FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

how to root tab s6 [sm-t860]

283 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By ziotom2, Senior Member on 1st September 2019, 06:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
this guide works perfectly with sm-t860 (only root not custom recovery). in case you need....

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...te-10-t3960031
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziotom2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ziotom2 Ad-Free

1st September 2019, 08:59 PM |#2  
Flag Madison, AL
Thanks Meter: 190

Donate to Me
More
How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??
2nd September 2019, 06:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwils3

How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It's only to root (Pretty standard procedure--looks similar the one for the S5e https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab...oot-t3947806). Please correct me if I wrong.
2nd September 2019, 07:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Must be same. But this root has small advantages for me. Except adaway i not see what to use it more
So not for now.
5th September 2019, 11:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
THANKS ITIS WORKING WITH ME
MY TAB S6 ( SM-T865 ) 4G 128GB

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab...-root-t3947806).

The Following User Says Thank You to rawaf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rawaf Ad-Free
7th September 2019, 08:39 PM |#6  

More
Thanks @ziotom2 thanks for sharing! Coming from the S5e this was familiar territory, although slightly different.

Speaking of the S5e here's a completely blatant advertising of my S5e debloat thread that AFAIK should also apply to the S6
https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab...-info-t3935010

Also, FYI, I've been very happy with the paid Play Store app 'CCSWE App Manager (SAMSUNG)'. Of course using adb you can achieve same results. Lots of guides available on xda.
7th September 2019, 10:40 PM |#7  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2,966

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwils3

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
8th September 2019, 12:39 AM |#8  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Root happiness
So very nice to find out a way to have root on this new tablet. I came from a Tab S 10.5 running LineageOS, so a refreshing upgrade to say the least.

Tried removing Bixby using Titanium and it caused the tablet to not to be able to boot and hang on the "Samsung" logo. So I restored the magisk_patched file using ODIN and I hoping it would not erase the hours I already had into it, but it did. I skipped the step to reset back to factory defaults and I ran out of space on the device when doing my restore. So I'm wondering, does this have some kind of A/B partition scheme like the Pixel phones? So I did the factory erase in recovery and it freed up the space. So now I'm currently doing my Internal storage restore and then my Titanium restore after that.

So how to I install Samsung updates now? Do I have to use ODIN and have it erase everything each time?

Also hoping to use LineageOS 16.0 or another custom rom so I can get rid of this Samsung version of Android.
8th September 2019, 01:00 PM |#9  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDos

Also hoping to use LineageOS 16.0 or another custom rom so I can get rid of this Samsung version of Android.

I bought the keyboard and I just hooked it up and I see that Dex turns the tablet into something like a Chrome like experience. That could make it very nice to take with me to do the occasional emergency IT work when I don't want to lug around my Thinkpad P70 workstation. I assume Dex is only part of the Samsung version of Android. If that is the case, then I may have to stick with just rooting the Samsung ROM. So I still need to figure out how to do updates then.
8th September 2019, 02:27 PM |#10  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2,966

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDos

So how to I install Samsung updates now? Do I have to use ODIN and have it erase everything each time?

You follow John Wu's instructions on how to patch the AP file with Magisk. You don't need to erase anything at all when you perform the firmware upgrade.
9th September 2019, 08:59 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.

I'm an adventurous sort (check my sig), so if you ever have something that needs testing just let me know.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)