FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Officially my Tab S3 has died (Screen of death)

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By Daruniafx, Member on 8th November 2017, 07:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I charge my tablet once or twice a week, however, since a week ago my tablet did not turn on after leaving it for a week without charging.

The tablet does not charge, does not turn on and I have tried:
- Different cables.
- Different chargers (official too)
- Direct charging from a computer.
- All possible button combinations.
- Leave it charging all night.

After all the above, still not working. But if I leaving it charging for more than an hour, the back feels a little warm, but does not give any signs of life, it has totally stock rom, never rooted.

Samsung refuse to repair because I loose my proof of purchase, fortunately I still kept my old tab s2

Now, I´m selling it for parts on ebay.

9th November 2017, 10:40 AM |#2  
Flag Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daruniafx

I charge my tablet once or twice a week, however, since a week ago my tablet did not turn on after leaving it for a week without charging.

The tablet does not charge, does not turn on and I have tried:
- Different cables.
- Different chargers (official too)
- Direct charging from a computer.
- All possible button combinations.
- Leave it charging all night.

After all the above, still not working. But if I leaving it charging for more than an hour, the back feels a little warm, but does not give any signs of life, it has totally stock rom, never rooted.

Samsung refuse to repair because I loose my proof of purchase, fortunately I still kept my old tab s2

Now, I´m selling it for parts on ebay.

I just had this same issue, Samsung did fix mine though.. it was the LCD waiting on them to return it back to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to treo4life For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift treo4life Ad-Free
9th November 2017, 01:16 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Antiguo Cuscatlán

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treo4life

I just had this same issue, Samsung did fix mine though.. it was the LCD waiting on them to return it back to me.

Wow, it sound like LCD issues, very simillar to LG G4 with his screen of death, I'm stay with my S2 for some time and see if it is a extended issue or my tab was the lucky one (ironic mode).
15th November 2017, 01:08 PM |#4  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,161

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daruniafx

Wow, it sound like LCD issues, very simillar to LG G4 with his screen of death, I'm stay with my S2 for some time and see if it is a extended issue or my tab was the lucky one (ironic mode).

Two reports after it has been on the market for nine months doesn't mean the sky is falling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BarryH_GEG Ad-Free
15th November 2017, 11:27 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Antiguo Cuscatlán

More
Two reports on XDA... probably I´m paranoid. I just wait, the tab s3 its a beautifull tab, thanks for your reply.
20th November 2017, 03:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I had same experience for a moment. Then I realised that I had set my tab for minimum brightness while being in a bright room. One may laugh, but it is very difficult to distinguish if you have black wallpaper.
24th November 2017, 12:19 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Mine would not boot, the screen did work though, I could go into download mode and everything.
Sent it in for replacement and they replaced the motherboard and the screen.
Either they were lazy to see that the screen worked, or there is a screen problem that can cause many problems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
14th December 2017, 05:18 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Add me to the list of issues. Tablet wouldn't turn on after being dead for a few days. Let it charge overnight with no luck. I can feel it's on after hitting the power button because touching the screen causes it to vibrate as if I'm entering a wrong passcode on the lock screen. Has to be something wrong with the OLED panel.

Edit: Sent the device to Samsung. They are replacing the screen assembly and motherboard just as they did with the other poster in this thread. I hope this doesn't become a widespread issue.
20th February 2018, 03:24 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I was taking my tablet out from a very tight case. After doing so, my screen went black, no video. Sent it in to be repaired. Due to being an intern9model, they refused to touch it. When I got it back, I prayed and slightly bend it in the center of the tablet. Voila, screen came back on!
11th March 2018, 08:11 AM |#10  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Lightbulb Possible Black Screen of Death Solution
The link below is obviously a "shill post" from the makers of "phone recovery software" trying to sell it to you, but they have a page that talks about how to recover from the "Black Screen of Death".

[Solved] How to Fix A Samsung Tablet with Black Screen
"Usually on a phone that packs a removable battery, you can take out the battery and put it back in to solve the problem. But since tablet doesn’t have a removable one, this does not work for you.
In this case, just make sure that your tablet is completely turned off and then boot the device into recovery mode by holding Home, Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time for a few seconds. Then you can solve the issue manually."

Similar post on the Samsung Community Forums with a slight difference.
Galaxy Tab S3 will not switch on!
They say the same thing but say to use just Power and Volume Down for 7 seconds.

Even better, I found a confirming post on ifixit site. I trust ifixit a little more myself...
Galaxy tab 3, screen has power but is black.
This solution says to use Power and both Vol + and - at the same time.

I don't have this tablet but am thinking about getting it (less so now that I found this thread (Black Screen of Death? Yikes!)). Posting this info here on the hope that it helps someone else with this issue. If you try this solution, *PLEASE* post a reply and indicate whether it worked or not so others know if this solution is worth anything or not.
12th March 2018, 04:23 PM |#11  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I've had my Tab S3 since August of 2017 and no issues. It is a work horse especially on the road (business travel).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)