch? Maybe the best solution here is to install a minimal gapps package from within TWRP?

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
This worked perfectly on my mother-in-laws On5. Thank you so much!

My only concern now is what happens if she takes an OTA? Not only could it undo the patch, but wouldn't everything on it be orphaned? I could try and disable the updater, but while I have TWRP installed, I do not have SuperSU installed. I'd prefer to leave it way, since she's not tech-savvy and could potentially install/grant su to something malicious. Is there any way to disable OTAs from within TWRP, ie, by renaming an apk/file responsible for the update prompt?

Also, one thing I've noticed since the last time she updated, is the Play Store is gone. Is this a Samsung-trying-to-force-you-to-use-their-crap thing, or is it a glitch? Maybe the best solution here is to install a minimal gapps package from within TWRP?
You won't be able to OTA as the device is modified.
Play store should still be there, it's unlikely it was removed. I doubt you will be able to install a GAPPS package without issues.
For what region is this device?

Reactions: Flapjack

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You won't be able to OTA as the device is modified.
Play store should still be there, it's unlikely it was removed. I doubt you will be able to install a GAPPS package without issues.
For what region is this device?
We're in the US, with the US T-Mobile phone. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what a POS this phone is... at least in stock forum. She barely has anything installed, with a few pictures from the camera, and she's always struggling with free space.

Play Store is nowhere to be found. Only thing there is the Samsung Store. I guess it's not an issue, as she really doesn't plan on installing anything else.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
We're in the US, with the US T-Mobile phone. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what a POS this phone is... at least in stock forum. She barely has anything installed, with a few pictures from the camera, and she's always struggling with free space.

Play Store is nowhere to be found. Only thing there is the Samsung Store. I guess it's not an issue, as she really doesn't plan on installing anything else.
Make sure there is a Google account on the device or some of the Gapps apps won't show.

Reactions: Flapjack

jnsnfl

Dec 20, 2017
Samsung Tab A 8" 2015 T350

Okay... I'm a noob at rooting a flashing an android device. Also, I realize this is an older post / thread and am hoping someone still monitors it.
I am a MacBookPro user (have been for +20 yrs) and am not uninitiated when it comes to doing core systems work. The point is most of the instructs are for Windows folk and I'm not in that group so I need a little help from some friends...

Previously my Tab A under Marshmallow had the Adoptable storage formatting capability but now that I have Nougat (7.1.1) I no long have that option and for some reason I can no longer execute the ADB commands through the developer options. Dilemma... I decided to clean up my device and reload doing a factory reset then updated with the new OS and boom.. no joy for me...

I've downloaded the latest heimdall 1.4.1 unoffical signed tool and successfully installed it.
I've downloaded the JODIN java front end for the heimdall tool and successfully installed it as well, but things appear less than helpful with untexted button objects.
I've downloaded the adoptable storage enabler crafted by @ashyx and have it unpacked.
I've downloaded the TWRP (not sure what it does) for both the marshmallow version 18317 and the T355 nougat version 251117 (both tar files).
Its been quite a while since I dealt with Unix/MaxOS file expansion and overwriting so I'm uber cautious to take the next steps as outlined below because I'm missing something in the translation.
The steps I'm expected to follow are:
1. Install most recent Heimdall from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265 SUCCESSFULLY DONE
2. Open Heimdall frontend from applications folder of your Mac. SUCCESSFULLY DONE
3. Put device into download mode with power+vol down+home. Will sometimes require multiple attempts. When successful you will see warning about adding custom software to your device. SUCCESSFULLY DONE
4. Click utilities tab of Heimdall and detect device. SUCCESSFULLY DONE
5. Download pit file to your Mac with the save as dialouge. NOPE?!
6. Click on flash tab of Heimdall. NOT HERE YET!!!
7. Select pit file you just created
8. Hit add partition select RECOVERY and then select the custom recovery you have already dowloaded from the other threads. Extract to .img before selecting the recovery though. Make sure repartition is NOT selected
9. I unchecked no reboot and resume. (Near bottom right by the start button)
10. Hit start.
11. Verify by restarting with power+vol up

The concerns I have are:
1) When I connect my device to my Mac I do get the "connected" green light in the ODIN / Heimdall tool. However I don't know how to copy out the TWRP boot loader from the device (which I presume I should do if I ever want to restore back).:eek:
2) I don't really know what the TWRP tar file is doing for me or how the storage enabler gets attached to it.:fingers-crossed:
3) I need more clear instruction on how the enabler and TWRP files become one new file that gets loaded to my device that then enables the format command to become adoptable storage (and that's the only thing it adds or alters in the boot loader).:crying:

Sorry for being the mental deficient in the room but I would like a touch more guidance..... :confused:

Please.....

zamin13

Mar 18, 2014
Can i just flash it with odin without twrp? cause my P355 model doesn't have twrp version for nougat. i alredy search it and found twrp for lollipop version.
i try to flash twrp for lollipop on my P355 nougat and show black screen when i want to accses twrp.
i doing this because i don't want to root my device.
for now I'm looking for a way to restore the recovery stock room due to the black screen.
do you have any advice for me? to recovery my stock room recovery or to solve the black screen problem? or can i flash the patch with odin?

fmflex

Jan 3, 2011
I have it working on a gTabA 8.0 2017. I initially soft bricked it due to the encrypted sd card but after restoring stock through odin, I reloaded twrp, flashed root, flashed the encrypted sd card patch from the OP. Flashing the patch in twrp didn't work for me but I was able to then do it via adb. I'm running 7.1.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well now it's back...

INSTALL:

Sorry to post this whole thread again, but an easier way for beginners is to use the Root Essentials tool in the Google Play Store.
    The link for the Root Essentials application.

I have personally used this on my own Samsung Device which runs on Marshmallow so far.
    It doesn't work or didn't work(until I released this patch) on all Samsung devices. It also requires a rooted device.
    Also how do you propose as easier, what is easier than flashing a zip in recovery?

Also please stop spamming my threads.
    It works!!!

Thanks!!!
    Sorry if I have spammed your threads by reposting what you have already said or stuff you have released, but I have tried the Root Essentials method on about ten Samsung Devices. It does require a rooted device which is actually true. But flashing a device will require a custom recovery because Samsung Stock Recoveries cannot actually process these flash files by itself. So, one way or another, you will have a custom firmware running even though you just want to have adoptable storage.
    Here's the flow:

Root essentials - Twrp>root>install root essentials>run app

Adoptable patch - TWRP> install patch

Also as I already stated, even if it does work now(after releasing this patch), root essentials only originally worked for Samsung S7 devices and not for most other Samsung devices.
    100% stock. No patches or apps
    So you're saying Samsung are now including adoptable storage as standard?
    I have not seen this news posted anywhere. [emoji55]

What is the build number of this firmware?