FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Physical vs on-screen keyboard issue

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By vfrkids, Junior Member on 7th September 2019, 02:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi Guys, just getting acclimated to the S6, so far so good but one nagging issue.

I can't get the on-screen keyboard to display when needed with the physical keyboard attached. Lemme explain...

Sitting with device on my lap, keyboard folded all the way back. It is rightly disabled in this position so for any inputs I would need the on-screen keyboard (Ideally this would happen automatically since the physical keyboard is disabled)

I have 'Language and Input->Keyboards->Show Keyboard Button' set On, so I have the little keyboard button on the bottom right of the screen when an input field is active. I would expect press the button, select a keyboard and then see it.

But all the keyboard button does is pop up a selection dialogue with available keyboards (even if Samsung Keyboard is the only one), and when I make a choice, the dialogue disappears and then...nothing. This is where I expect the on-screen keyboard to come up but it just doesn't.

I've tried removing all other keyboards with just Samsung Keyboard remaining, same behavior.

I don't want to resort to removing the physical keyboard every time, or setting Physical Keyboard->Show On-Screen Keyboard to On because if I am using the physical keyboard I don't want to be constantly seeing and closing the on-screen verson.

Seems like a bug unless I'm missing something. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard
7th September 2019, 06:04 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
In Dex Mode you have this keyboard button - to show the software keyboard even when the physical keyboard is attached.

7th September 2019, 10:21 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by techops

In Dex Mode you have this keyboard button - to show the software keyboard even when the physical keyboard is attached.

don't believe he is talking about DEX.

Ive not found a similar button for normal android mode.
7th September 2019, 11:10 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I am having the same issue. In tablet mode with the keyboard folded behind the tablet I cannot figure out a way to get a keyboard on the screen. The physical keyboard is disabled like this because it does not enter text. Hitting the small keyboard button in the bottom right brings up google voice, samsung keyboard, and samsung voice. Samsung keyboard is selected but no keyboard appears. Looks like from that there "should" be a keyboard. Im thinking this is a bug.
8th September 2019, 04:17 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
OP here. A "Samsung Care Ambassador" provided very good feedback on a similar thread I started in the Samsung support forums. I'm too new here so can't post links but in Samsung -> Support -> Community search for the thread titled "Problem with Tab S6 Physical vs On-Screen Keyboard" to see the whole story. If someone here with >10 posts could reply with the link it will be easier for others here to view it.

Appreciate the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Knot

I am having the same issue. In tablet mode with the keyboard folded behind the tablet I cannot figure out a way to get a keyboard on the screen. The physical keyboard is disabled like this because it does not enter text. Hitting the small keyboard button in the bottom right brings up google voice, samsung keyboard, and samsung voice. Samsung keyboard is selected but no keyboard appears. Looks like from that there "should" be a keyboard. Im thinking this is a bug.

8th September 2019, 06:10 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Here is the link to the Samsung community:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...rd/td-p/822651

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrkids

OP here. A "Samsung Care Ambassador" provided very good feedback on a similar thread I started in the Samsung support forums. I'm too new here so can't post links but in Samsung -> Support -> Community search for the thread titled "Problem with Tab S6 Physical vs On-Screen Keyboard" to see the whole story. If someone here with >10 posts could reply with the link it will be easier for others here to view it. Appreciate the replies.

8th September 2019, 05:57 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thank you for posting that !
19th September 2019, 06:43 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I solved this by going to Settings - General Management - Language and Input - Physical Keyboard and turning on Show on-screen Keyboard. That seemed to work for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes