Galaxy Tab Active 2 - forum ? for question on new tablet

Search This thread

oldcpu

Dec 17, 2011
Europe
My apologies for posting a question on what is most likely the wrong forum - but after 15-minutes of searching, I could not find the right forum for a new Galaxy Tab Active 2 question.

This is a question more related to software and may be more generic ?

My wife is the owner of a new Galaxy Tab Active 2 , and she is struggling to have her many Android applications installed not on the 16-GByte internal memory, but instead on a 128 GB microSD card she has in the Tablet. She has found various guides, but they either are not applicable to Active2 (as their menu options don't exist on Active 2) or they simply only work for some apps but not the necessary/important to her applications that she wants to transfer to the microSD card. In particular she would like the application "Line" ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.naver.line.android&hl=en ) and also "WhatsAPP' (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en) configured such that all their data goes on the microSD card. Unfortunately (especially for Line) she has not been able to do such.

Can anyone point me to the correct forum area ?

Again - my apologies for likely posting in the wrong area.

mark.mccv

Aug 9, 2017
I own tab active 2 sm-390 too. 16gb is really not enough. We can only wait some professional to root the machine. Once root, we can try 'adaptive storage' or other app like 'App2SD' to save internal storage.

mark.mccv

Aug 9, 2017
Just want to update you that I solve the storage problem.
1) You need to download the firmwire , extract the 'boot.img' file. Then, copy the file to your tablet.
2) Then, you have to install Magisk Manager and run the manager to patch the 'Boot.img'. In setting, remember to set the output file to odin format.
3) Copy the patched file to computer. In computer, run odin to install the patched file to tablet.
4) The tablet will then be reset. Now, the tablet is already rooted.
5) Then, run Apps2SD, you can move all apps to SD.
I am now have around 50 apps installed.

Drnms

Mar 19, 2018
Please a step by step

Awesome!
You are such a genius to give us this good news
Can you please provide us a step by step guide and also the links to the files so that we can follow.

Thank you so much

tsam19

Oct 22, 2011
I have the galaxy tab active 2 / T395 and have tried all the stand alone apks out there that claim they can root any android device; 'KingRoot, KingoRoot, OneClickRoot, z4mod.z4root, Rootmaster and Framaroot'. But do absolutely nothing for the T395 active 2.

However I can confirm that 'mark.mccv' method of rooting DOES WORK for the T395.

I guess the days of using CF-Auto Root & TWRP are over for the newer Nougat 7.1.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiteouttonight

tsam19

Oct 22, 2011
1) You need to download the firmwire , extract the 'boot.img' file. Then, copy the file to your tablet.
2) Then, you have to install Magisk Manager and run the manager to patch the 'Boot.img'. In setting, remember to set the output file to odin format.
3) Copy the patched file to computer. In computer, run odin to install the patched file to tablet.

You forgot to mention, when installing the 'patched_boot.img' you need to turn 'OFF' both the FRP & OEM locks. Otherwise, when trying to flash the 'patched_boot.img' through Odin on the PC.

The devices download screen shows 'custom binary boot file' blocked by the FRP & OEM locks......

For anyone stuck on this ROOT process , you turn off the FRP lock by just deleting your Google accounts from your devices settings page.

Remove, turn OFF the OEM lock , by going to 'settings' > 'developers tools' > 'oem unlock'

On flashing the patched_boot.img , you will see a verification screen page after reboot, which forces you to reset, reformat your device. So back up your files beforehand.

Once reset, your device is rooted, ready to install busybox , adaway etc.

Last edited:
May 20, 2014
Arlington
Well Crap...I just got my Nice, New, Sparkleing Tab Active2 and cant root it yet. I have the New US version SM-T397U Unlocked model. cant find a Stock firmware on Sammobile as of yet...any ideas?

EDIT: Neeeevermind... I did a lil hacking and cracking (for about 26min, lol) to find the files I needed for the SM-T397U. If anyone is looking for em let me know and I'll shoot em' your way. Guessing I'm the first person to root a T397U, hope more will follow. I havent even had this thing 6 hours yet. Thanks for the write up and all those that contributed to the tools and info.

Crap: posetd this is two threads, realized i was typeing in the wrong one, cut and pasted and still hit send. oops

Last edited:

maddada

Aug 2, 2011
Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Worked perfectly, Thank you very much!

WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING ON YOUR TABLET.
Backup all of your important files before you flash the patched boot.img using odin.
I tried to backup my app data using samsung switch and it worked, but didn't restore most of my device settings and all of my app data.
(Good thing I kept backups for my important apps that had in app backup functionality - like Nova launcher and Squid)

Also, If you are having any trouble, then you can take a look at this thread (more detailed): https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab/help/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-tab-active-2-t3775664

Last thing, you probably won't be able to get OTA updates after you perform these steps, it doesn't matter though since this tablet isn't going to be updated that frequently (The 8.0 update is going to come at the end of 2018, source)

cccedi

Jan 27, 2020
Bangalore
Did App data remain after rooting

Hi mark.mccv
Please confirm if the data remained (i.e. was not erased) after the rooting?

Thanks in advance.

cRy0g3n!u$

Feb 22, 2021
I just came across a little gem, my uncle Gave me his T397U that he used to use for work, but has since upgraded!!!! I was so stoked until I powered up to realize that’s its full on knox mdm and is running what I’m assuming is the OS from his job, accessing reg samsung os at all is only possible through safe mode at the present moment ...I apologize if I’m in the wrong area, I’m vey New and honestly not even navigating around the boards to efficiently just yet ! Hopefully someone will want to throw me a bone! Thank you all for the amazing plethora of information!!!!

arvik67

May 31, 2008
Hello.Can anyone help?Galaxy Tab Actyve 2 SM-T395 I enter the home screen pin code at startup and the home screen appears, but after 5 seconds it starts again and then asks for the pin code again and it keeps doing it again. I also did a HARD RESET but it didn't help.I reinstall the android with Odin and it shows that the re-partition operation failed immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_062337_5.jpg
    IMG_20230830_062337_5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230831_122858_5.jpg
    IMG_20230831_122858_5.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the galaxy tab active 2 / T395 and have tried all the stand alone apks out there that claim they can root any android device; 'KingRoot, KingoRoot, OneClickRoot, z4mod.z4root, Rootmaster and Framaroot'. But do absolutely nothing for the T395 active 2.

However I can confirm that 'mark.mccv' method of rooting DOES WORK for the T395.

I guess the days of using CF-Auto Root & TWRP are over for the newer Nougat 7.1.1