FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TRICK] How to stop Google Play Store self update - easy!

72 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

By halnovemila, Member on 24th November 2014, 08:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
In /data/app folder make a new folder with name com.android.vending-1.apk
(to make the folder use a file manager app or the command "su" followed by "mkdir /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk" with a Terminal Emulator app and Busybox installed.
NOTE: Making a new folder in /data partition require root permissions so the Andriod system must be rooted first)
That's it!

Hello everyone,
owners of smartphone with very limited internal storage, like Galaxy Y, will likely end up to be concerned of every single MB of free space lost; and the more the concern as the free space is getting closer to zero.

So there I am too.
I've put lot of effort to optimize the use of my Galaxy Y internal storage (/system, /data and /cache partitions all together) and I'm proud to have more than 50% of internal storage free and I like to have it that way for as long time as possibile.

One day, few weeks ago, I got very disappointed when I realized that I suddenly lost 15% (actually 15MB) of free space for some unknow reason
Later, it turned out that the reason was that the Google Play Store had been silently updated in the background without any notification.

Actually the footprint of newer version of Google Play Store is only 4MB bigger but as the previous version was installed in /system partition then the update process doesn't actually perform a replacement of the old installation with the new one, but it just add the newer app leaving the old installation untouched (that means leaving in place the old apk file along with its davilk-cache file) but marked as disabled.

Uninstalling the update (that in my opinion, for my needs and usage, was useless) was just a matter of tapping one button... but then another background update would have happen soon after.

So, as I didn't find any related option in Google Play Store settings, I immediately started a Google search to find a way to prevent/avoid/stop any further self update.

What I've found is only two solutions:
- one is about to freeze/disable the app that manage the update of Google Play Store; but this app doesn't longer exist or it's used as the latest Google Play Store app handle the self update by its own.

- the other one is to make a "dummy" file in /data/app that will make the installation of the update to fail as the required name for the new apk is already in use by the dummy file.
Unfortunately for those smartphones, like the Samsung Galaxy Y, where the /data partition is formatted RFS (Robust File System from Samsung; basically a FAT 16/32 based file system with a sort of journalling system on it) this solution doesn't work because RFS doesn't support the immutable file attribute and therefore the "chattr +i" command will fail.
If the dummy file isn't set as immutable then the installation task will be able to delete it and make the new apk in /data/app folder.

As an attempt to make the second solution, the "dummy file solution", to work with my Galaxy Y, I made the immutable dummy file in another partition then I created a link in /data/app pointing to that file.
But that didn't work... same as for the not immutable dummy file, the link can be deleted by the installation task that will then proceed till completion.

So what to try next?
From what I've read around seems that there's no solution; owners of Galaxy Y (that didn't reformat the /data partition with a Ext2/3/4) and other smartphone with RFS filesystem are simply out of luck.

True?
No! False!
I then remembered the days I used to make a autorun.inf folder in the root of my FAT32 formatted USB thumbdrive to prevent removable drive spreading viruses to make their own autorun.inf file in the thumbdrive.
So... why not to try the same trick to make the installation of the Google Play Store update to fail due to the impossibility to make it's own com.android.vending-1.apk file in /data/app folder?

Tried it...

and tested...

SUCCESS!

As a side note I want to point it out that this trick doesn't prevent the Google Play Store to try to self update and download the latest installer in the /cache folder.

Anyway I've observed that after the first failure of the update there are no further update attempts neither new downloads... at least for a while (maybe till next new version will be released?)

I don't know how long it takes, after the first update failure, for the downloaded apk in /cache folder to be automatically deleted... if ever; so I advise you to give a look at the /cache folder and manually delete it if still there.

That's all folks!
Bye!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to halnovemila For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift halnovemila Ad-Free

24th November 2014, 08:53 AM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 3,798

More
Why don't you just integrate update to system with link2sd app

It will just replace the system app with the new update - you get the latest update and you not using any extra space with two versions of the app

Root required & restart after integrating (or it will force close)
24th November 2014, 11:27 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
That could be done, of course, but still there's a loss of 2MB of free space in /data and 2MB in /system due to the bigger footprint of the latest version.

Anyway is completely up to a personal choice if to upgrade or not.
The point here is that if someone doesn't want Google Play Store to self update now there's a known way to do so
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halnovemila For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift halnovemila Ad-Free
10th December 2014, 03:34 PM |#4  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 342

More
Another way to do this is to did a modded play store apk here on XDA. A modded apk has been signed with a different key and therefore it cannot be updated by Google.

Uninstall any updates to the Play Store and put the modded apk in the system apps folder replacing the one on your phone, make a backup just in case. Reboot and you should have a play store that doesn't update.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to spunker88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spunker88 Ad-Free
19th December 2014, 12:26 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
good trick bro
save quota internet
19th December 2014, 04:00 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin2m

good trick bro
save quota internet

Thanks for the highfive bro

Anyway I'm afraid that, as I pointed out at the bottom of my 1st post, even if the trick makes the update to fail (same as per the immutable "dummy file" trick) but it doesn't prevent Google Play Store to download the newer version (9MB of data or more) for the upgrade attempt; so the Internet quota is still affected.
10th July 2015, 07:44 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
How to stop updating play store WITHOUT root .. I need to have 4.x.x. installed but it auto updates to 5.x.x how to stop it
(cannot root my phone)
thnx
10th July 2015, 11:57 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
I'm sorry but I'm afraid that without root privileges there's no way to avoid the self update of Google Play Store as this app is designed to self update and doesn't expose any option/settings that the user might use in order to disable that function.
So, as the self update can't be disabled by power of user account, it's required to operate at system level and therefore root privileges are needed.
11th July 2015, 08:38 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnovemila

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that without root privileges there's no way to avoid the self update of Google Play Store as this app is designed to self update and doesn't expose any option/settings that the user might use in order to disable that function.
So, as the self update can't be disabled by power of user account, it's required to operate at system level and therefore root privileges are needed.

Fuking google bas****ds are they ?
4th September 2015, 08:09 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Wow, sneaky! This is obviously a far superior solution to my chattr method. Wish I'd thought of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to lexelby For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexelby Ad-Free
9th December 2015, 01:32 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
this fix is no longer working it still forced the new version right after the commands
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)