Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[TRICK] How to avoid Google Play Service update

70 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By halnovemila, Member on 27th November 2014, 07:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
In /data/app folder make a new folder with name com.google.android.gms-1.apk
(to make the folder use a file manager app or the command "su" followed by "mkdir /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk" with a Terminal Emulator app and Busybox installed.
NOTE: Making a new folder in /data partition require root permissions so the Andriod system must be rooted first)
That's it!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
owners of smartphone with very limited internal storage, like Galaxy Y, will likely end up to be concerned of every single MB of free space lost; and the more the concern as the free space is getting closer to zero.

So there I am too.
I've put lot of effort to optimize the use of my Galaxy Y internal storage (/system, /data and /cache partitions all together) and I'm proud to have more than 50% of internal storage free and I like to have it that way for as long time as possibile.

Yesterday I had a very bad surprise... I suddenly lost 55% (actually 55MB) of free space for some unknow reason
Later, it turned out that the reason was that the Google Play Service had been silently updated in the background without any notification.

Actually the footprint of newer version of Google Play Service has a huge increase of 28MB... almost +78%!
The new apk size is 15MB bigger and a system integration of the update not only might likely eats up all the free space available in the /system partition, but still will need to use additional 13MB in /data partition.

Uninstalling the update was just a matter of tapping one button... but then another background update would have happen soon after.

So, to prevent the update from happening again, I used the same kind of trick used to avoid the self update of Google Play Store, as explained here [TRICK] How to stop Google Play Store self update - easy!

That's all folks!
Bye!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to halnovemila For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift halnovemila Ad-Free

27th November 2014, 07:56 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 3,497

More
What I used to do was uninstall the Google play services
Then open YouTube
It will say you have to install Google play services
Click the link to install it & it will allow you to download it from the playstore
You can then move or link it to sd card with link2sd

I prefer always having the latest versions of apps as they tend to eliminate bugs - yes it might be a larger file size but you can move or link the apk to sd
27th November 2014, 08:35 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the hint Marcus

I simply hate when my device is modified without my previous consent.

I want to be the one who decide what to update and when to update because each update might have a cost (in terms of storage space, in terms of data plan usage, in terms of risks of unexpected apps or system errors).

Furthermore I've put lot of effort to make my phone system configuration in such a way that it can still be fully functional even without SD (as in case of a SD failure) or with a brand new empty one; so I've put all the most important applications (Internet browser, Youtube, Google Play Store, Google Play Service, Shake Calc, QuickPic, Maps, GMail, QuickOffice, FM radio, Camera, Root Explorer, Tethering Widget, Terminal Emulator, Flashlight, VNC_Server, SSHDroid, VoipCheapGlobal and few others) in /system and /data partitions and there I want them to stay

All the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to halnovemila For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift halnovemila Ad-Free
20th December 2014, 08:23 AM |#4  
Flag Ahmedabad
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussmith2626

What I used to do was uninstall the Google play services
Then open YouTube
It will say you have to install Google play services
Click the link to install it & it will allow you to download it from the playstore
You can then move or link it to sd card with link2sd

I prefer always having the latest versions of apps as they tend to eliminate bugs - yes it might be a larger file size but you can move or link the apk to sd

how to stop play services auto update???????????
25th February 2015, 08:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
What I found was that on my custom rom (cm 10.1.3) google play services was installed as /system/app/GmsCore.apk which was the version that I had installed when I flashed a gapps zip file right after I had initially installed the rom. If I only had this version installed then the play store app would not auto-update google play services. However as soon as I updated google play services from the play store manually it was installed as /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk and as long as it was installed here the play store would auto-update it whenever it wanted without asking or informing me. I even tried doing chattr +i com.google.android.gms-1.apk as some other people have mentioned but then it would just install the new version as com.google.android.gms-2.apk, etc...

I clicked on "uninstall updates" for the google play services app and it removed the /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk file and went back to not auto updating. The problem is that I wanted to use some google apps that would not work with the older /system/app/GmsCore.apk version but I wanted to install a slightly newer version but not have it get auto-updated.

So what I ended up doing was to get the slightly newer version and copy it to /system/app/GmsCore.apk. As long as there is no google services apk in /data/app/ it seems that it will not get auto-updated. This allows me to maintain control over when/if It ever gets updated.
Also note that I have applied a no self-update patch from lucky patcher to my google play store (v4.3.11). I don't know if this is also needed to prevent googleplay services from auto updating.

The reason that I do not want to use the recent (>=4.4) versions of google play services is that they now include a firmware updater service that was transferring a ton of data in the background for no reason as mentioned here. The slightly older version that I am now using (4.3.25) does not have this.
I could have just disabled the service but if it is allowed to auto-update itself then it is possible that it will just get re-enabled or some other battery draining/data using feature will get added.
I would rather maintain control over all the software that is installed on my device instead of allowing google to do whatever they want without asking or even informing me.

Basically if you have the google play store app installed on your phone it allows google to install whatever they want on your phone whenever they want without your consent or notification. (unless you do a lot of hacking to disable it)
This seems pretty crazy to me and I am not sure if most people realize this. Who owns your phone? Is it you or google?
Sorry about the rant...
25th February 2015, 09:25 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Hi garbb,
thanks for posting your rant it provides some interesting infos on different scenario than mine which is stock rom with Google Play service installed in system folder.

I also like to express my agreement on the reasons you stated that had led you to find a way to stop the self auto update.

I guess that the patch you applied with lucky patcher is what prevents the auto update to work.

But basically the trick that I posted here should work on your system too as it actually prevent the update process to copy the new updated version of the app in the destination folder that is /data/app

If Google Play Service is been updated once already (so there's a apk in /system and one in /data/app) then the the latest installed version is already named com.google.android.gms-1.apk and placed in /data/app so the update process will name the new updated apk as com.google.android.gms-2.apk.
So, in order to make the update process to fail you just have to make a /data/app/com.google.android.gms-2.apk folder.

Or you might want to integrate to /system the updated version that you like to have (eventually by using link2SD or Titanium Backup), then make /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk folder to make to fail future auto update attempts.

25th February 2015, 01:51 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul54321

how to stop play services auto update???????????

Trick doesn't work.
25th February 2015, 02:21 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrocio

Trick doesn't work.

Well, it's possible that the trick doesn't work for you (there's also a chance that as for garbb user you have to change the folder name digit to something greater than 1) but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work for everyone.

For me it works and I proved it on a youtube video that shows how to use the same trick to make the Google Play Store update to fail.

It would be nice if you can provide some more infos on your smartphone OS and Google Play Service version, just for the record and to get some clues on why eventually the trick doesn't work for you.
25th February 2015, 02:26 PM |#9  

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnovemila

Well, it's possible that the trick doesn't work for you (there's also a chance that as for garbb user you have to change the folder name digit to something greater than 1) but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work for everyone.

For me it works and I proved it on a youtube video that shows how to use the same trick to make the Google Play Store update to fail.

It would be nice if you can provide some more infos on your smartphone OS and Google Play Service version, just for the record and to get some clues on why eventually the trick doesn't work for you.

I've tried both 5.0.89 and 6.1.88 (034) , nexus one, with latest euroskank rom from october. Also tried disable from play store on top of this "trick". The gms updates itself every time. I wouldn't mind it so much but it doesn't ask me and i want full control over whats happening on my device but still keep access to device manager.

edit: also tried with stock cm and marketupdater frozen on both, same result.
25th February 2015, 03:16 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrocio

I've tried both 5.0.89 and 6.1.88 (034) , nexus one, with latest euroskank rom from october. Also tried disable from play store on top of this "trick". The gms updates itself every time. I wouldn't mind it so much but it doesn't ask me and i want full control over whats happening on my device but still keep access to device manager.

edit: also tried with stock cm and marketupdater frozen on both, same result.

Well, I'm not really an expert on custom roms, and I never heard of euroskank so I did what I always do... a Google search
What I found is a site that provides cyanogenmod roms, so if that's the case we can wait for garbb and see if he has any good news that can be useful for you too Verrocio

In my case I'm using stock rom for Galaxy Y, and Google Play Service ver. 5.0.89 hasn't got an auto update anymore since I used the trick I posted above.
25th February 2015, 03:23 PM |#11  

More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnovemila

Well, I'm not really an expert on custom roms, and I never heard of euroskank so I did what I always do... a Google search
What I found is a site that provides cyanogenmod roms, so if that's the case we can wait for garbb and see if he has any good news that can be useful for you too Verrocio

In my case I'm using stock rom for Galaxy Y, and Google Play Service ver. 5.0.89 hasn't got an auto update anymore since I used the trick I posted above.

You may want to consider going to 6.1.88 since it was the last cleanup version in its "class" to include http>>s<< api support. (from what we can tell by the changelogs)
But the jury is still out on that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)